Podcast 196. Nate and the special snowflake comment

January 2018 I listened to podcast #1-3. I stopped immediately. So boring, dry, lacking personality.

About August 2018 I started listening again to the first available podcast on Spotify (which for some reason was like #60-ish [maybe I just didn’t dig deep enough]) and listened through every podcast until I got caught up. At which point, I discovered the earlier episodes that I skipped initially and started listening from there, even giving #1-3 a chance again since I’m so much more grown up now. But again, those early podcasts are rooooough. I am actually happy I didn’t start at #1 again because my goodness it was not very engaging, simply question, answer, move on. I wouldn’t have listened beyond #3 again.

In those early episodes I fast forwarded quite a lot because it was dry. But then @Nate_Pearson showed up on one, then another and another, until he was a staple. He was what Johnathan and Chad needed, as prior to Nate the other two would simply answer the question and move on. Then you have Nate, who is so inquisitive and thinks of questions that were the same ones on my mind that weren’t answered from Johnathan and Chad initially.

Nate’s inquisitive, slightly neurotic, nature is what makes the podcast. His personality and quick witted interjections when Chad goes deep sea diving level scientifically on something is what stops me from fast-forwarding. He then will do a summary for the not-so-scientifically interested folks and my ears perk up again!

I don’t want to sound like a fan-girl, but if Nate were not there, my goodness it would be quite a bit boring…and I would have given up a long time ago. I have never once thought his questions were for selfish reasons. And seriously, if that were the case, don’t you think he would just ask all the questions he wants for selfish purposes off-air?

5 Likes

I love that this thread keeps getting pushed back to the top of the forum feed, because every time I read the thread title in my head I hear Nate is a Special Snowflake (@Nate_Pearson) and it it makes me laugh.

8 Likes

Sometimes I hope it dies like Frosty…haha

1 Like

I like it. But I am 6 foot 6 with size 13 feet. No yellow socks though.

Just want to add my support to the podcast, forum and TR in general. I think you all do a wonderful job, and your passion and enthusiasm shine through. Still not sure what a snowflake is in this context…

2 Likes

Sometimes english as a second language rocks. You just understand what you wnat to understand so @Nate_Pearson’s stories dont bother me at all :slight_smile: . I stopped listening podcasts because I switched to Youtube channel. Lots of fun and p erfect timing for my Thursday evenings in this part of the world.

Keep going guys, there are always lots to take away from these shows.

Thanks

2 Likes

When it comes to the podcast -

Yes, it does disappear down the ‘special snowflake’ rabbit hole occasionally
And sometimes there does appear to be a lot of banter before the users questions come up

That said

Every podcast has valuable hints, tips and nuggets of information that I’ve not seen or heard anywhere else in such an easily digestible and enjoyable format.

And…anyone who freely documents their ‘special snowflake’ successes, failures, plans, experiments, theories, hiccups etc for the potential benefit of others has my admiration and I’ll certainly keep listening.

1 Like

As an absolute beginner to cycling and TR I really like 95 per cent of all the questions you ask and how they relate to you.

Sometimes sections of the podcast do become “the Nate show”. However I like that and I find your enthusiasm and interruptions inspiring, so thanks.

1 Like

I did get bored by the podcast as well, I used to listen to it religiously but gave up after a while since it was mostly repetitive question year after year,

the personal stories? I just skip them,

I echo all of the positive comments that have been made about the podcast and the hosts. There is nothing new to say in that regard, so I won’t rehash those comments.

However, I would like to add a positive comment about this forum. This thread started off with one comment of mild criticism, which has turned into a ~200 comment thread of positive comments with very little name calling or trolling - a near impossibility on the internet these days. So, kudos to all for being adults and treating each other with respect. This is one of the many reasons I keep coming back here.

12 Likes

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is actually the total opposite haha. I love hearing about specific cases. I love hearing race recaps and especially the experiences. And of course the questions that readers pour in are great for building knowledge.

Personally I think the podcast is a great blend of information and entertainment. If I only wanted information I would load up pubmed and read study after study.

5 Likes

I don’t care if @Nate_Pearson is a special snowflake. I actually love Nate on the podcast. I think he is great comic relief at times and he’s willing to try just about anything on a bike. I think that’s awesome. Comments along the lines of “I know all the science says…, but I do the opposite and it works for me.” are awesome and funny. Keep it up @Nate_Pearson

3 Likes

I want to chime in as a relatively recent convert to this podcast, forum and TR in general I find it absolutely stellar. I have binged hard through the whole catalog and it drove me to A- stop listening to some other cycling podcasts and B- Sign up for TR and drop my other virtual training program. The format of the podcast (fielding questions from listeners) combined with three people in different life stages and cycling careers is extraordinarily helpful for me. As a cat 4 road racer, I really appreciate @Nate_Pearson and his honest questions on how to approach things, while they may be stated from his own perspective I (and many others) can totally relate… they often fall in the context of questions I’ve been scared to ask or didn’t have someone to ask (and things someone like Chad doesn’t need to ask). I found the other podcast I was listening to prior while helpful, was like trying to join a P1/2 field… Things are often so high level I can’t relate. Having @chad (can’t tell if tagging the correct chad, Hopefully) and @Jonathan all on together with Nate is so helpful, because sometimes one of their explanations doesn’t make as much sense or resonate with me, but then one of the others does. Long and short of it, users and listeners should express frustrations, but I would like to be sure to be someone adding my praise to both your show and product, I truly hope the company continues to succeed and you all stay involved in the show. Cheers, Stu

4 Likes

Yup, that is THE Coach Chad.

I am #TheOtherChad (Chad McNeese, active forum member and NOT a coach).

1 Like

I’ve felt the same thing with quite a few of these contentious threads/topics. Civility on the internet…who knew it was possible!?

1 Like

I’ve been in discussion with DimensionData at conference about how they gather, process and utilise data on the TdF - you should give them a bell. It was a few years back now actually, in London. Jason Goodall iirc.

Hello to all.

I can only hope that the podcast stays as it is, for me, the best podcast about cycling and training there is. This is like the BBC Top Gear but for cycling.

Please, do us the favor of carrying on the good work.

Antonio

5 Likes

I’m a bit late to the thread but assuming we can still be constructive, I have had similar thoughts cross my mind.

I liked the recent podcast where I think Nate said something about people thinking that they’re not human or something - it was bang on the money.

The vast majority of people think they are very different from the other 7 billion people out there. They’re not! :rofl:

I genuinely think this is the root of so much distress and suffering in our culture.

I think the stats are something like 2% of the population have gluten intolerance but 20% think they do, in a bid to confirm how different they are. It’s madness!

Yep. Nutrition is a critical subject matter but it seems like Nate’s diet is some kind of crazy continual carb overload no one else should be doing. Maybe it isn’t?

It seems to have come out of US culture in the last 30yrs that everyone needs a diagnosis, everyone has some kind of condition to be treated. Anything that emphasises that 99% of us can do just fine eating the same diet as each other, would be good.

1 Like

I 100% agree with this. I love the podcast, and find @Nate_Pearson’s enthusiasm absolutely engaging; it’s one of the best things about the podcast. I find his excitement and constant quest for something new, or improvements in his cycling, so relatable.

I mainly do Duathlon or TT racing but I still find myself engaged by Leadville anecdotes or @Jonathan’s MTB training.

Keep it up guys.

4 Likes

It’s interesting that you brought this up because I was beginning to mock Nate’s questions as I listened. The questions will start off generic but quickly turn specifically about him. Thanks for saying something. This will only help the podcast to get better, I hope.

3 Likes