Podcast 196. Nate and the special snowflake comment

Only problem I have with the AACC podcast and that is it keeps @Jonathan from spending more time on the MTB Podcast.

Carry on…

-Mark

4 Likes

TR is the best podcast out there, let it evolve naturally.

3 Likes

Something I learned long ago, " a customer who complains, typically wants to continue doing business with the company in question. The unhappy non complaining customer will usually just disappear." Kudos to the op for airing his concerns (albeit, unpopular) in hopes of bettering the product.

8 Likes

I Loved that podcast.

1 Like

Really admire the positivity that has come out of this thread. I love listening to the podcast and find the stories and questions very engaging. @Nate_Pearson asking questions about his racing and his personal goals helps make the crew feel more real. Listening about their struggles with training because of family and other life distractions just makes it feel like a causal conversation where they are trying to help the everyday cyclist. I can’t wait to start using Trainer Road once I get a trainer here in the next couple months, solely because I want to support this podcast and the work they do.
Also kudos to @Nate_Pearson for his response in seeking feedback, it shows his dedication to his product and seeking to make everyone a faster cyclist!

3 Likes

I may not race crits, but want to take corners safe and fast, so I like hearing from Nate and Pete. I may not be tall, but I am still affected by aerodynamics and learn from any discussions about it. And I may not swim (unless I’m drowning) or run (unless I’m being chased) but I still enjoyed hearing how the various Kona competitors pursued their goals and overcame their particular issues (cramping, finding time to train … etc.).

I think it’s not so much the specificity of a question that makes it poorly suited to the podcast, but the inability of a question to shed light on some broader themes. I don’t think any of the discussions I’ve heard on the podcast–whether from the hosts, guests, or questions sent from listeners–had that problem.

2 Likes

The most important thing for Nate to remember in 2019:

Do NOT run into any cactus.

4 Likes

If you are/were even an occasional listener you would know they buy everything they use. In fact, they have gone on multiple diatribes over multiple podcasts about why they do so.

I just want to say that I absolutely enjoy all 3 of the guys giving their race recaps and their experiences. I have grown to feel like a friend is telling me about their race. I could see others not enjoying that aspect of the podcast though.

I would listen to a podcast just about what you guys are doing. I’m sitting here following you all on social media to get a small glimpse of what is going on at 24HOP and patiently waiting for the podcast to hear all about it

6 Likes

Been getting rubbed the wrong way with his constant interruptions and his “about me”.
If a filter could count how many “I”'s Jonathan & Chad use, we would see what the content is per presenter (science studies / hypothetical scenarios / me! )
His race confidence is cringy (not a big deal if you’re strong & in lower categories; but to think you can advise other people…)

As a fellow 6’6" rider, with a demanding job in tech and kids (I’m also about the same age)…I appreciate it when Nate asks specific questions, especially because the combination of these things isn’t so common that it’s being discussed somewhere else already.

Thanks Nate.

2 Likes

There are. Try the mountain route or Alpe du Zwift.

2 Likes

Personally, I really enjoy the contributions all 3 make. It’s refreshing and hilarious how Nate is able to draw attention to his “weaknesses”.
There are plenty of podcasts that are JUST educational and lack entertainment value.
The Trainer rd podcast brings a smile to my week.
Please don’t change it.
And Nate, special snow flake or not, I’m impressed by the upper body strength work you’ve been doing lately.
Keep up the good work Team :grinning:

1 Like

Nate, what I love about you guys is that you are all so honest. You hold nothing back from your FTP to your dexa results, something I find is rare even amongst amateurs. I was discussing this with a friend not too long ago and we both agreed that this is why your podcasts are so popular, you’re all speaking from a viewpoint that we can all relate to. You’re never going to please all of the people all of the time and I feel FatBoySlim’s comment is totally out of context. I WANT to hear what you have to say, I find it very interesting. I am a triathlon coach and each person has their own problems whether that be height or an illness and some of the things you have mentioned have been very valuable to me. Please do not alter anything. You have a winning formula and there’s no point fixing something that isn’t broken.

4 Likes

FWIW, I’d rather aspire to be a special snowflake than aspire to be average. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Please leave this podcast format as it is and just be yourself. You are covering topics and questions that the majority wants to hear and that’s absolutely fine.

Don’t make this a podcast that seeks maximum conformity with the taste of the masses… Just maintain that natural conversation between you guys and try to forget that the microphone is running.

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. A guy built a sandbox. He invited you to play in it. You decided that you do not like playing in it. So rather than just leaving said sandbox, you attack the builder for not playing correctly? Bizarre.

3 Likes

What a ridiculous statement. I AM A DIABETIC and it is my responsibility to know how to eat to take care of MY health. You are just looking for things to bitch about and playing a victim here. You signed up for a training app and got a free podcast on the side. Not the other way around. It is really petty to come out and cal someone out because the topic they are speaking about or the manner in which they do it does not suit you. Whatever happened to skipping, forwarding or possibly ignoring something you don’t like or find of little value. I think we are all grown ups and can decide for ourselves wether or not we want to listen.
As a diabetic - your statement is offensive and really just dumb. I hope to god that your friend is smart enough to not eat 5 bowls of sugary cereal.

3 Likes

I love the podcast. Numerous benefits to listening to it, and entertainment is one of them! I feel like I’m having a post-ride coffee with you all and just enjoying the banter, the chirping and all the information. I had a lot of driving to do this weekend and just played episode after episode. My young son, however, did ask why there was so much discussion on mucus - which caused me to laugh. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish they were transcribed. I like to take notes to read later.

1 Like

@FatBoySlim You’ve said a couple of times you will talk to your PT to get more info from him. Why? If he wants to express his views, he has every opportunity to. Let this just be your comment, your feelings, and your view. You don’t have to back it up or get support. It’s out there and others have responded for or against. No one is mad…we just all have our own views.

1 Like