Podcast 204: Jonathan Should be in Marketing ;-)

Let’s not have a competition to see who’s more British…

Anyway, I’m off down the chippy. God save the Queen

3 Likes

I know TR has stated that they do [not] want to be responsible for MERCH, but I think it would be soooooo awesome rock TR shirts, caps, socks, etc. I am aware of the 3rd party TR kit, but I would like to demonstrate my TR fan-boy status at more than just the local crit.

Yeah, your best bet right now is to attend an event along with one of the members. They often have gear (bottles, hats, shirts, stickers, etc.) to share with people.

I agree that flying the TR colors is very cool and I am proud to do so when I can.

I don’t think that can possibly be true, unless your whole reason for getting on a bike is solely to train. But most of us are training for something beyond training’s sake. Those events do influence, sometimes dramatically, the weekly training load.

The TR crew does seem to discourage replacing workouts with group rides, but typically the plans are flexible enough to account for weekend races. And they have addressed in previous podcasts things like going out and doing 1 crit on a Saturday instead of the scheduled workout (it’s a dramatic decrease in training load, despite the extra intensity, and requires you to make up for it in some way - despite “not all TSS being created equal”). Edit: one more edit – they tend to look more closely at Time in Zone instead of TSS.

Point being the TSS per week and ramp rates that you are shooting for are baked into the plan. If you follow it with some consistency you should end up in the ballpark.

Ideally your key events will be during specialty phase which is lower TSS anyway. If not, one day of doing something different (race, group ride, rest day) isn’t going to create enough of a downstream change in performance to really matter.

2 Likes

The latest edition of Training and Racing book has a 28 page chapter on using power with PMC to assist in timing fitness peaks to A events. My favorite line:

“Successfully using the Performance Manager entails some degree of art, and you may need some time to become a good artist.”

In other words, not only is all TSS is not created equal, all Performance Manager data is not created equal. To my eyes the originators of the PMC put far more emphasis on using PMC for big-picture analysis (versus using to manage daily training decisions).

2 Likes

Dry humor is great, but is hard to translate in pure text, especially between those without a prior history of that practice.

Your addition of the winky in the title is helpful, and IMHO, something long those lines is a requirement for dry humor and/or sarcasm on forums like this. It’s often too much to expect your intent to be taking well with text only, unfortunately.

That said, keep it coming as it’s all good in the hood :smiley:

Good idea. You’d probably win anyhow, damn that Canadian great grandmother! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Blimey… I chose a good first posting!

Glad everyone is smiling. Have a great Memorial Day all of you guys across the pond.

Meanwhile in Scotland just another wet Bank Holiday in prospect.

Ideal for training indoors then. :grinning:

2 Likes

Kind of my whole point… I don’t think it’s just “to your eyes” but rather their obvious intention that the PMC is big picture focused. As far as TSS, it’s not meant to be a valuation of quality, but rather a “simple” measure of cardiovascular load.

The metrics aren’t the issue here.

TSS is not a simple measure cardiovascular load from everything I’ve read and understand.

• What is TSS?Training Stress Score (TSS) is a composite number that takes into account the duration and intensity of a workout to arrive at a single estimate of the overall training load and physiological stress created by that training session. It is conceptually modeled after the heart rate-based training impulse (TRIMP). By definition, one hour spent at Functional Threshold Power (FTP) is equal to 100 points.

From TP. My apologies, I meant to say physiological, but as it was initially TRIMP based I said cardio thinking (HR) and have definitely heard it stated as such from coaches.

Either way, I’ll continue to use TSS and the PMC to monitor and manage my training. They seem to work just fine.

1 Like

“and might be best viewed as a predictor of the amount of glycogen utilized in each workout.”

From the guy that created TSS Normalized Power, Intensity Factor and Training Stress Score | TrainingPeaks

1 Like

I’ve been suffering from that lately.

Mike

1 Like