Other Podcast Recommendations (non-TR) 2018-19

Awesome interview with ex-Aussie pro Will Walker. He was touted as the next big thing but had really bad heart issues. Vo2 similar or bigger than Cadel’s :muscle:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/79lJyW8KdahCjvp0BVDNgM?si=iiY-N5CDRhyZXBkaMPh1Wg

Ohhh that first Sword and Scale is creepy

Yeah. I have a pretty high tolerance for gore and violence but there’s a few that I have just had to turn off because I don’t need those thoughts in my head. Some genuine lunatics out there.

I listen to most of these but will check out a couple I wasn’t aware of, thanks. BTW I really like the FasCat podcast.

Will throw in The Cycling Podcast (I think that’s what it’s called), with Lionel Birnie, Richard Moore and Daniel Friebe. Road focussed and not tech or training based at all but always a good listen.

3 Likes

I also listen to Cycling Tips and Flo. I selectively listen to the Sonya Looney one, Jonathan’s MTB one, and the Rapha one.

1 Like

One of the newer ones, by Silca

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I listened to Josh when they interviewed him on the Faster podcast. It was a great listen about tire pressures.

I’m hanging out for the promised Hour Record episode.

+1. I also recommend the audio version. This book is like a mental training plan in that it comes with exercises, you get a PDF download link with the audio, so you are doing exercises on the worksheets so instead of just hearing about an idea on the mental side of athletic training, you actual do it.

2 Likes

by far Ben Greenfield - will sell anything to anyone. Just look up his recent anti-vaccine post on Twitter.

Zen & The Art of Triathlon.
Really good interviews and a good take on training and life.

1 Like

I’ve recently started re-listening to Open Mic with Mike Creed and it might be my favorite podcast ever. He’s a surprisingly great interviewer, throwing in some really insightful questions amidst all the jokes.

Another defunct podcast that’s worth a listen is Going Off Track (for fans of pop culture but mostly alternative/punk music, not cycling related). It’s also really irreverent, the hosts have great chemistry and all of the guests have crazy stories from touring and performing. It’s got 300+ episodes and has gotten me through many a sweet spot interval (and roller sessions in the pre-TR days).

Creed is a natural at it. Would like to see him back , but sometimes you just can’t go back.
I was looking forward to the Adam Blythe interviews on ‘The Cycling Podcast’ as he seemed to have that same laid back attitude. However it just isn’t the same :frowning: c’est la vie.

God I love the Trainer Road podcast. Are there any other fitness podcasts near this quality out there?

1 Like

Velonews Fast Talk (now Fast Labs)

That Triathlon Show (I’m not a triathlete but the show contains a lot of general endurance training talk)

Sigma Nutrition Radio

ClimbSci - (climbing oriented but lots of general sports nutrition information)

The Consumate Athlete Podcast

1 Like

Crushing Iron is the bomb. Triathlon and life. Real different to TR though.

Flo Podcast is similar science stuff to TR, but without the humour or as much content.

IM Talk : listened to this for years
Watts Occurring: Not as regular as i’d like but entertaining - hosted by Geraint Thomas & Luke Rowe

Athletes Unfiltered - Strava

The Hidden Athlete

Wheel Suckers Podcast

Death in the Afternoon (kidding, it’s a mortician’s podcast)

Empirical Cycling Podcast, it’s very sciency, but I love science.

2 Likes

I really like Steve Magness’s podcast:

You won’t get “how exactly should I train” answers (because there really are none), but you will get a lot to think about regarding balance and seeing the long view, about everything from training strategies to motivational strategies to how coaches manage a group of athletes.

1 Like