Pomegranate Extract Improves Maximal Performance of Trained Cyclists after an Exhausting Endurance Trial: A Randomised Controlled Trial

Interesting new study on Pomegranate extract:

Increase time to exhaustion and time to second ventilatory threshold.

There was also noted to be a decrease in CRP (which is an inflammatory marker) and CK (noted to be elevated in muscle breakdown).

It is unclear what is the best way to supplement Pomegranate that is similar to the supplement that was studied.

I have been drinking a pomegranate juice concentrate (powdered) from Amazon.

Everyone ought to read Good to Go (ā€An eye-opening exploration of how the human body can best recover and adapt to sports and fitness training.ā€) , recently out by Christie Aschwanden. [Amazon.com] She is Mrs Scientific Method and debunks almost all recovery ā€™methodsā€™. Donā€™t think she saw this study yet, Iā€™ve reached out to ser if she might hava a peek at this particular studs too. I Will read carefully too. Letā€™s discuss methodology :wink: ping @chad

This was mentioned by Chad in the last podcast. The boys all seemed to take it very seriously.

Yes, the discussion was measured! Kudos.

Is anyone aware of any trusted brands that are available?

A quick google, or amazon search results in all sorts of offerings. I donā€™t know enough about this stuff to trust what the internet offersšŸ˜¬

Has anyone tried it yet?

I just bought a bag from Bulk Supplements that will last me 2 years at 1/2 teaspoon per day every day.

Pomegranate Extract 40% Ellagic acid.

Serving size - 750mg
Servings per container- 1332

Recommended dose is 750mg(scant 1/4 tsp) twice daily

Each 750mg contains 300mg of Ellagic acid. The rest is Tannic acid, Polyphenols and Alkaloid.

I just purchased ProHealth Pomella Pomegranate Extract from Amazon.

My limited understanding is this product, standardized to punicalagins, is similar to the supplement in the referenced study instead of a pomegranate extract standardized to ellagic acid.

Are you the dude that left the review about having stomach cramps?

No stomach cramps for me. I have had two capsules so far (one each of the last two mornings) and havenā€™t noticed anything positive/negative at this point.

hopefully the one I ordered fits the bill.

pom extract

Organic Pomegranate Juice Powder, 1 Pound, Freeze-Dried & Cold-Pressed, Natural Antioxidant to Support Cardiovascular Health, Best Organic Flavor forā€¦

I mix this with beet juice powder and drink 30 minutes to 1 hour before rides. It makes the beet juice more palatable.

1 Like

Didnā€™t they talk about competing pathways with beet juice in the podcast?

They might have. I honestly havenā€™t listened to the podcast.

Here is a well done study that did not have the same results. One thing I did notice was they did not prescribe a pre study multiple day load of Pom like most beet root juice studies have as well as the 15 day loading that the study that the trainerroad crew discussed did.

1 Like

My recollection from the podcast is the they said beet juice and pomegranate extract target different pathways, and so may be complementary rather than competitive.

2 Likes

This one is standardized to 30% punicalagens, congruent with the extract they used in the study. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KI8R34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Conclusions

The restoration of SEA VO2 values at ALT is likely driven by the high polyphenol content of POMx, which is proposed to improve nitric oxide bioavailability. Despite an increase in VO2, no change in exercise performance occurred and therefore this study does not support the use of POMx as an ergogenic supplement.

I wanted to believe!!!

In addition, the current study was limited by a relatively small sample size ( n = 8), which was unavoidable due to the research taking place during a high-performance junior training camp. While previous research has demonstrated a reduction in VO2 during submaximal cycling exercise [18, 21], it is acknowledged that the lack of effect of POMx on submaximal VO2in the current study may have been due to an insufficient number of participants.

You still can believe :wink:

Yes, Iā€™ve seen that study. Two things to consider.

First, there were some positive outcomes of that study if you consider 5min VO2 at altitude. Thatā€™s something worth considering!

Second, these were trained individuals taking acute dosages. Iā€™m sure POMx would be quick to recommend chronic dosage! Ha! But there is evidence to support chronic dosage for trained athletes but untrained individuals will benefit from just acute dosage.

Note from that study the interaction with thiol/N-acetylcysteine! There is some nuance to the POMx story, for sure, but in general I would say all three of these studies paint a positive picture regarding POMx.

I got the same thing but have been doing 1/4 tsp (750mg) 2X per day.

Pomegranate Extract Powder

Iā€™ve been taking it at the same time I take their beta alanine.

Beta Alanine Powder

1 Like