Popeye's Chicken is Entering New Markets

:joy:

Having just got used to asking for schooners in Australia, I then went to New Zealand and had one of the most confusing sober conversations with a barmaid I’ve ever had. It went something like this:

“Four schooners please.”
“Handles?”
“What?”
“You want Handles?”
“Umm, handles? No, no thanks.”
“Well what do you want then?”
“Four schooners…!”

This went on for some time and she was about to chuck me out when someone explained that Handles were not the handle on the glass of beer, but the local slang for beer, and Schooner meant a kind of boat.

2 Likes

To the newcomer.

To delve deeper into it:

A cob can be crusty or soft. A bap is almost certainly soft.

#ivegotyourback

1 Like

My wife would slap me if I said that.

1 Like

I think this is correct, although I’m sure @mcneese.chad or @Nate_Pearson could clarify

Before Nate started taking racing seriously he often rewarded himself after a big ride or race with Popeyes. I vaguely recall early podcasts where he would say things like, ‘couldn’t eat enough calories to keep up’ and was not (yet) concerned with healthy composition of his calories. Dates back to his triathlon days I believe

Several mentions of Nate loading up before and some other mentions of large meals there.

I think there was a night he double-mealed, then had popcorn and other stuff at a movie and the reported crushing a workout the next morning?

I might be mixing different stuff together there. But overall Popeyes got multiple mentions, many in jest as prep or rewards based on Nate’s old habits of big eating with lower quality food.

to throw an equally pro founding question in the mix… how would you classify the Swedish abomination that is the sandwich-cake?:

1 Like

Maybe they can work with Clif and make a Fried Chicken Flavored Energy Bar

There are two types of countries in the world…those that use the metric system and those that put man on the moon. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

The same one that over-engineered a pen to work in space while the “reds” pressed the “easy button” by using pencils :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is cereal soup?

thats the urban myth that most annoys me

2 Likes

Oh, interesting…never knew that was an Urban Myth.

2 Likes

Yeah pencils are a terrible choice for space, the graphite is conductive and when it’s floating about in the air and gets into electronics… Yikes!

Dissecting a joke, kills the joke…

2 Likes

If the milk was warm I reckon it would be!

You’d think a country that is that capable could handle adjusting to a better method of measurement :wink:

I hesitate to inject some controversy, but Chick-Fil-A sandwich beats Popeyes hands down.

1 Like

That doesn’t even need to be said, there is no controversy it is plain fact.

1 Like

As a teenager I worked in a supermarket on the border between Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire. It had a hot food counter and between the various northern customers (as well as travellers from further afield) it threw up some really interesting nomenclature about ‘bread encased foods’ between rolls, buns, cobs, stotties, pieces and barmcakes.

1 Like