Post Carry Co Transfer Case (Bike Travel)

Does anyone have experience with the Post Carry Co Transfer Case? I am looking to purchase a bike bag and am not trying to pay $700+. This bag looks pretty well made, for a decent price ($400), small, and used by a couple different pros (Colin Strickland, for one).
I’ve come across a couple different review on the internet but am wondering if anyone has some personal experience with it.

Thanks!

Yes, a teammate and I have one. It’s a great case at a nice price. We don’t worry much about our bikes after travelling with it a couple times and getting over the initial panic of the first trip. It’s a soft case but things are held very secure inside it such that it can take a small drop and typical handling during travel.

The thing i like the most about it is the size. I’ve fit it into every trunk I’ve tried. This is great because you can order an uber/lyft at the airport and know that your case is going to fit in any car that shows up (prius, small sedans OK). It’s small enough that we’ve had good luck flying United without bag fees. Probably an 80% success rate. It’s technically over their lineal inch guideline so it requires a $150 fee, but the baggage attendant literally has to get out a tape measure in order to enforce this. It’s also typically underweight which helps the cause.

The case also came with some nice crank/chainstay pads, as well as top tube/head tube/down tube pads. This is a nice feature

The teardown and buildup procedure is similar to other bags. Taking the fork out and handlebars off is as hard/easy as your bike and skill levels require. I’ve fit a 58cm Allez Disc, Large Specialized Epic Full Suspension (Rear Suspension removed from frame at one location). My other 58cm bikes should fit just fine

case1 case2

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve got an Allez Sprint Disc also, but in a 56. Do you have the 135L or the 150L? I’m leaning toward the 150 so that I know it will fit my or any future MTB also.

Ah, should’ve mentioned I have the 150L!

1 Like

I’ve got the 135L. Used it only once so far to go to Wisconsin. Was able to fit my size Medium El Mariachi hardtail frame by sliding in the rear dropouts. The case is VERY well designed with lots of small thoughtful things. Like when you put the wheel into it’s spot, there’s a spot to hold the skewer/axle. My only complaint about the case is it really needed a handle at a low spot away from the wheels to lift it up by to pull it through an airport. They actually upgraded the current cases with that handle…

-Test fit of my medium Santa Cruz Tallboy should have it fit by removing a suspension bolt from the shock and letting it get more compact.
-135L barely can fit 700c wheels with 33cm cross tires.
-150L just got an update where it can fit slightly larger tires. Hopefully can fit my MTB tires…

My current plan is to keep the 135L for my girlfriend’s bike (she has a 27.5 wheel MTB) and get the 150L for myself when travelling with the MTB.

I used to use a cardboard box I had custom made that fit within airline sizes. Then the Ritchey Travel case. I used to remove the rear swingarm and put that in my carry-on but shouldn’t need to do that with this case.

One big tip I have is if your rear hub allows, remove the rear axle and the cassette. It’ll be much more compact. Take the axle and put it in the rear dropouts of your bike w/ the through axle. It’ll prevent crushing of the chain/seat stays.

Just in case, I take a few of the heavier components (pedals) in my carry-on just so I’m sure I’m not overweight. Do NOT take tools in your carry-on. Too many times TSA believes I’m going to hijack an airplane with my allen key.

Picture of my frame after tossing it in after Trek race:

2019-09-20 11.34.43

1 Like

I should mention I’m at a 100% success rate of cardboard box (at airline limits), Ritchey Case that’s above airline limits, Post Carry case that’s above airline limits.

Always checked as luggage, only been asked what it was a few times, and told them bike/sporting parts. Only real hickup I had was Southwest where the woman was making it very clear they were not responsible for my bike “parts”, but just had to pay the checked luggage fee. Typically I fly United and it’s part of my free checked luggage.

And probably 80% chance of TSA opening it up and inspecting. The Post Carry case is really nice as they can open it, inspect it without disturbing much. With the Ritchey case there are layers of protection which you can’t see through and require taking a lot of stuff out to inspect everything.

1 Like

I had one shipped to Europe. It’s surprisingly fast. Sadly missed the FedEx-guy today. Will report back

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips!

Looking forward to hearing about your initial impressions

Received my transfercase now. Looks pretty sturdy all around. The outer sides are padded and there are reinforcements and compartments in all the right places. Definitely makes the impression, that this thing was designed by a cyclist and not some random suitcase company.

Also did a test packing of my bike… definitely a bit of a hassle, but I think once you figured out the best way to pack it, it becomes much easier. And once everything is zipped up, it’s makes a very robust impression. No rattling of any sort.
Of course it still needs to proof itself through actual traveling, but so far it looks really good :+1:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to get back!

1 Like

Looks really interesting and I like the low weight. That helps to stay under 23kg with a gravel bike. Are you guys able to fit in shoes, helmet and bottles - and maybe even clothes?

Almost a necessity that you have to fit all that in there. I’m a very light packer for trips, but when I travel with the bike I bring a ton of clothes because it’s excellent padding.

A weeks’ worth of clothing (biking and regular) typically fits without an issue, except making sure I don’t go overweight.

Oh, and update since I ended up with another case after my prior posts.

Did a trip to AZ this year, so flew out with my wife putting her size Small Santa Cruz 27.5" 5010 in the 135l case. I put my Medium 29" Santa Cruz Tallboy in a new 150L case.

The 150L case has a few upgrades (handle in a better spot) and can fit larger tires. Whoa, actually fit my 2.35 knobby tires.

Both frames fit in the cases without an issue. I did remove the one shock bolt so I could swing the rear suspension towards the front triangle. I’d say the 150l fit the medium sized bike actually better than the 135l fit the small, but part of that is just how the rear triangle changed the overall profile when it moved in.

So much easier than my prior method of basically disassembling the entire bike. I still take a lot of the heavier items in my carry-on to keep the weight down. Pedals, cassette, etc.

Cool - so helmet and shoes fit in and clothes, even?

Yes. Helmet/Shoes/Clothes/Bottles/Etc