Power Meters for MTB

I’ve had two. First was a Wolftooth, and now I have a SRAM X01.

I’m not 100% positive but I’m sure you could buy the boost power meter and then someone must sell shims that you can put between the P2M and the chainring to move it back to the correct non-boost chainline. (I think its 2.5 or 3mm)

Ok, I need help. New to MTB. Just bought a Felt Edict 1 that came with X01 Eagle components. Want to put crank based PM on it, and would prefer a quarq. Looks like quarq is only selling DUB for MTB now and I have GXP X01 cranks. But they used to make a quarq that was compatible? So look used maybe?

And the whole boost thing is confusing me too. There is nothing about the frame being boost, but both hubs on the wheels are boost. What does that mean?

I also plan to replace the wheels with ENVE M525s which appear to not say boost anywhere.

Thanks

Forgive me if I’ve already added to this thread.

Has anyone else tried a Cinch based power meter? I’ve had very good luck with mine. I started using one on my road bike, liked it and got one for the mountain bike. The idea that the electronics are tucked into the BB of the frame is a huge selling point.

I originally thought I would remove the power meter for times when I didn’t want to “ruin” it - but that’s silly, I now just keep in on year round with no worries so far. I wish it was dual sided, but other than that I really have zero complaints. It’s better than the only other meter I have used; Stages. Lots of drop outs with that one.

One option would be that you change a bottom bracket to DUB. Or ask a shop to do it. Seems that your felt have threaded bottom bracket so the change should be relatively easy task.

As mentioned, changing to DUB bottom bracket should be possible and likely best route. The current GEN of Quarq’s are very good and that’s what I’m currently using.

The Enve M525’s are amazing wheels - you will love them. 12 x 148 rear and 15 x 110 front is Boost specs. I believe your Edict has a SRAM Eagle Cassette, so you want to make sure the wheelset has an XD driver.

There is a set with DT Swiss Hubs being cleared out on Competitive Cyclist. It supports centerlock rotors. From what I can see this set should be compatible with your bike. Enve is using different hubs now so that may be why these are being cleared out, but the DT240’s are an excellent, durable, and easily serviceable hub.

I bought a 4iiii Precision today. After doing some long indoor endurance rides I want to move things outside.
Next week on Tuesday is my next scheduled ramp test and I hope the powermeter arrives until then so I can use PowerMatch to figure out the right FTP.

I chose this one over the SPD based one because I am not interested in Gravel biking so it can stay on my MTBs.

Thanks! I have a massive discount direct with enve via my Tri team.

On the dub quarq, yeah that’s definitely an option I was just looking to only have to buy a spider and not new cranks and bottom bracket. That makes it quite a bit more expensive. Just the spider is $599 iirc, but looks like I may have found the version I need for $730. Guessing they can ask more as these are in short supply now and still cheaper than having to buy the dub cranks and bb.

1 Like

With the Quarq spider you also need the matching 8 bolt cranks. The P2M spider can be attached to the standard Eagle crank. However, the P2M spider is more expensive, at least here in the EU. That is why I chose to get also the Quarq crankset.

So, I have SRAM XX1 cranks, that just came standard on my bike. Are these 8 bolt cranks generally or not? Do I have to buy specific 8 bolt cranks separately that are compatible with the Quarq spider?

I’m hoping not as I have already bought the Quarq spider :slight_smile:

If this doesn’t work, what is the best PM for SRAM XX1 cranks with BB30.

My understanding is that the Quarq XX1 spider requires a specific, non-standard XX1 crank arm, with 8 bolts as you describe. As far as I’m aware, the standard XX1 crank arm uses a 3 bolt interface for the direct mount chainring.

I spent quite a while trying to find a powermeter that would be compatible with my GX Eagle DUB crankset,. Finally settled on a Power2Max NGEco . These use the standard 3 bolt interface that’s compatible with modern SRAM eagle cranks:

4 Likes

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of! Thanks very much for the response

I had to buy all new cranks when I went with my Quarq even though I had brand new XX1 on my bike. Unfortunately there’s not a work around.

If you’re not sure if Quarq spider will fit your 8 bolt XX1 crank it would be best to confirm it with SRAM support.

Other very good option is P2Max NG or NG Eco which will fit standard SRAM 3 bolt mount, latest Shimano direct mount or other cranks manufacturers.

1 Like

This might be a silly question but don’t PMs on MTBs get battered and go out of calibration or whatnot? And don’t they give out strange readings with all the heavy hits/lumps/bumps/drops/jumps/g-outs etc.?

I’ve used two different Quarq PM’s and they’ve given me solid numbers for off road riding, not matter what the terrain. It’s handled jumps and drops without a problem.

3 Likes

That’s been the concern with the development of pedal based power meters but crank based seem to hold up fine.

1 Like

Sigeyi AXO spider fits 3 bolt cranks and I’ve heard fairly good things although it is early. Look into them. I believe Xcadey also makes one that fits.

I think i have seen a post before about someone doing it, but i cant find it so i thought i wanted to ask to be sure before ordering anything: Anybody knows if the Power2Max NGEco fits on a Truvativ Stylo 6K DUB crankset?

To my understanding it should fit since Truvativ is beeing made by Sram, and runs the same 3bolt interface, however if it fits i am still unsure which model to get (boost or non boost), im not the most tech savvy person when it comes to the bike components… for me the bike just need to work so i can ride on it :laughing:

If it can help, the bike i want to use it on is a Cannondale F-Si Carbon 3 , i dont want to throw the extra cash for an XX1-Quarq since this is “only” a training bike, i already got the full XX1-Quarq setup on my Scalpel (Race bike), so i hope the Power2Max fits since its a perfect price range for a powermeter to a training bike.

Hope anyone can help/has experience with a similar setup.

1 Like

The Cannondale F-Si bikes use some stupid offset for their cranks which is due to having the rear wheel dished differently. I’m sure there’s some marketing bulls**t telling you why its better but there you go. Anyway, I’m pretty sure the offset is different on the spider, so changing the cranks might mess up the chain line. The official word from Cannondale is to run a Stages PM but I have seen other people running different solutions but everyone says something different about what parts you need :rage:

There’s a few threads on the MTBR forum so it may be worth having a look there for more info.