Powertap P1 pedals troubleshooting

I use Powertap P1 pedals and a Garmin Edge 520 outdoors and have been happy.

There’s always been a message indicating the right sensor is missing. But recently I get this message repeatedly during a ride and the power readings stop intermittently.

Software is up to date on both the pedals and Edge. Batteries are new. When u use the Powertap app on my phone both pedals seem to be happy.

Any ideas for trouble shooting? Garmin doesn’t think it’s them.

I can get this message if we have stopped and are chatting for a bit during a ride. I just click OK and then continue ride and the left/right data is always there.

2 Likes

My P1’s started dropping out mid ride or giving spurious power readings. It turned out to be a failed cadence sensor ring inside the pedal which is known to come loose over time. I got them replaced under warranty (at 23 months!!)

2 Likes

I have P1S (left side only) and a 520 plus, I haven’t seen any errors yet.

1 Like

I have the same setup… recently had to have them send me a new battery cover because the one the pedals came with stripped. On my 3rd time taking it out/reinstalling it. If your’s hasn’t stripped I would call them and ask for a replacement. They did it no charge for me.

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments.

Replacing the battery caps has resolved the issue. They contain the Ant and Bluetooth transmitters.

The support agent asked if I had V2 or V3 caps - and I had the ones before they had version numbers. Just made it under warranty.

1 Like

The battery caps can be troublesome. I had some issues after I replaced a battery - one of my caps was failing and I could tell which one by switching it left - right. They are under £20 so even if you aren’t under warranty, if you start getting odd dropouts or inability to pair (especially after changing the battery) it’s worth trying a new set just in case that’s the issue.

First set of P1 pedals bought Sep 2015, after bizzare readings and upgrading to V2 caps, replaced under warranty in June 2017. Replacement set started giving very high calibration (offset) readings and I feared the worst but had a go with the V3 caps and strangely all the problems went away. I did also in the meantime buy a set of single sided P1 pedals (you can pair the left one with your current right one and they were very cheap as now surpassed model-wise) and I noticed that the battery housing is much tighter compared to my current set.

I have recently started getting a lot of dropouts from my P1s when connected over ANT+ (after several years of basically flawless behavior). How do people generally connect to TR, ANT+ or BLE?

The caps don’t contain anything. The issue with earlier caps is the inside diameter is slightly too small and the battery can’t move around in them. This means the battery doesn’t get pushed freely by the spring and has a poor contact with the terminal at the other end of the chamber. The inside diameter of the newer version of caps (they say v3 on them) are ever so slightly bigger, allowing the battery to move freely.

Source: Me. I had constant drop outs and sometimes not even turning on. Powertap sent new caps for free and it fixed it immediately.

But another problem is that they go to sleep way too quickly if you’ve stopped for a few minutes or sitting on the line before a race. Make sure you back pedal every minute or so to keep them awake. Sometimes they won’t wake up until you’re going and then actually stop peddling for them to become active. It’s weird and annoying.

I was also having dropouts - not restarting after a stop. I cleaned the battery contact point in the pedal - it was a bit dirty- qtip and some rubbing alcohol. Seems to be fixed after one ride.

I use Powertap P1 pedals and a Garmin Edge 530

I have the same issue There’s always been a message indicating the right sensor is missing. But recently I get this message. But recently I get this message repeatedly during a ride and the power readings stop intermittently.

PowerTap App doesn’t recognize the Rigth pedals P1.R. I have replace the Batteries for a new one.

Any advices??

I would definitely recommend you get in touch with our support team, they are pros at isolating device connectivity issues!

You can email them at support@trainerroad.com, or Submit a Request online. They’ll do their best to sort you out! :100:

1 Like

Another tip is to stretch out the springs that separate the battery and the cap, I used two baby pins.
Garmin suggested this to help keep better electrical contact.

1 Like

The caps are definitely the key. They are inexpensive to replace though I like some of the tips for improving the contacts