Prior Day Race Openers, Priming Workouts

Recommended 24 hours prior to your event, to prepare physiologically (body) as well as psychologically (mind).
(aka Opener, Primer)

Truuli = 60 minutes:
TR-02

• Use to precede any Endurance events.
  • Also has “Plus/Minus” versions with different durations and intensities.

Truuli Peak = 45 minutes:
TR-03

• Use to precede Shorter, Higher-Intensity Endurance events.
  • Also has “Minus” versions with different durations and intensities.

Sleeping Beauty = 60 minutes:
TR-05

• Nate’s pick:
  • “It’s probably too much but I’ve been doing Sleeping Beauty before my C races.”

Basin -5 = 30 minutes (plus 10-15 minutes additional warmup):
TR-01

• Coach Jonathan’s pick:
  • “I usually extend the warmup by about 10-15 minutes, and then proceed with caution, making sure I am not overdoing it. It’s a great simulation of race efforts!”

Scott Peak = 45 minutes:
TR-04

• Use to precede ???
  • Also has “Minus” versions with different durations and intensities.

Ramp Test Tips & Tricks
Favorite bespoke workout

It’s probably too much but I’ve been doing Sleeping Beauty before my C races.

I’ve been using Carrigain before cross races. For me, it’s a good combo of a few above threshold intervals mixed with a few short stomps. I think this workout was mentioned on one of the podcasts as a decent opener workout as well.

I really like Basin -5 as an opener. I usually extend the warmup by about 10-15 minutes, and then proceed with caution, making sure I am not overdoing it. It’s a great simulation of race efforts!

The Ramp Test is a great option for a race day warmup. It seems best if you simply take it to a step or two above threshold then revert to some easy spinning.

CX Opener before Race

It all depends on the category of the race. If it’s an A priority race, then the session the day before will be part of a well thought out peak and taper. If that’s the case, it’s usually something like Scott Peak for me. I’d do somethink like Truuli two days before.