Pro Riders Racing Non-sanctioned UCI races

I think it’s awesome and good for cycling that pro riders from every level including top world tour riders are racing events like DK200, Leadville, Redhook, Taiwan KOM Challenge etc…

What do you all think? Here’s a VeloNews article detailing some pros and cons:

2 Likes

It’s the best thing!

And about taking victory away from others…how many people are they taking off the podium? 3?

I see way more benefit than harm.

I’d like to see 5 world tour teams with 8 riders race against each other at Leadville. That would be amazing!

17 Likes

Totally agree. I’ll go further and say to the elite younger up and coming amateurs…This is a great opportunity for you to measure up and perhaps reset/check where you are on your path if you want to make cycling a career. Big fish small pond, small fish big pond analogy.

To the age groupers and other amateurs bummed they miss out on podium pix, money and prizes…you’re old and slow. You don’t deserve to be on the podium. Get over it!:wink::grinning::fire:

5 Likes

Most likely a matter of the riders’ sponsors sending the rider(s) to these non-sanctioned events for marketing exposure more than it is the riders overtly gunning to do these races.

E.g. why didn’t EF Ed race DK200 prior to Rapha coming on board?

1 Like

HAHAHAHA, so true!

3 Likes

I love it. Its great to see the top National riders at my events so you can see that Benchmark.

I like to kill myself to do 12-13 mph in Cat 1 and see The top Pro Men do 15 mph on the same course.

2 Likes

joe dombrowski did leadville in 2016.

The sponsors are definitely enabling this, but I think it’s wrong to say that’s the only motive. Lots of riders have talked about alternative schedules and stuff they’d like to do outside of the world tour calendar. Rapha, trek segafredo, corendon circus, the canyon // sram womens team and many others are stepping in and allowing riders this alternate exposure because it does generate value.

3 Likes

I think it’s great!

Consider what they are actually taking away from somebody: a ribbon or medal? a story?

If it’s a ribbon or medal, I feel the athlete should reassess their priorities.

If it’s a story, I promise you it is way more interesting to other people to tell them a story about racing with World Tour Pros than just a bunch of average joes / josettes.

11 Likes

It also stops burnout…

3 Likes

yea definitely. 200km on gravel must feel like a delight after a 240km sprint stage in the giro…!

1 Like

In the UK you sometimes see world tour riders turning up at their local club mid-week 10 mile TT. Bradley Wiggins and Alex Dowsett are two that immediately spring to mind. I think it’s awesome! I what other sport do you get the very best turning out at grassroots level?

4 Likes

@AndyGajda very cool. It’s amazing what you learn from these guys if open/observant to it. We have some domestic pro types that show up on various group rides from time to time and it’s always a pleasure to chat/ride with them (after they crush me).

2 Likes

Yeah IDK. But, I do support it. It’s my opinion, but clearly USAC road events are fading. Perhaps rubbing shoulder with these guys will get more stoked to try out various types of competition whether road, cx, mt, downhill whatever. More is better all around I think.

Except that it’s 200 MILES, or 322km.

Only 10-14+ hours on the bike — no problem! :laughing: At least a spectator isn’t going to knock you off.

2 Likes

It’s pretty cool to have pro’s and joe’s mixing in the same event. There is no question Lance’s presense at Leadville some years back was a catalyst in the explosive growth of the event. But it is important for the events to remember its roots and still try and provide a great experience for all the riders regardless of their pedigree.

3 Likes

Whilst I haven’t competed in any events with pros at any level in the field, I’d jump at the opportunity. As others have said, it makes for a great story and a proper test.

You can check your numbers against the pros until the cows come home but can you turn up and throw down when it matters? This is where you find out.

2 Likes

Oops! Point still stands though. Regardless of the distance, I think a new discipline and new area would be much more fun than riding for 4 to 6 hours on a relatively flat course and 30 seconds hard effort to lead out your sprinter.

Collin beat them all. So, none. At least with respect to Dirty Kanza.

It would be cool to see a pro show up and actually win. Didn’t happen this year, though. Maybe they needed a bigger team.

1 Like

It’s ok with me if EF is at every single Dirty Kanza.

I don’t think there were any riders that walked away from DK200 with a negative impression of EF. They were super smart in terms of how they interacted with the riders.

3 Likes

This is true. I have mixed emotions about pros at these races, not because of taking podium spots or whatnot, but because I’d hate to see the character of the races change too much. But getting to ride with the pros is great.

One of the best things about offshore sailing has always been the average Joe (and average pro) could race against the best sailors in the world, it is very unique in this regard, and I’m glad to see cycling embrace this a little.

1 Like