Question for the forum: For cyclists, does stretching help recovery?

I use a Yoga app to do 15 minutes after most rides. I have found that my hamstrings get tight if I don’t stretch and in the past that resulted in lower back pain.

Article from International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy

Regarding rehabilitation I don’t think that is true.

While the benefits of stretching are known, controversy remains about the best type of stretching for a particular goal or outcome.

Just quickly browsing the research cited there, it shows numerous papers referencing the positive outcome on ROM and muscle lengthening from stretching. There’s plenty not known about the different ways of stretching and I’d agree that a lot of the same things can be accomplished with “movement patterns” vice static stretching. But stretching isn’t going to see a witchdoctor, this paper cites 101 others (not all supportive) and has been cited several times itself so it is not as if everything regarding stretching is a guess.

1 Like

Hi, I’m hoping not to be argumentative and no I haven’t researched thoroughly recently so this is not intended as a statement of fact. :slight_smile:

Restoring range of motion, yes I can see stretching achieving that.

Going from that very simple equation, to stretching being good for anything else is where I don’t see a consistent positive message from the scientific community. In fact some papers conclude that increasing range of motion could be detrimental in certain scenarios.

Not your post, but the general opinion that “stretching is good for you” is not one I can concur with.

1 Like

This illustrates the relative nonsense of adhering strictly to science vs. science + experience + common sense. It is pretty near impossible to measure something that didn’t happen, i.e. ‘not getting injured’ - but I’m not one for arguing with those who don’t feel like victims of their own myopia. I’ll continue maintaining flexibility and enjoy not being injured.

Like I said earlier, if you don’t want to stretch you’ll find some POV to support it. And I wish you good luck.

I used to get a lot of lower back pain when on the bike, I was told this was due to tight hamstrings from cycling and sitting in an office all day, I started yoga 3 years ago and haven’t had a back problem since.

I go to class once a week and the teacher give me a wee routine to do after the bike for hamstrings, gluts, quads and hips

I might have back pain in the future, you’re right. I had back pain for most of my life…until I prioritized maintaining flexibility. Haven’t had it since.

Good luck to you.

Yeah…I get what your saying.

Stretching seems to be one of those things in sport science that folks have a lot of STRONG opinions about…but about which there is not strong consensus, colloquial or otherwise. I had a coach that would only encourage stretching in an off season block. Same sport, different coach said once you have enough flexibility to properly execute the movement never stretch…stretching reduces muscle strength. Running coach once advised to stretch but never for more than 10 seconds in any single pos’n. Similar reasoning…stretching makes muscles less efficient.

So there is a lot of conflicting info out there even among professionals.

And as always it’s fun to read the forum’s thoughts on these matters…

1 Like

I’m not implying that I think the ROM of a prima ballerina is best for a distance runner.

But how about that ROM or flexibility is necessary for most cyclist to achieve and maintain, for the duration of their event, an aerodynamic, reasonably comfortable and powerful position.

And while I’m not planning on undertaking a study, I’d suspect there is a strong link between riders who experience lower back pain and the ability to properly do a pigeon stretch aka pigeon pose or similar movements.

1 Like

I store the wine and beer up high. Really really high. I get a great oblique stretch when I reach for one or the other. Of course, you must hit both sides. Of course, to hit the legs you must get up a few more times.

All jokes aside, I haven’t stretched outside of yoga since leaving college football at Podunk State. Perhaps, I should? The stretches and moves are not as easy as they used to be.

2 Likes