Question from a Zwifter: Isn't Trainerroad boring compared to other platforms that add more gamification?

Junk miles are important too. :wink:

1 Like

Oh absolutely important, Iā€™m just too weak mentally to get them indoors :joy:

2 Likes

You spelled it wrong. JUNK FOOD, is important too :wink:

2 Likes

:joy: Me too.

My personal limit is 1:45 to 2:00 hours. On rare occasions (AKA extreme good day) I can do 3:00 hours, but after that Iā€™m mentally really cooked. It has nothing to do with intensity, but with ā€œnot movingā€, the less efficient cooling, the bad air (accumulation of CO2).

:blush:

2 Likes

I recently joined TrainerRoad.

I was on Zwift for over 2 years. Overall I enjoyed it. But I use virtual power and sometime their power readings would seem weird.

Too easy to trundle around on Zwift and not get enough intesnsity. I used to race a lot on Zwift and whilst it was mostly fun, the races manily consisted of a very fast start and once in the lead peloton you could pretty much stay there for 30 minutes or more until the last 2 or 3 miles and then a sprint finish.

It became too predictable.

Their new courses Innsbruck and New York are a bit boring. Also often two or three different racing categories would all start the same. So if you were in a B Cat race, you would often go out too hard because A Cat riders were going off.

As I now concentrate more on Time Trials, I wanted something far more structured than would allow me to reach good power numbers for next spring and summer. Current FTP is 301 and w/KG is 3.67

Hope to be over 4 w/kg by the time the TT season comes around in about 4 or 5 months time. I donā€™t think Zwift would get me to this.

I also like that the training is varied (sweet spot base mid volume) and the calendar is very useful.

Cheers.

I think choose what works for youā€¦ but be honest with yourself ā€¦ are you seeing improvements (if thats the goal)ā€¦ personally i struggle with the Watt numbers from Zwiftā€¦ just oddā€¦ and soooo many people weight doping i found it annoyingā€¦ as well as you can be working your booty off and someone sails past you at 100W and 40kmh because they are in a recovery section of a structured workoutā€¦ thats not motivating to meā€¦ but each to their ownā€¦ I did CLARK (90 mins) for the first time today in SSBLV2 and what i really found useful was the pedal focus & prompts from Coach Chad in last 1/3rd ā€¦ made a huge difference to my focus and motivationā€¦ im already seeing improvements in personal perf. and on my club rides as many folks reduce volume and effort over winter, i can see mine in the calendar and know im holding good TSS and to the planā€¦ im just a mid 50ā€™s Mr Avg W/kg guy doing a variety of disciplines for fun and health, but really do find TR to offer an all round experience not provided by other platformsā€¦ so cheers :wink:

2 Likes

For me, when Iā€™m training, Iā€™m training. I donā€™t have a need to be entertained or distracted. Yes thereā€™s #musicdoping but if anything it makes me more focused on what Iā€™m doing (ā€œSlipknot has just come on KILLKILLKILL!!!ā€)

I see Zwift as being built to satisfy a user base who want an indoor training platform that motivates them to get on the bike and do a session. And thatā€™s absolutely important, and I would recommend it to people who hate the trainer.

The reason I went for TrainerRoad when considering a training platform was partly that I have a really instinctual drive towards simplicity - I like things to be basic, no frills but great. But mainly, it was the peripheral content - the podcasts and the community. TR seems to be solely geared towards using science to make us stronger and faster, and they have really educated me about physiology, nutrition etcā€¦

9 Likes

RGT will never make it commercially. Too boring.
Virtuoso is much better and has a chance.

FulGaz remains my favourite and works with TR. Quite cheap as well.

I like zwift, I usually just do my TR workout on zwift,

I like zwift on weekends for the ability to ride or race with friends and use team chat and it makes longer rides more interesting. During the week itā€™s all TR and no zwift for recovery rides cuz I canā€™t keep from chasing people down and passing them :laughing:

3 Likes

as pointed out in a different thread, I really started liking Rouvy. Always found Zwift boring, cartoon world. No emotions for me. On Rouvy riding real mountain passes I know from my summer vacation is a different story. Especially in combination with workouts, for example doing over-unders up an Italian pass later in a workout.

In a perfect world I would like to see a blend of TR and Rouvy. Doing structured workouts (not necessarily in Erg mode, I donā€™t use Erg) on virtual routes I know from real world is a game changer for me. I donā€™t use TR plans or the calender, just liked the controller of my trainer. However, the way I see TR moving I will probably stay with Rouvy and not extend with TR. But I still have almost a year left on my subscription.

In the end we all get motivated differently, app/platform market is getting diverse enough to please (almost) everyone.

1 Like

I also use blue tooth ear buds. Never outside but on the trainer. Works well.

Link?

Itā€™s XC mountain bikeā€¦
(Pro)

And this schmuck:
(Cat 2)

2 Likes

Bluetooth wireless earbud phones and Metallica Essentials on spotifyā€¦ sorted :wink:

2 Likes