Ramp Test "Blind"

Has anyone done a Ramp Test “Blind” i.e. covering up your screen, so you don’t know how far in to the test you are? The last couple of Ramp Test’s I’ve done, I feel like I get a mental block when I get to the 19:15 - 19:30 mark and just stop pedaling, as that’s where I’ve got to before.

I’m thinking if I cover the screen up I might get a more natural failure point, as I’m not reaching for, or being held back by a specific time goal. This obviously will only work in ERG mode.

1 Like

I did my second test at the beginning of this week and whilst not completely blind I did try not to look at the TR screen. (I run Zwift on a different computer simultaneously for mental stimulation). In my opinion I think it could help by taking away any mental blocks/expectations as mentioned but I think having the info could motivate others to push past their previous efforts. Ultimately do what works for you.

1 Like

Good idea, I am always having issue the same issue.

I almost close the PC screen so I can’t see it. I watch a TV instead and just suffer until the legs stop moving. Usually the last two ramp steps are a PITA and my mind switches from the TV to my form or just trying to keep the pedals moving but the TV noise helps somehow.

I’m going to try it in my next test, maybe just for the last 5 mins or so and put on some Rage against the machine or something, to help eek out those last few seconds. It’ll be funny if i just end up with the same FTP though.

2 Likes

Guessing you all are on smart trainers in erg mode? On my dumb trainer if I’m not watching at least the watts display I’m going to have a hard time holding target power - even through the earlier steps.

1 Like

Yes, definitely Erg only.

1 Like

After a sub-par first ramp test i had a feeling that it was detrimental for me to see the power and heart rate numbers on my phone. I tested a few weeks later and flipped my phone over for the last 3/4 minutes and just pedaled for as long as i could hold it. The results were much better and i do think that being “blind” for the last few minutes when it really starts to hurt can be beneficial for some and removes the mental limitations that you might put on yourself.

2 Likes

I though i’d give everyone who’s interested an update on this. I did a Ramp Test last night and covered my phone screen as soon as i reached threshold. I just used a piece of card with some blutac on it, but i cut out a little square so all i could see was my cadence. I’d say it worked perfectly. I just kept peddling until i couldn’t pedal any more. So feel like i got a much truer result, not effected by time. FTP up 7 watts to 271.

5 Likes

You may be interested to know that 19:30 is the point in the test when you match your existing FTP.

Mike

4 Likes

In my experience on the iPhone app, I’ve been able to switch to another app, ie Pandora, while the Ramp Test continues to run in the background.

This sort of topic always reminds me how much I would like the option to ‘switch off’ specific metrics (from the display) as I am riding.

2 Likes

Agreed. But until that time, we get to be “creative” and use sticky notes :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

bumping this after my result today. Always felt that i had a bit more left in the tank but struggled mentally, especially when i found out about the 19.30 break even point. Decided to cover up the screen on todays ramp test and also had a race replay from this years tour of the alps playing on my tv screen with my laptop screen dimmed right down. Set the race replay to coincide with 21 minutes at the point of the winner crossing the line so all i had to was get to the finish and then keep hammering.
Managed a 30w improvement over the last test !

8 Likes

I can’t go blind because I’m on a dumb trainer on virtual power.

But the 19:30 comment is interesting. I have certainly noticed that if I can keep going past 20 minutes or so then my FTP is increased.

Maybe there should be a Spotify playlist for Ramp tests that gets to something motivating at about 19 minutes…

That’s exactly what I do. At about 18 minutes, the music gets angry.

3 Likes

I have done the same, but also notice that at the last minute or so I tend to rip my headphones out. I think my body is so in overload that it can’t take the feeling/sound in my ears anymore. weird but true.

There must be a reason I stopped doing ramp tests. ha.

2 Likes

I feel you. I do them as little as possible. Last season I did only two FTP tests and just self-medicated the rest. This year I’ve done one ramp; supposed to have another tomorrow.

2 Likes

Get your head on straight, hammer it like it’s a workout and ignore the “test” aspect as much as you can.

I know it’s a silly mental game, but that’s a bit of what it takes for me (as one who tends to overthink too many things :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Did it blind once. Never again. Much more motivating for me to know where I am and push till I pop than guess. I’d rather dial down an overtested FTP than guess at where I think I am based on a too low test. It usually comes out pretty well for me (so far). I guess either way there’s a bit of modification or guessing, but it’s just a training baseline anyway.