Ramp Test Tips & Tricks

I’m always so nervous pre-ramp. Like now… In 1,5h I’ll be all good again when it’s all done and dusted.

3 Likes

Me too. Been dreading this evening for two days. Still trying to find ways out of doing it, might estimate and shift +/- 5w after the first few weeks :thinking:

Shift that expectation and make yourself look at this like any other workout.

1. It may be difficult, but our head is the only thing in the way of executing this test.

2. Step back, realize it’s not the end of the world, no matter the result.

3. Prep like any other workout, just go in and do it.

3 Likes

that’s a great idea - maybe even a “feature request”

I’m not dreading it that much anymore. I know it’s not that bad. It’s just the psychological aspect of running myself into the wall that is unpleasant. :joy: Its all good though. I’m soon on the bike and soon enough it’s done and I can check what SSBMV I has given me in fitness. If any.

1 Like

I found one example of a request for custom data. I know there have been other requests in the past.

Done. Up from 283w to 288w. Think I might be able to raise it to 290 but rather not rush it.

9 Likes

Positive result for me too. It’s all in the head!

5 Likes

How can a friend of mine set his ftp on his FIRST ramp test higher before taking the test ? He is an experienced rider and doesn’t want the ramp test to take 35 min in total . Is this set in profile when setting up his account or ??

Click on account from the main page after you login to edit general info including ftp.

1 Like

Yes, the app will use the weight they enter to set the FTP at 2.0 watts per kg.

1 Like

TrainerRoad: It works when you do the work!

I have a Ramp Test playlist on Spotify that I have going full blast, and I time it to have Rage Against the Machine’s Killing in the Name towards the end, so when my legs and lungs are begging me to stop I can shout at 'em “$*@#) you I won’t do what you tell me”.

I keep the power numbers showing because I find it a bit more motivating knowing that I’m able to stay close to the power targets each step. I’ve often hit new power bests during races etc when I have a target to chase (or a group to stick with), not in time trials, and I think seeing the power numbers each step acts as a ‘target’ of sorts for me.

I know I’ve gone deep when my wife says she heard me making anguished, unintelligible grunts. She came in once wondering if someone was accidentally smothering the dog or something.

6 Likes

Did my first early(ish) morning ramp test today after completing SSB1MV and with a gel simply got through it albeit ending up with the same ftp to within a few watts 280w. Not disappointed as I dropped 2kg (to 65kg) during the phase but got to say: after a rest week and a lack of threshold/vo2max efforts it’s definitely a challenge to get back in to the high effort. Anyone have similar experiences and tips for it?

1 Like

Yes, some are using an « opener » workout the day before, like one of the Truuli variations.

I am in the end of the recovery week and I will try a VO2Max boost week before starting my third SSBIILV in a row and the mandatory ramp test that comes with it (I have much too much time before the race season, but not much time in life at the moment).

2 Likes

Quick one, may have been asked before. I’m not new to the ramp test but I did a test “test” last night to see how it worked in ERG and power match mode and wasn’t too happy with how it played out.

I’ve spoken with a few others about power match and focusing on cadence which in general works “ok” but last night things were not good so I will go back to none ERG mode for my proper test next week.

I just wondered if others use mainly ERG and power match when testing or turned off?

I use the trainer’s Erg as I had a bad experience with Powermatch for the ramp test. Powermatch failed to hold the power as my cadence dropped. Now I use erg but also have my PM report to my Wahoo Bolt. At the end of the ramp test I use the highest 1 min power (x .75) reported by my Bolt (from my PM) to set my FTP while using Powermatch.

3 Likes

I find powermatch doesnt settle as quickly as I would like it to during a ramp. I haven’t tried running a ramp in resistance mode but instead did the last test on the rollers which was a very different experience.

1 Like

Cool thanks, this was my experience. I’ll go back to non erg mode for future.

Hi,

So, I have done ramp test in middle of big cog using erg mode on smart Tacx Vortex trainer. As I am coming up to the 19-20 minute marker, it starts to get tougher, as expected. Cadence at this stage is up 130+.

I see some suggesting that as it gets tougher to reduce cadence and keep going until you can go no more. However, as soon as the cadence starts to ease off, the power drops and I hit the death spiral.

Is this the way it is supposed to go?

Cheers.

It starts to get tougher? :cold_sweat:

What works for you, cadence-wise, will be super personal and depend on your current physiological strengths. It sounds like you might be better served by trying to keep a high cadence for as long as possible, especially if you’re comfortably controlling 130+.

For what it’s worth, I tend to unconsciously increase my cadence as the power ramps up. I don’t intentionally drop it, but it does nosedive as I get close to failure and can’t manage even the relatively lower strength required for high-cadence pedaling. I’m not great at muscling my way through, so I don’t think the low-cadence suggestion would work well for me. (Might be perfect for Kirsten Wild though!)

2 Likes