Recovery rides vs rest days

plan-modification

So I really hate having days that I do not ride. I am injured with a hernia and cannot walk far at all (under a mile). But I can ride forever. It really has been my saving grace since February. 10125 km or 6300 miles. Longest ride I’ve done this year was an 11 hour 312 km ride.

Often on training days I will add a recovery ride on later in the day to just keep spinning.

ANYWAYS I really enjoy my riding time and prefer to replace rest days with recovery rides.

What are the pros and cons of doing recovery rides at 40% to 50% of ftp versus just taking a day off. I am trying to keep as fit as possible until I have surgery and then I will be our of the saddle for 8 weeks :frowning:

Any guidance is appreciated.

recovery rides (at low %) allow you to “flush” the legs of waste and byproducts of hard training. it helps the lymphatic system do its job, which doesnt occur if you are sedentary.

@FatBoySlim This topic was covered in last weeks podcast. Listen from 1:24

Thank you for posting your comments and the video. Ive decided to not have any rest days and only have recovery days. Keeps me happy and moving!

I always find it odd that the “recovery” rides prescribed in TR are way above the conventional 50-55% of FTP. Petit is 65%. There really aren’t many recovery workouts (I think when I apply the recovery filter only 1 actual workout appears).

That’s because they aren’t “recovery” rides.

They are Endurance level TSS fillers more than anything.

Yeah, i guess my question is why would these plans have “filler” workouts and no recovery rides. Is it assumed we would just add our own recovery rides?

@chrisf505 When I use the workout search tool and select “Recovery” I get 22 workouts and none of them have an IF over 0.55. What were you selecting when you searched?

I just checked and you are right, but most are the “free ride” variety. I didn’t look far enough down the list to see some of the other options. I will probably swap out these for the easy ride every week, but I am still curious why these wouldn’t be built into the plans more consistently instead of Pettit and others? I’m sure Chad is right here, but I am just curious.

The easy rides in the plans are not, and are not intended to be, recovery rides. They are aerobic endurance rides. If you want to add in your own recovery rides, likely on the current hard days, then just pick from the above list. I usually load up Recess and ride until I start feeling like it’s making me more tired (sometimes thats 30 mins, sometimes I ride the whole 60).

This topic was covered in the podcast a couple of weeks ago, post is further up the thread

For my recovery rides I do Recess 15, 20 or 30. A recovery ride is just to flush the legs and clear the mind.

Active Recovery (<55% FTP)

Endurance (55% - 75% FTP)

:+1: