Restore Old Training Plan Functionality!

feature-request

I think the argument is that they were using the product in a workflow that wasn’t considered valid. They depreciated the old workflow because it wasn’t even considered as a useful thing. The plans were always given days of the week to complete them on. Envisioning it as a list of things to do in order at your convenience is an imagined anti-workflow.

Training is always done in the context of timing. The plans were always presented in the context of timing. That people were able to use it as a list of workouts was a quirk of the UI that the implementors presented.

They have stated that they are going to give ‘something’ for people that don’t want to plan their plans and just be told what to do. Considering the way that it was being used was probably doing more harm then good (oh you haven’t ridden in a week? do pettit so that you can recover from that vo2 max session 7 days ago) I can see why their motivation for ‘making it work the old way’ would be low.

• That is highly relative to each individual. As stated, many liked it.
  • And as covered in the podcast, they actively encouraged people to “juggle” those and do them on the days that fit their schedules and needs best. Coach Chad always says the plans are not “set in stone” and should be adapted to best suit the needs of each person.
  • Imagined or not, it was something that many did and were happy with for all the years that TR existed before now.
  • An incorrect assumption that is shown by comments of people with the desire to simply follow the workouts in order and complete them at whatever timing fits their life. Not everyone is using this software in the same way or for the same reasons.

For you, maybe.

It has been very useful to me since 2012, over 6 years, as a paying customer. Loved it.

Not sure if you speak for the company, hopefully not?

What I really want is a formal statement from the company leadership on when or whether this regression will be fixed. I can wait some reasonable time but given the training plan feature was already implemented and working perfectly, it shouldn’t take too long to fix the regression.

If their “motivation is low” for a reasonably prompt fix, there’s no point for me to continue paying for it given the app workflow is now completely broken.

I’ve enjoyed TR for so long that I’d rather stay, but need some answers on this.

I’m working with support but getting nowhere, just a runaround. To be fair to support, I’m sure their bosses have ordered them to just regurgitate the corporate line on calendar.

Great to hear from you on this. Thanks for your considered post and appreciation for our old retro way of using TR.

I don’t speak for the company. No red star.

Nate has made several statements that they are working on a resolution for you. The old way was an accident that it worked that way. They can’t support every accidental workflow and do anything to the software.

I’ve been OK using the new tools but I have to manage changes on my Mac.
Not my preference. I’ve introduced 2 new people to TR and they abandoned it for Zwift structured trainman in the first week.

I DO believe that the structured plans and workouts in TR are superior to many other tools.
I am about to start a Sufferfest trail for 60 days and Zwift also.

TR tech support has done their best to help me and some problems have not happened again.

I remain hopeful for a return to the time before complexity…
But I have figured it out mostly.

I find the Calendar criticism confusing. I use the PC to plan my workouts for the week then use the iPad app for the actual workouts. Everything has been easy and intuitive.

I really like being able to see my scheduled workouts ahead of time and find it super easy to move workouts around to accommodate work, life, and other sports. e.g. doing a 5k Saturday so moving long weekend ride to Monday so that I can recover Sunday.

This is my confusion as well. If this accurately describes the approach to training of those who hate the Calendar, then, I’m really surprised that there are this many people who would pay the monthly subscription fee in the first place.

I was ok with the calendar when it launched. But was at times confused and a little frustrated. But the more I use the calendar the more I like it. I really like being able to move/rearrange workouts. I can see if someone never wants to go on the web then it would be bad. But to me the benefits far outweigh any issue of the web-based functionality

@jjv I’m a little confused, because when I open the app its possible to scroll back the calendar and do any missed workout.

I live in Northern California, we had some bad fires recently and the air quality was terrible so I stopped riding for a few days. Right now I can load the app, scroll back to that week, and do any of the missed workouts. See for yourself:

Say I stopped doing all workouts from November 13th until today. To start back up with Nov 13 workout, all I do is scroll back until I see the first workout with a green check mark (Nov 12 in my example), look for the next missed workout which is Tallac on Tuesday November 13 workout, tap Tallac to load it, and then tap Load Workout to start the workout.

If your goal is to simply work down a sequential list of workouts, the scrolling is not ideal. As linked to above, Nate the CEO has stated they are working on a solution for users like yourself.

If you try what you suggest you’ll see it only works once.

In your example, you can see Tallac is next. So yes, you can click and select it and do the workout.

What happens next is that a new Tallac gets inserted into your calendar on the day you did it and the original Tallac part of your workout plan remains unchecked as if you never did it.

So next time around the trick of scrolling up won’t work anymore, as the first unchecked workout is still Tallac. You’ll have to remember that you already did it and you should be doing Juneau-1. The further you go down the list the messier it gets.

Here’s a screenshot to illustrate. Yesterday (12/4) I did Tunemah by using your technique of scrolling back and selecting it from 12/1. But Tunemah didn’t get checked off, instead it added a separate Tunemah, disconnected from any training plan.

So looking at this now, how am I supposed to know what’s next? The app is actually telling me today 12/5 I should do Carter. But that’s nonsensical and wrong, because after Tunemah comes Leavitt+2. The more I work through the plan, the messier and messier this will get and it becomes impossible to know what’s next.

Fed up with TR and the calendar

@jjv got it, yeah that sucks. Hold tight, hoping it gets fixed sooner rather than later.

p.s. that’s exactly how I want the calendar to work. I want to follow the actual structure of the plan, and in the future be able to go back and see what was missed. But I also understand that some people simply want an unstructured list of workouts to check off one by one.

I actually needed this calendar functionality because I had no other way of tracking my other non-TR workouts, like weight training, rowing, etc.

New to TR this Autumn and joined because of the new calendar. Can’t get my head around the way some people used to use training plans i.e. they complete every workout in sequence even if they miss a day or two. I see no logic in this. If you miss a few days just jump back in. Don’t go back to the days you missed. There is no benefit. If you miss a week or a few weeks then think about nudging the plan back by a week or two.

I think part of what some people enjoyed with the old plan structure was the progress bar showing the percentage of completed workouts and when you finished a plan there was a specific “Finish Plan” button for the final sense of accomplishment (unless you ended up skipping a bunch of workouts and had a weak completion percentage lol). You also had a history of what plans you did and their level of completeness to look back upon. Sort of like Achievements in gaming for some I’m sure. The calendar has its pros certainly for adding non plan related activities and modifying plans, but there was a certain level of satisfaction to completing a plan as intended in terms of the workouts laid out (not necessarily their exact order) and having a record of that.

Yes, PITA at best.

I understand you want this functionality in the app itself but for now could you go old school?

1. view a plan and copy it down somewhere else (e.g. word, excel or even paper) without importing to your calendar.

2. load up each workout as you do them and cross off the latest one once finished.