Rice Cake Crumbling Prevention!

From the Facebook post I made and responses to comments I had received:

Rice cakes made EASY! I’ll throw credit to Alan Lim for the base recipes and then I have modified as I saw fit.

For those wanting to do this get yourself a good rice cooker that is decent size. 4-6 cups makes life much quicker if you are making big batches. I use the Panasonic one, white and silver. Thing is bomb proof and easy to clean.

Buy the feed zone portables book for all the cool recipes. I’ll put what I do below for chocolate rice cakes:

Into rice cooker
2 cups jasmin rice - Costco sells 5kg bags works great
1L of water
Dash of sea salt
1tsb brown sugar
1tsb cinnamon
Dash of vanilla extract

Let that cook

Once done and sat for 15min steaming
Into a big bowl:
your cooked rice from the cooker
1 big table spoon of coconut oil
1 table spoon Nutella
Dashes of sea salt for flavour

Mix it all up.

NOW THE PRO TIP TO GET THIS STUFF PACKED TIGHT SO IT IS DENSE…

don’t use a pan. Grab a cheap freezer ziploc. Pack that mixed up rice which you have mixed very well, into that bag. Squeeze it down into the ends and pack it into a 2” thick brick. Fill in the corners and squeeze that down.

Fold over the open end to squeeze the air out. Take your warm brick of rice in a bag, slide a cutting board underneath and throw in the fridge to cool for 3-5 hours.

Once done take it out, take a knife and cut the edges of the bag off. Cut your squares and voila. Takes 10min tops. Wrap with Costco jumbo size parchment paper you’ve cut to size.

I also do the bacon and scrambled egg with Tex mex spices and salt if I want savoury. Super easy as well. Very cheap.

Pics below. For bagging and wrapping process.

EDIT: Had a few PM’s so I’ll address here -
Re: Coconut - use as prescribed above and see how it works for you, with rice cakes nothing is set in stone, its all about individual preference and taste.
Re: Wrapping paper - see that cutting board in the background with the knife photo? I just wrap the parchment paper around it multiple times (10-15x) and then run a knife down one edge to cut in half, then cut the other side along the long edge. With your now 20-30 sheets, you simply cut in half again to make squares that are the perfect size for wrapping up.
Re: Rice - I’ve bought expensive stuff before but honestly that kirkland jasmin rice works just as well and its cheap. the ratio of rice to water is important, you don’t want too dry coming out of the cooker or they won’t hold together. 1/2L for each 1Cup of dry rice.
Re: Bagging - using a big rice spoon and really mixing that stuff up in the bowl will help get the rice mixer more dense. Then its just a matter of getting it into the bag and packing down. It’s very easy to do while the rice is warm. Don’t overthink it.

11 Likes