Saddle Height & Fore-Aft Changes

Here is an overly simple guide for making changes to either Saddle Height or Fore/Aft, and the related change in the other direction. Since The seat tube is inclined (around 73.0* on lots of road bikes), you are making a direct and indirect change.

• Change Saddle Height and you are also changing the Fore-Aft position.
  • The inverse is also true, that if you change Fore-Aft, you are also changing Saddle Height.
  • This has a direct effect on the rider position over the pedals and bottom bracket, but also impacts the reach to the bars.

I am hoping this rough example can help people consider the direct change they want, and the indirect changes that come as a result of the primary change. The specific distances are for the 73.0* Seat Tube Angle. Differences will exist if you have a different STA, but anything close will be reasonable when considering the values below.

Saddle Height Change:

• If you change the Saddle Height by 1mm [0.038in], you also get a Fore-Aft change of 0.3mm [0.012in].

• Saddle move UP 1mm [0.038in] moves Saddle BACK 0.3mm [0.012in]

• Saddle move DOWN 1mm [0.038in] moves Saddle FORWARD 0.3mm [0.012in]

3 Likes

I’ve been searching for the Perfect Fit since starting a TR Program. I think I’m making too many minor adjustments, and not letting my body adjust to each change. But I am constantly battling minor knee soreness so I’m always looking for a quick fix.

Anyway, this is interesting and a good reminder that one adjustment causes other indirect adjustments.

2 Likes

You gotta let them settle and let your body adjust. I was riding 11k miles/year and would get fit when I “started” my season and about 1/2 way through to account for body/flexibility change.

2 Likes

I have found this set of articles to be useful:
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/faq/

Generally I find better comfort overall with a more rearward cleat position.

M.

2 Likes