Separate FTP for outside and inside rides

It would be great if TrainerRoad could set a different FTP for outside rides than rides done on a trainer.
I use an ERG trainer and if I use the FTP from my power meter and Garmin then trainerRoad rides are to hard! Using the FTP from Trainer Road ramp tests makes TrainerRoad sessions feel just right on my trainer, but then the TSS score from outside rides using my power meter are just silly. Be great if there was a way to have two FTP’s set in the software .
If there already is a way to do this and I have just missed it please let me know:grinning:

4 Likes

You can manually overwrite the TSS for a ride in the Custom Tab for an outdoor ride. I upload my rides to Cycling Analytics, which is set to my outdoor FTP. When I link an outdoor ride to the TR calendar, I just put TSS from CA into TR. 13%20am

Thanks. Not sure I want yet another upload!
What I have tried on the latest ride is changing the FTP for that ride to my outdoor FTP. This has brought the TSS back to sensible levels. Does anyone know if this will change my FTP for further rides and therefore I will need to change it back before a trainer ride, or does it just affect that particular ride?

I was just about to write a new thread and then stumbled across this. I have exactly the same problem.

I have been training inside on TR over the winter and the TSS from these workouts have been recorded on TrainerRoad’s career TSS profile. Since recently purchasing a powermeter for the MTB (for external training and racing), I would like to include the TSS from those rides too. However as my outdoors FTP is obviously higher than my indoors FTP, the TSS score is being artificially inflated.

Could TrainerRoad develop multiple FTP profiles for the same rider in their system to overcome this please?

1 Like

I have now got used to entering my outdoor FTP for each outdoor ride as sadly TR has only one"sticky" FTP. However some of my outdoor rides are done without a power meter and in those cases all you can change is the perceived effort. In my case this is usually on Cyclo-Cross races and training rides where TR seems to underestimate the Training Effect compared to road rides at similar effort using a power meter. I am not sure but think this may be linked to my different FTPs measured on an indoors trainer and an outdoor bike using a power meter and Garmin Edge.

Since writing the post above, I’ve discovered that I can overwrite the FTP for each of the outdoor rides with a different FTP.

1 Like

wondering the same thing, ¿can it be done automatically? like @garydavies44 pointed out, kind of profiles.
If not, would be a very nice feature to include, that way TR would be a great all-around tool to record and plan training.

TrainerRoad representatives have stated that they do not plan to have more than one FTP setup for their system. The comments are in the Outside Workout thread.

Here is one specific comment, from the top: