Sexy topic alert - Any jock itch sufferers?

I have been suffering badly with jock itch since I started back on the turbo about 3 weeks ago. I generally sweat a lot, even with a floor fan on full blast. I try to wash my bibs or shorts after two workouts and leave them hanging up to air them out in between. I always shower straight after the workout too. I have tried a cream with 1% Clotrimazole from the pharmacist with talcum powder to keep the area dry 2-3 times a day for the last 10 days but it doesn’t seem to have helped at all. It’s starting to drive me crazy at night.

Does anyone else suffer with this? I would be grateful for any tips that might help me out.

I wash my bibs after every use

13 Likes

Wash shorts after every use! Get more if not practical… I have 3 pairs of good quality bibs that I wear and then wash all at once.

4 Likes

Yeah…wash your bibs after every ride! I had a bout with this last summer…I tried all the creams etc. What finally made it go away was apple cider vinegar.

1 Like

How did you apply the apple cider vinegar? Just rubbed it on?

You’re sure it’s a fungal infection and not just irritation from shaving and sweaty chafing/scratching? And as others have said, of course never wear the bibs twice in a row without washing.

I put it in a spray bottle…sprayed it on then rubbed it in…rashes were gone in less than a week.

Wash those shorts every time. Jock itch is a yeast infection. Go to the pharmacy and get a cream. The pharmacist can recommend which one. But it will keep coming back if you done wear clean shorts every ride. Plus I can only imagine the smell… Also will help avoid saddle soars.

I use this whenever the Saddle Sore Colony returns…

M.

I had problems a few years back (year before the last Paris-Brest-Paris, 2014). I decided to get ride of toenail fungus before I did PBP and that treatment killed all other fungi too. I haven’t had a problem since.

Wash those bibs. I throw them in the washer before I get into the shower.

I suppose you could get some thought to the washing detergent you use.

+1

Follow standard protocol described above regarding getting out of kit ASAP and washing between washes.
If it’s still a problem

1. 100% tea tree oil. You can get it on Amazon for cheap. Soak the end of a Q-Tip and apply to area that gets irritated. Do this after every ride (post-shower) to clean up the area. It’s an anti-septic so it will ensure the area is clean and will massively cut down on chance of actual infection and sore forming.

2. Penaten. If you do develop a sore use this to help heal the sore. I will apply overnight but use in conjunction with tea tree oil, just don’t use them at the same time.

Wash bibs after every use, unless unavoidable.

I had a 24hr team event in September with 6 turns/rides, think I used 4 pairs of bibs wearing 2 of them twice. Hung them up to air in between but with it being cool at night and not particularly breezy they were still moist.

I used an alcohol gel for my sit bones area. Didn’t go near the jewels. No issues be that rash, chafing, sores etc. (Fellow heavy sweater)

Worlds best shower after I got home. :raised_hands:

Prevention is best way to treat this.

But if you do get it, a jock itch is basically a Grade 1 superficial burn of the skin from repeated rubbing. 1% hydrocortisone cream such as itching cream is great at reducing the inflammation and pain.

I recently suffered the worst episode of my recurring jock itch I’ve ever had by far. Here’s what I did to destroy it and it hasn’t returned since. But 1st let me mention where jock itch comes from, which is virtually the same as a yeast infection and has the same methods of treatment.

It is started when a fungal spore attaches itself to your skin cells. Heat, swampy moisture (ie sweat), and mainly, a lack of protective barrier with a healthy acidic ph on your skin are what attribute to the growth and aggressiveness of the fungus. The pain was surreal keeping me up at night and was apparently sent straight from hell as it was seemingly unnatural how severe and aggressive it had gotten this time. What do u do to fix it?

-Ditch them draws. Freeball to allow maximum airflow, or at least where loose, thin fabric

-Keep your legs spread in a steady cool breeze/fan

-Lolz, I would leave my nutts outside my waistband to separate it from my thighs as skin to skin contact tends to cultivate a suitable sweaty environment for fungal growth. This of course is optional for obvious reasons…

-Stop exfoliating so often (except for on the infected area) and switch to oil-based soap. Won’t go into detail here. Research for yourself how we destroy our skins protective barrier. Most people don’t realize they fit this description and what they even did to get there. I know I didnt! Bottom line, popular big name brands, bathing too often, and over exfoliation are usually to blame. I hear Dr.Squatch is good. Haven’t tried it yet though. After my fungus was gone, I still showered daily, but only 2-3x/week would I actually use soap (“shea moisture olive oil wash” which is oil based) unless I was going somewhere important of course. Otherwise, I simply rinse w/ my hands. If I had just got done doin a lot of sweatin, I soak in the tub if I have time but still don’t use soap everytime. To each their own. Turns out, plain water’s pretty effective at removing excess sweat, oil and dirt without stripping your skin. I only exfoliate my face and feet and any fungus.

-Towel dry with a fresh towel every time. Don’t wanna transfer fungus spores from yesterday do you?

-Take a vinegar bath twice daily for 1 hr
Add 4-8 cups apple cider vinegar
Add Nizoral shampoo. Its main ingredient is Ketoconazole, which is antifungal
Add selenium based shampoo (Selenium is antifungal but be careful of other harmful ingredients)
Even add in some bath salts and essential oils and light some candles while you’re at it. Why not?
Continually and gently exfoliate with a wash cloth while you wait

-Afterward, wash again w/ that Selenium shampoo and Nizoral mixed together. Lather for 5+ mins.
Towel dry w/ FRESH towel

-(Optional) Apply pure tea tree oil. This will make the infected skin peel away faster. Only apply the thinnest possible layer or else you’ll regret it for the next hour and a half!

-Apply antifungal cream

-Apply body powder

-Dont rewear any clothes that was touching that fungus

-Wash clothes in HOT water

That’s all. Whenever I skipped just one of these steps it would start to regrow again. It was that aggressive. I was about to go back to the doctor for the 3rd time over it, but I finally beat it. Took a total of 8 months, just for that final episode alone not mentioning the previous outbreaks, and all my doctor visits every did was get me a prescription for a steroid cream. I had to research all this other information on my own.

Good luck guys!

5 Likes