Shoulder/Neck Pain Solutions?

If you can, put a sticky on the corner of your monitor or some place you’ll occasionally see it to remind you.

Neck stretches and chin tuck as demonstrated here → Chin tuck stretch for neck trigger point pain - neck exercise for neck pain relief - YouTube

That combo seems to be working for me

1 Like

I treat this sort of condition almost every day. Look up “upper cross syndrome”. Pretty much everybody in modern society has it to some degree. The positions we sit in (at desk/computer, driving, cycling) all put us into a forward head, rounded shoulder posture. The long term adaptation is that the pecs get tight and the postural muscles around the shoulder blades get weak. Typical treatment would be: pec stretches (I like doing “snow angels” lying on my back on a foam roller (roller going lengthwise btw your shoulder blades and down your spine); theraband exercises like rows, “hugs”, PNF patterns (D1, D2 flexion and extension); dumbbell exercises like scaption with external rotation, short arc military presses and lying prone on an exercise ball and doing “T’s” and “Y’s”, supine punch with 5 second hold, and serratus push ups. You should be able to find those on you tube

9 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! The last two weeks I’ve just been rolling out trigger points with a lacrosse ball multiple times a day. It seems to be helping quite a bit to where the tightness and pain are completely gone for a bit. However, It comes back overnight. Hopefully incorporating these drills will take care of it.

no problem. let me know if you need a detailed explanation on any of the exercises

1 Like

I had success with neck pain/stiffness with this simple stretch band exercise for the lower traps combined with ball massage Lower Trap Strengthening Exercises | Postural Improvement - YouTube

Here’s the same guy on ball massage techniqeus for the neck and traps. How To FIX a STIFF Neck | Soft Tissue Mobilizations - YouTube

That helped a lot with my neck but things got even better for both my neck and back when I started doing dead lifts and got serious about core work. I think I was just a giant ball of muscle imbalances from head to toe after years of cycling then sitting at a desk all day with little other physical activity.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll check these out. I agree I’m most likely the same as far as muscle imbalance. I followed a powerlifting program for about 6 months last winter and overhead presses would temporarily relieve the issue. I think I’ve just been slouched at a desk for years and never paid attention to posture until it was too late. Hard to fix that much damage, but I’m trying.

If they won’t allow a standing desk what about sitting on a yoga ball instead of a chair? Its impossible to slouch

1 Like

That GuerrillaZen guy’s training center is two miles from my house. Small world!

1 Like

I just found that searching on YouTube. That’s how I self diagnose all my problems, from my cars to my neck :wink:

Great points EKF. A stack of books or printer paper is a simple, effective (and free) way to reduce the strain when working on your laptop.

As far as workplace comfort and productivity goes, standing desks are overrated in my opinion. Even recent research suggesting so has been overwhelming. This is just one of those workplace trends that do not add much value. Like treadmill desks. Or open-plan offices. Or the campus-chic vibe which has taken things a step too far by introducing stuff like lawn furniture at the work environment.
So you’re not missing out on much flyinryan.

There are a myriad shoulder/neck pain solutions you can incorporate without breaking the bank - or having colleagues cast side-look glances your way. Basic tips like these don’t take much.

This too is advice that could come in handy, I believe.

I occasionally get something similar and find that both my neck and one shoulder is agonizing.
The physio got me to do some exercises to relieve them with some basic stretching and this keeps it under control. Here are some exercises for posture improvement as well, I totally forgot to mention them.

I use a treadmill but you can do this on walks. 20 to 25 minutes on the treadmill as fast as I can without straining. I try to stand up very straight with my shoulders relaxed, my arms naturally swinging and my abdomen slightly tight. Pull in your chin so your ears over your shoulders. Office posture weakens the muscles in your upper back and the back of your neck so this will be hard at first. Chest stretches are also very, very important to help with posture.
I do other exercises for my lower back as well, but this should get you started. And I also sleep on an orthopedic pillow (it’s Uttu, for shoulder pain mostly). It does wonders for me (and my neck).

As with any exercise you undertake, take it slow, gradually build up, if it hurts then you are overdoing the exercise or that exercise it not suitable for your condition, if in doubt ask your physio before attempting any exercise, last outcome you would want to see is it causing more pain.

1 Like

Strength training for upperback and shoulders tends to keep it completely away! I’m a system developer so also a lot of deskwork here.

When i’m not doing strength training for more than 6 weeks it comes back slowly

1 Like

Hi Billy,

your post really makes sense to me, as I also sweat a lot during a workout. Maybe my body is short of some vital vitamin and iron as you’ve experienced.
Can you share again if you really suffer no more pains after two month time? Thanks a million!

Not sure if it’s mentioned (or not) and I’ve missed it. See a Chiropractor!! Only the fastest diagnosis and results. Get assessed, X-ray and chat about your concerns.
They are amazing and will do A LOT MORE than spending lots of time rolling, stretching, needling etc etc.
I had back aches, lower back numbness on +3hr rides (like it was pumped with anaesthetic. Weird feeling!) and occasionally a very weak neck. It all worsened after I slipped on stairs. After I Struggled on rides, and scraped through TR workouts and eventually failed altogether. I put it down as muscular spasms and tightness for months. First adjustment with my Chiro I felt instantly better, relaxed even. Relieved a bunch of other issues too.
I even felt so comfortable on the bike… that I decided to ride 330km next day (after 2 months off) and it was my fastest and most comfortable day long ride I’d ever done. Everything felt switched ‘on’.
But like many things, people have different experiences with Chiro’s, either feeling great next day or very sore. Either way, l worth having a chat with one!

A warm thanks for those links.

Hi Dillon,

Thanks for following up. The neck/shoulder pain and headaches did begin to creep back in after 3-4 weeks supplementing with a multivitamin and iron. I really thought I found my solution and was lost again. However I found the answer as many others have suggested on this thread: consistent strength training of those muscles and their counterparts. I now do planks, push-up and dip progressions on my days off the bike.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi Billy,
Thanks for your great input!
Seems that only relying on supplements would not be the ultimate redemption. I will try to add more muscle strength training to tackle this so-called “upper cross syndrome”.
Happy training!

I always google first go to the doc second lol. I read somewhere - take your position and keep your back in place and try to take your hands off the hoods and place them by your hips - testing how strong your core/abs are - how much weight is on your hands/arms. I’m a total fail on that. More weight supported by your arms + weak core = neck/shoulder pain on long rides for me. So I’ve begun trying to strengthen my core, reduced my handlebar width so my elbows are more “tucked” in (after googling alot about external/internal rotation), started doing face pulls and rotator cuff exercises. I heard pilates has helped many a cyclist as well. But I believe that the core/ab stuff I’ve been doing has helped the most.

:+1: And rows - if new start with seated cable row rather than barbell or dumbbell. Pay attention to form.

Also, I stand up a couple times a day and do (proper) band pull aparts as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JObYtU7Y7ag and these have done more to promote better posture while working at a computer than anything else I’ve done.

1 Like