So tell us about your A Race for 2019

I used TR to train for 2018 312 as well. Just the job :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m planning on doing an IM race here in Asia, probably either Korea, China or Taiwan, hopefully to grab a Kona slot for the following year. Just need to survive Christmas and New year without too much weight gain!!

1 Like

Marji Gesick 100. In the U.P. of Michigan a ā€œraceā€ consisting of 106-ish miles and 12,000 feet of elevation gain of rough Singletracks. The race is unsupported with no aid stations. Go sub 12 hours and you get a belt buckle but that only happens to less than 10% of riders. Fail rate is 30-60% depending on the year and the weather. Bring it on!

4 Likes

The A race is Reef 2 Reef, a four day MTB stage race in North Queenslandin August. I did ok this year on not enough training and carrying an extra 8-10 Kg than I should. The plan is to get my weight down and hopefully be top 20 solo (I was 28th this year).

I am also planning on doing XCM nationals in May, next year, it will be the first time Iā€™m eligible for the full race and itā€™s a 15 minute ride from home. Again, I did ok at the half marathon supporting event this year and if I can get the weight down I could do OK for my age. Iā€™m just hoping to be allowed to ride as Iā€™m recovering from AC joint reconstruction surgery after being hit by a car.

2 Likes

This year:

Land Run = C
Open Range = B
Robidoux Quick and Dirty = B

All of CX season = A

Just kidding, State Championship CX Late October = A, but I do want to excel at cross in 2019.

1 Like

A: Czech and Slovak 24hr mtb nationals 8.-9.6,2018
B/C: several mtb marathons and mtb uphill TTs

1 Like

A ā€œRaceā€ is Liege Bastogne Liege, the full 274km.

I havenā€™t decided after that, originally it was going to be a 300km audax, but might just pedal around Liege for 16km to get over that target. Tempted to reboot for an early summer go at a 400km.

I loved racing this year, but I donā€™t think the series I want to do will work for me/ the family.

1 Like

Not entering the dirty reiver then? Itā€™s the U.K. version of the DK200 after all! April might coincide with your training plan a bit better as well

Itā€™s my A race for 2018, Iā€™ve done it every year since it started in 2016 and hoping to get under 9 hrs with the help of TR.

1 Like

I was mulling it over, but some friends are planning a week cycling in Nice at the same time, figure itā€™d be a good opportunity to get some hills in - plus I am not a confident descender at all so reckon I can use the practise.

DR next year I think, it looks awesome - good luck!

1 Like

My A race is one of those ā€œregular,ā€ local road races: Tour of Washington County. Last year there was a really deep field, I did way too much work, cramped and got spit out the back in the last 3km. Bounced back in the time trial (15th) and didnā€™t do great in the Crit. This year with a lot more experience and hopefully more fitness, Iā€™m planning to go after the sprint jersey.

2 Likes

I was planning on LEJOG this year but will have to push that back until 2020 I think.

Instead, Iā€™ve got a plan to ride from my home on the East coast of Scotland to Applecross on the west coast.

I think I would aim to complete in 2 days, with a stop in Inverness. The two big spikes on there are the Lecht and Bealach Na Ba

1 Like

Maratona dles Dolomites for me :grin: super excited!

3 Likes

You should check out the racing collective online, they organise a trans Scotland event

Nice - Iā€™d love to do that - maybe 2020.

1 Like

Just had a look, not seen the Racing Collective before, thanks for the headā€™s up. The Trans-Scotland they have is serious. 550km, 5000m ascent.

Last yearā€™s winner did it in just under 23hrs.

1 Like

Yeah, I was hoping to do it but logistics didnā€™t work out. I did trans wales 2018. via a crazy off road route :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, very close to mine!

Nice! Glad to see there are a few of us ā€œregularā€ roadies still left! My ā€˜Aā€™ is pretty much the same ā€“ Masterā€™s Nationals weekend ā€“ TT, RR, Crit. Are you targeting just the sprinterā€™s jersey or do you want to be competitive in all 3 races? What training/plans are you going to do? :+1:

1 Like

Dirty Reiver is an awesome event.

Iā€™ve done all 3 editions and after hitting the wall at the last checkpoint this year I said enough is enoughā€¦

Naturally I couldnā€™t help myself when the entries opened!

New route this year too so hopefully thatā€™ll keep my motivation to train all winter. Easier said than done.

Mike

2 Likes

LoToJa - 203 miles through Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. It finishes at the base of the Teton Mountains in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Shooting for another sub-10hr finish.

1 Like