Stage Race Pro Tips, Long Distance Training, Muscle Activation and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 240

Stage race pro tips, training for long events, muscle activation for proper mechanics and more is all covered in Episode 240 of The Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast.

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode:

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

Episode Notes:

8 Likes

Definitely hoping for something other than “don’t take such a long break” which is my current solution, particularly on long sportives/ audax!

1 Like

Could you guys (and gal) explain what is meant when you say to “train through” B and C races? Do you change any workouts for the week or do you just do everything as planned and ignore the spike in TSS from the race? Always wondered about this, thanks!

1 Like

So exicted to see this topic! It was exactly what I’ve been trying to work through at the moment.

I’ve noticed Long Distance Training on there, and had a question I’ll try to propagate over to Facebook/whatever feed you follow for live questions. As a time-starved rider that has very limited opportunities to take longer distance rides, are there tactics/tips that can help train my ability to eat for long rides while doing shorter sessions?

Don’t worry about asking your question again in the YouTube Live Chat. I will go ahead and put it in our podcast doc! Then the coaches will have a chance to get to it at the end of the pocast. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for watching! :+1:

3 Likes

Hi, started mid volume half-tri plan - not used to riding sweet spot for so many sessions back to back. Although I can complete sessions does it necessarily mean is should do them, if Im carrying fatigue through the week. Thanks, Matthew

2 Likes

Assume I’m already getting adequate sleep, nailing nutrition, and completing all TR workouts in the AM. I’m going to have an extra 1 - 2 hours every afternoon for the next few months. What’s the most efficient use of that time if raising FTP is my only goal? Z1&2 rides?

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m following a low volume olympic tri plan and feel that I could do more bike workouts.
I like the flexibility offered by the LV plan and I am therefore considering sticking with it and adding a third workout when I can (I cannot ride every weekend).

What would be the best approach :

• replacing the whole week by the corresponding MV plan week when I know I can do all 3 workouts
  • adding the -2 version of the 3rd MV workout to my LV plan
  • adding any endurance workout for easy TSS
  • other ?

Considering that adding workouts to my LV plan will mess with the designed continuous and progressive grind in TSS of the plan, can this harm my progression in any way ?

Jonathan, what is it your doing before or while driving to activate your glute’s?

3 Likes

Ideal set up for this :ok_hand::100:

Highlight of the week. Keep up the good work!

8 Likes

Glute bridges (especially single legged glute bridges) are very effective for glute activation!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for answering my question on the podcast about being a ‘blank slate’. I feel very inspired to try a bunch of new racing this year and plan to try multiple disciplines to see if I can find a way to improve in each.

Anyways, I want some follow-up advice. Coming out of Sweet-spot base II, what progression should I try moving forward? My strengths lie in sustained power but I really lack sprinting and short duration power. Would I be suited to a do general build plan, or should I work specifically on short power build? Additionally, should I do any specialization blocks, or alternate base/build/base/build?

1 Like

How to Ride Confidently in Crosswinds

I like cross winds, it can thin a field out, hurts everyone and becomes a mental game. Riding on windy days IRL helps a lot, how to lean, soft hands, reaction times. My only rules is when the wind is over 40kmhr I wont go out. I will race in windy conditions though.

1 Like

I really enjoy Pete being on the show. Such a self effacing sense of humour. The story of him raiding the petrol station while Jonathan paces - probably Isle of Man glute activation style - made me laugh.

6 Likes

I think Pete is just brutally honest. His New Year resolutions kinda showed that.

3 Likes

Are you using a computer? If so how do you have Zwift and TR up at the same times?

2 Likes

Either two ant+ dongles via computer. Ant+ and bluetooth via computer. Or zwift via ant+ and TrainerRoad controlled via phone (ant+) / iPad (bluetooth)
if your powermeter can’t connect to bluetooth you use ant+ on computer for zwift and run TR on phone. Otherwise you need 1 ant+ dongle for each app run through pc

During the Podcast, @ambermalika mention the bicep muscle. Has anyone located or managed to ‘activate’ this muscle? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes