Stopped Drinking Alcohol

When I quit in 2004, I felt better in short order and dropped weight pretty quickly. Haven’t had an urge or desire since. Good luck on the journey…you won’t be disappointed!

6 Likes

Stopped 3 years ago.

Do I have less of a “normal” social life? You bet! Do I miss it? Nope!
Am I happier, slimmer, better off financially and with what seems like SO MUCH TIME to do things that genuinely fulfil me? Yep!

I can’t recommend it enough. In every way stopping drinking has made me more like the best version of me. Stick with it!

11 Likes

sober since 92 for a whole lot of reasons…none of them related to cycling. If you find you just can’t not drink, get back to me. It can be hard to quit if it’s become more that a habit. luck and be well

11 Likes

Quit 5 yrs ago due to personal struggles and took up cycling and have loved every second since. Came with its shares of struggles and temptations but the bike has filled the void nicely.

14 Likes

Agree with this - MUCH more common than we think. The commonplace of it actually contributes to the sense that consuming it regularly and in higher volumes is perfectly ok. As I noted above, when I was consuming 4 plus on a daily basis I had friends/co workers (including a couple very high achieving execs) that drank more than I did. I was the healthy guy on business trips because I’d shut it down at 10pm so I could get up and slog through a hungover run or bike ride in the hotel gym - people have no idea.

9 Likes

I gave up 13 years ago.
Best thing i ever did.

Stick with it. The downsides of alcohol can easily outweigh the upsides…

10 Likes

I’ve never given up entirely but have gone months at a time without touching the stuff. I’m quite lucky in that I haven’t really drunk regularly or to excess since leaving university.

I had a few glasses of bubbles on Christmas and will indulge this evening to celebrate Hogmanay but I don’t think I’ll have anything for a good while after. Well done to those of you cutting back or giving up!

4 Likes

Cheers! (toasted with a glass of water)
I used to be a heavy drinker (daily), started with beer, then moved to red wine. Sometimes it was a glass, sometimes it was a bottle. In 2016 my wife put us on a fad diet (Shakeology 21 day challenge) that prohibited any alcohol for the entire 21 days. The diet didn’t stick passed the 21 days but the effects of putting down the drink stayed with me. I have not drank on successive days ever since, in fact I usually don’t drink at all anymore. Now if we are out with others I will have a beer or two, maybe a really high quality whiskey for a birthday toast. That’s it though, I go for weeks on end without even giving it a thought.

My only regret is that I hadn’t done this sooner. I spent 7 years in the military and probably drank heavily for 6.5 of those years. I thought I had arthritis at 23 years old, I was told that I had “Army Knees”… turns out alcohol was a major contributor here. My knees still snap crackle and pop but they don’t ache anything like they used to.
Welcome to a new (or forgotten rather) level of health!

8 Likes

Wow this has been surprisingly encouraging! Awesome stories/testimonials.

Curious if you guys noticed any more specific physiological improvements? Losing some Kg’s and/or getting leaner is a given but, how about things like time to exhaustion, FTP, ability to repeat super high efforts (VO2max surges in races), general duration/durability…

I realize this isn’t maybe the best way to look at it but, looking at the negative effects of alcohol it sure seems like getting free of it is a bit like taking a PED. I was apprehensive to start the thread but, now I’m super pumped and will use your experiences as fuel going forward. Thank you!

4 Likes

Better sleep, too. I’ve been on the wagon since October 2014 and dont miss it. There were a few weeks of insanity laced dreams, but I’m leaner and meaner.

Did you hear Jonathan say he calls the cops on people who blaze at the end of the 12/27/2018 pod? He must have meant he sees people blaze “all the time,” not that he calls the police “all the time.” Otherwise, don’t be such a roadie…

1 Like

durability improved for me. I recover much better now, I used to get overuse injuries quite easily.

1 Like

Down to 8% Body Fat myself… and sleep? hmm… thinking the Marijuana is helping with that… as to what was said… See the Doping Thread where I had my say on that topic! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve never really been a drinker, but I’ll have a beer or glass of wine every few months. I think I can count the number of drinks I’ve had this year on two hands. I hate the way it makes me feel the next day and I would prefer to be on the bike then the couch with a headache. A sober NYE equals a faster New Years Day haha.

3 Likes

Good decision point.

In the world of minimalism the following questions are asked in regards to “things”.
Do I need this?
Is it providing value?

If the answer is no, it’s not purchased or given away.

I apply the same ideal to nutrition. Do I need to eat/drink this? Is it providing me value? If not, it’s not consumed, works great keeping my weight and fueling on point.

Giving up alcohol will go a long way, especially when over-consumed. Good luck sticking with it and reaping the rewards.

6 Likes

I gave up alcohol a few years back, for a bunch of reasons including saving my marriage. It’s very easy to become a background, habitual drinker. What has surprised me (as a Scotsman who began drinking aged 13 or so) is how easily I could give it up. I do like having a drink in my hand, but nowadays it’s sparkling water. I did have some withdrawal symptoms, but not as bad as I’d feared.

I think everyone who gives up alcohol testifies to a better quality of life afterwards. If you do have problems, go to Alcoholics Anonymous. You may be surprised who you meet. Whilst I gave up booze quite easily, and many do, it’s also true that many need help and support to do so. That just means you’re a human :grinning: and need support to change the habit of a lifetime.

14 Likes

I didn’t get that inference from @Jonathan when I listened / watched the podcast.

An interesting article supporting your notion. I have effectively quit drinking about nine months ago…

https://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/endurance-library/alcohol-diminishes-performance-gains-training/

8 Likes

Sober 3+ years never felt better. Blood pressure is down (and I no longer take any bp meds), lost 10-15 pounds, and wake up feeling s whole lot better. Plus a lot of other stuff in my life is better but that’s a me thing.

6 Likes

I very rarely drink - maybe 3-4 days a year. The biggest difference I notice when I do partake is in my ability to rest and recover.

Here’s a screenshot of my sleeping HR for a few days back in November - see if you can guess which day I had a few drinks…

15 Likes

Notice @chad not commented! Lol. Loves his IPA too much!

1 Like