Strava KOM/QOM Hunting

I think group rides are fair game but not TT bikes. That’s just where my moral compass is.

I took a number of KOMs in a pretty popular stretch (~4000 riders) on my track bike with pursuit bars. With a tailwind. I made my ride private. I think the TT bars are a little too much.

yessir! Rudeness = strava war. Only because it means so much to him. I have some friendly competition with a couple of guys in my area whom Ive never met in person. Its great we trade kudos all the time stealing each other’s KOMs

1 Like

What if you regularly ride in a TT that happens to have segments in it? Why is it not fair game?

That’s what happens here. A club runs weekly TT’s on a public parkway that is open, relatively flat and big wide shoulders. All the segments along it are held by TT’rs. Same thing goes to routes that are frequented by triathletes on aero bikes. E-bikes are obviously an issues and maybe some differentiation by bike type would be good so you could compare apples to apples but it is still only as good as people are honest about putting it in.

Maybe the ex-KOM flagged your ride and it reverted to that earlier ride. Or maybe yet another example of Strava’s hinky tech system.

What is killing strava segments are individuals on ebikes, it has happened here locally on a few segments…

As much as we all love him, Rob Britton going out and doing his 20min intervals has put a lot of local segments out of reach

1 Like

What’s killing Strava is the same thing which made it popular in the first place — ego.

I guess I didn’t cover all scenarios. If it’s a regular TT route then I think it’s fair game. Mine was just a road in the city I was training on with TT bars. If a person was out there KOM hunting with a TT bike I think that’s a little lame. Again… Just my opinion on something that really doesn’t matter in the end. I probably wouldn’t flag someone for it but I would upload my own ride.

that’s just silly… If riding in a pack is fair game, so should a TT bike.

2 Likes

Like I said… Just my opinion. Not sure I’d call it silly. I’m sure most people would have a line somewhere. What about motor pacing? E bikes? Skitching? Mine just happens to be someone knocking down segments on a TT bike. Seems a little less organic than a group ride to me. At least you can usually tell if a ride or a KOM was done on a group ride. There’s nothing to show it was done with a TT bike.

:joy:

As a wise man would say, “Why so serious?”:joy:

3 Likes

Haha. Don’t get me wrong… I don’t really care that much. Just my thoughts. In the end it’s an argument about numbers from satellites that don’t matter much.

KOMs are fun when you get one, or make the top 10. But they are time based. And too many errors if it is a short segment as I documented above. So you’ve got to evaluate segments based on

For training purposes I think Strava completely misses the mark. To measure my own progress, taking into account wind and other factors, I want power PRs and I want to sort my own attempts based on power. You can’t do that in Strava, and instead I use Veloviewer.

I’d love it if TR keeps embracing outdoor riding and added a new feature to show power PRs for Strava segments that I use to measure my training progress.

You realize most triathletes train on their tt bike right?

Sure. But they are never at the top :joy:

Short flat KOM’s just aren’t meaningful (sorry :wink: - just my opinion) to me PB on specific segments is much more important. I think i’ve got 1 KOM and a handful of cups - but the only segments I have starred on my wahoo are climbs that I will never even come near the KOM. Did one last weekend - took 30 seconds off my PB but still 2’10” behind the KOM. :see_no_evil:

Everything after the ‘but’ is irrelevant :wink:

Everything before is really useful, I do the same and have a number of off road climbs that I regularly ride to assess my progress outdoors

Tell that to the sprinters.

Phil Gaimon anyone?