Sufferfest New Features - TR Killer?

They charge for these on the Yoga for MTB site then they’re all posted on Vimeo for free. :confused: Good find, thanks for sharing!

Interesting chat here. I haven’t used TR that long started last January, took a break all spring and summer riding outside and knowing my fitness was decreasing and started my first full year in October of 2018 training with TR.

I have used SF videos a few years ago. I have lots of friends on Social media that I know are using Swift for the group rides. I think people can write WO’s and have their athletes all join in for a coached prepared WO session, which if they all have a power meter makes it a better session than a spin class where most never seems to bother with power meters. Maybe this is the future for club spins.

And that might be something for TR to consider in the future

The podcasts and the training plans and the WO’s I have found to be perfect for my needs. The WO explanations and the Podcasts are educating me on the value of each style of WO. I’m kicking myself for not realizing the value of interval WO sooner. As a former age group swimmer and master swimmer ( I swim IM in under an hour swimming 2 to 3 hours a week of training only), the value of interval WO is known, just never connected the dots until I starting listening to the podcasts and then subscribing to the WO plans. Best value out there folks, and as far as I can tell all I or most people need.

2 Likes

I agree with number 1. I would think it would be super fast and easy to implement. I want to record heart rate for some workouts, but I don’t want to see it. I would swap it for something else, or just turn it off. I would like it to also toggle that data field on the graph so I don’t sit there trying to avoid figureing out what the heart rate is based on the red line.

I agree yoga or some form of resistance training built in would seriously help me actually do it. I am hell bent on getting all my TR rides in, but lack the motivation otherwise :grin:

7 Likes

What amazing thought out comments. !!!

I’ve used the yoga15 site before, she’s a good clear choice for my level.

TrainerRoad plans could even just have a place holder for the calendar just to inform when to do it, we then mark off if completed. Just a little reminder and general motivation.

1 Like

You can add a recurring other activity for this into the calendar.

1 Like

(I think all the apps are working towards the same thing. FulGaz are intending bringing workouts and a calendar to their application. Most people will stick to the app that suits them and maybe look at the others occasionally.

I think the one area where TR need to up their game is in the ‘challenges’. They keep users engaged and create a great community spirit. There doesn’t have to be prizes just a sense of achievement and purpose and group cameraderie. SF has the Tour of SUF, Zwift have lots of challenges. Here on TR we had Disaster Day and that was a great success but it was not TR driven.

On the other hand this forum is very good and working in the right direction.

3 Likes

Yeah the forum was a smart move for community building, but also will save them a ton of support requests I’d imagine too :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. I am going to check it out. I have been subscribing to YogaGlo.com for a while but it’s a bit pricey and I really have a hard time doing any yoga for more than 15 minutes at a time anyway.

3 Likes

Agreed, it’s fun but not as easily measureable.

What I would like to see it TR learning from this and adding workouts and tests that look at the range of capabilities: 5 second, 30 second, 1 minute, 5 minute power., or something similar. The plans stretch you in those directions depending on which Build phase you choose, but it would be great to see the tests as part of the programme.

Then I guess you have a Sufferfest killer…

3 Likes

+1 from me to. I need a structured stretching schedule. I know I should do it, but it always falls through the cracks

5 Likes

Dreaming out loud, if I could incorporate the TR plans and data metrics into a Zwift Group Workout environment against ghost riders I would be happy. My program, my schedule, my music, virtual motivation, visual stimulation.

2 Likes

@BadgerBeaver
Look at the “H.A. & A.C. Power Profile Test” workout. Seems what you want. Maybe you want to schedule it into your calendar.

@firemunki
@buzcurtis

For just scheduling you can add a recurring other activity for this into the calendar.

The utility in doing these tests is overrated I think and the TR guys have spoken multiple times about the limitations of looking solely at FTP. They are no slaves to it and the plans are a great example of the variety of riding focuses they can cater for.

The PR chart (I.e. power curve) let’s you look at your power over any given duration and is invaluable. I would argue however that a trainer isn’t the best place to test your peak 5 second power. If you race or include outdoor riding in your TR data then you have essentially done this testing in the real world and will know if you have a good 1, 3, 5min power profile.

3 Likes

does sufferfest include the yoga workout/videos for free with the plan? that sounds tempting.

Yes, when you get a membership, the yoga, strength training, and mental training videos are all included.

2 Likes

Not sure about challenges…these could break the structured approach (which seems so important if you want to get the most benefit in making you faster)…of course challenges could add some variety or be something for users looking at more fun…but I think no matter what TR would add…in that special area other apps would still be the better choice…so maybe save that work for other things more specific to TR?

Maybe something like simple Badges could be a quick win…just a simple Badge for each completed plan and an overview of all completed plans with scores for FTP gain and completion rate…but again…I would tend to focus functionality.

5 Likes

All this speaks to TR developing a two tier training platform. Create a ‘Performance’ level for those who want strictly no-frills racing/‘get faster’ type training plans, and keep the current platform for the recreational fitness seeker user who requires all the bell, whistles, and rewards for motivation and engagement.

2 Likes

Colour coded intervals and customizable screens would turn me OFF Trainerroad. Keep It Simple for me so I can focus on watts.

11 Likes