Sugar causes me to cramp

Hey guyz good day to all, guys I am off sugar I can’t have have any product with sugar. because the sugar causes me to cramp my problem is when I go on a long ride how do I top up my glycogen what do I eat?

2 Likes

I’m not sure sugar is the cause, how did you come to this conclusion? Science doesn’t actually know what the reason for cramping is, but there are a few working theories. Solutions and avoidance of cramping vary per rider, event and duration as well.

2 Likes

As @MI-XC said - I’d love to know why you believe sugar is causing cramps for you.

Presumably you’re able to eat things other than refined sugar - but honestly that’s a total guess. I’ve never really heard anyone blame sugar for cramps.

Pack some rice cakes or dates and eat those

1 Like

Surely, if sugars are the problem, anything containing carbs that you eat will break down to, and be absorbed as sugars so would cause a similar issue?

I’m being cycling for 3 years now every time I went out I cramp but for some reason 3 weeks ago I come to the conclusion is the added sugar in cakes and sweets making me cramp so I decide to give up sugar and since I give it up I hasn’t cramp since

If you’re eating “cakes and sweets” as nutrition on the bike, there is probably a whole host of other junk in there that is affecting your body negatively. I’d stick with heathier options (will still be processed as sugar by the body) and stay away from refined sugar and junk food. What you choose will depend on duration and intensity of the ride, but there are some good suggestions above. If your intensity is high, look at Cliff Bloks, SIS or Hammer gels, Skratch or Hammer Heed sports drink, or solid foods like fig bars by Nature’s Bakery for lower intensity. Endurance rides you can mix in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or whatever healthy options your stomach can handle without distress.

For longer durations, my sure your hydration has electrolytes as that is likely one of or a contributing factor to cramping.

2 Likes

Also, just to clarify, do you mean muscle cramps in your legs or stomach/gut cramps?

1 Like

Muscle cramp in my leg

1 Like

Could it be a hydration issue? Eating sugary foods could be throwing off the osmotic balance in your cells causing the cramps?

3 Likes

Fruit? Lots of it. If fruit gives you cramps then you’re a scientific anomaly!

I’d definitely focus on making sure you are hydrated and using some electrolytes in your bidons/bottles and see if that helps. Early on in my cycling life I used to get calf cramps at the end of short/intense rides and it was all down to hydration, taking in some electrolytes really helped.

1 Like

Whilst cramps are still fundamentally not understood, i thought they (the medical world) were starting to get close to confirming that is due to muscle fatigue and/or imbalance rather than anything to do with hydration, chemical balance etc.

1 Like

I’m sure that is also the case, hydration can be a factor though and is an easy one to get on top of.

Bike position could play a part here. If your saddle is too high and you are toe-pointing to reach the pedals, or your cleats a long way forward, these can both cause an increased contribution from the calf muscles which could lead to cramping. Could the tie in with sugar consumption just be coincidental? All factors worth looking at.

Sugary or carby foods make me cramp too. I read that when your blood sugar rises too fast, your body needs more calcium, magnesium and potassium and you become deficient.

Yup I cramp after I take gels. I have tried every type of gel there is and happens after each one. I also realized that I can survive a race perfectly without them anyway.

Same here, cramp after gel too

Was looking for answers about seizure-like cramping in legs after having sugar overload and ended up here. Am surprised that some say they never heard of it, just look for “nerves and sugar”, plenty written about that.
I had a nasty back injury which then resulted in damaged nerves or polyneuropathy. Before that happened, cramps I had weren’t anywhere near as severe. We all experienced cramps at some point. I could manage it with keeping electrolytes in balance. THIS is different, it’s like my body reacting violently, it can last up to 10 minutes.
Normally I eat super healthy but once or twice monthly I have a cheat meal. 1-2 hours after that the cramps start. When you eat carbohydrates, especially in processed forms, the carbohydrates break down into sugar (or glucose) which rushes into the bloodstream and then to your nerves and causes your nerves to swell. When the nerve swells it cuts off the blood supply to the nerve and damages it, which can result in tingling, burning or numbness in the hands and feet. So those of you who “never heard of it”, look it up.
All I can say is avoid sugar! Nothing else helps me, and I tried all sorts of supplements.
Maybe go with protein bars instead, that should help with energy levels. Green tea supplements also work fine.
Good luck!

1 Like

Wow. Interesting stuff. 100% of the time I have only had cramping from dehydration or low electrolytes. I drink a lot of water for 2 days before an event or big ride, and eat salty food the night before, and during the ride at least 950 mg salt per hour because I sweat a lot. Sometimes, a little bag of white salted pumpkin seeds to suck on in an emergency. That’s a long hard ride with lots of threshold. Otherwise, I adjust down. Glad I don’t have the sugar issues because I love to eat mini snickers bars when I ride!

1 Like

So glad I found this. For the past few years I had noticed intermittent, severe calf cramping. Didn’t know what caused it. Kept a food journal for a few weeks and figured out it was sugar or carbohydrate overload. Found a few references for it during my online searches. But hard to find anything that shows the reason. I knew there had to be other people out there! It totally sucks! But I manage. processed sugars/carbs are the worst. BTW, I am not a bike rider. It happens mostly at rest. thanks!

Hi, was looking up Sugar causes me to cramp and came across your post. It matches me to a Tee. I was wondering if you ever found any answers? I get very sever cramps most of the time in my legs. I’ve had blood clots before and it is either a small clot or cramp I’m not sure. I have found that Taking like 5 aspirin 81mg chewable will help make the pain go away in only mins after taking them. I have also used apple cider vinegar. Just drinking a small glass will help make it go away. I do have to say that aspirin is the sure go to when i have an episode. I told my Doctor and asked him. I get this look like he thinks I’m crazy or something. He only tells me he’s not sure about that and moves on. Well if you get this please respond or if anyone else has the same issue’s I welcome what you have found out. I have had several accidents that have left me with nerve damage in my back and legs. Issue’s with L4-L5,T11-T12, T1-C8-C7 so i do not rule out contributing factor.