Tacx vortex ex-users question

Thinking of upgrading from my vortex to something direct drive like a wahoo kickr core.

I was wondering for those who have, did you see any change in FTP or changes in workout intensity? interested to know if it reads high or low etc compared to other models.

While I can’t speak to change in FTP as I switched to power meter pedals around the same time I switched from Tacx Vortex to Kickr, I’d highly recommend the move. Direct drive is a much better experience!

1 Like

I had a 30 watt drop in FTP going to an Elite Direto. The Direto has issues in the speed it reacts to load changes but the reduction on sound is worth it. If your stereo rocks and you brag about your power to weight ratio over beers keep the Vortex

1 Like

I went to an Elite Direto 8 months ago from a Vortex, definitely a step up, going to a heavier flywheel. Plus you don’t have to pump up/check pressure of tyre every time you go to ride. And way quieter. But the vortex is good a starter before going direct drive. FTP wise, I think the vortex might of been over reporting, but i did do a new test when I got the Direto, and tested higher.

1 Like

I use my PM as a power source so there wasn’t a change in FTP. However, the switch to H2 was definitely worth it. As others have said, wheel-off trainers are quieter and just feel nicer. And my H2 just doesn’t overshoot every interval like Vortex did.

3 Likes

Did exactly the switch you’re talking about. While my FTP stayed in the same ballpark, the consistency with the kickr core is so much better! Depending on temperature, gearing and what not the workouts with the vortex often felt kind of off – nothing dramatic, but enough to make a substantial difference in anything targeting sweet spot and above. If a workout feels off in the core, it has always been related to my overall form at the moment. For me it takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation and gives me confidence in my training. And while ‘silent’ is a bit of a stretch imho, it’s SO MUCH quieter than the vortex.

3 Likes

I also did exactly that, Vortex to Kickr Core. The Kickr core is accurate (to within around 5 watts) of ‘real’ power, the Vortex was up to 40w out at parts of the curve, mainly over reading.

The other benefit is that the chain is MUCH louder than the Kickr Core when in use, rather than having the loud high pitched whine of the wheel on trainer. There’s also no slippage on sprints etc.

I’d highly recommend the change, especially if noise is an issue.

3 Likes

Recently switched from Vortex to Elite Suito and it is so much better, well worth changing to direct drive and suits is one of the best value as it includes everything to just plug and play!

2 Likes

Went from a vortex to a Kickr18 and would definitely also recommend the change. Initially, I just trained with the same FTP but the same workouts that I had done just a week prior were crushing me on the Kickr. I then did a ramp test and discovered the truth…the Vortex was over-reading! :unamused:

2 Likes

My Vortex read about 10% high compared to my H3. I just did a ramp test and moved on with my training.

AJ

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback team, not liking this vortex reading high thing tho’ :laughing: my mediocre FTP might be worse than I think :frowning:

2 Likes

You won’t be any slower outside after you get a new trainer. That’s what I told myself. I worked hard through my first training block with the H3 and earned back most of what the Vortex had gifted me.

1 Like

When I had my Vortex and started using trainerroad my ftp went to all times highs and I was pumped until I discovered it inflated power numbers by over 25% and worked terribly with power match. Got a H1 (Cycles Ops Hammer; on deep sale now) and it is much more realistic in erg mode.

This thread has perhaps confirmed what I already knew about my vortex…

Stupid question: Does over inflation of power also mean calorie numbers are inflated?

Not stupid at all. Yes, more power = more calories, so a falsely high FTP and related workout that leads to ### calories burned, may well be in excess of the actual burn.

2 Likes

I had a Vortex back in late 2015(?) and through a decent chunk of 2016. FTP and power, for me, was likely overstated by 30+ watts. I switched to an Elite Driveo + Quarq. After about 6 months on the new setup, I was convinced my old Vortex (I can only speak to the quality of mine) had skewed nearly a year of training data. My workouts on the Vortex were plenty hard, and I did get stronger – but the numbers produced had no relationship whatsoever to my Quarq-fitted bikes (2x), Driveo, 4iii, etc.

The Vortex got worse the hotter it got. Toward the end of a 90 minute session on the Vortex, the drift might be 40+ watts. So that’s really the issue: My Vortex wasn’t just ‘off’ by a certain number of watts – it drifted in the midst of a workout. On the final intervals of a hard workout, where the numbers really do matter, the hot Vortex was off so many watts that stuff which should have been mind-bendingly difficult, was actually pretty easy.

TL;DR ; if you can afford a new trainer, get one.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s best to calibrate a Vortex when it’s warmed up?

I have a Vortex. It works fine. I just got a Stages power meter and did a direct comparison - from 100 to 300 watts it was pretty much within 5 watts either way.

If I rode the trainer a lot or really needed a quiet solution I’d upgrade but other than that I’ll just ride the Vortex until it dies. It works fine for my purposes and I’d rather spend $1000 on other stuff.

Edit/update:
I ultimately found that my Vortex was way off the higher the wattage especially after it warmed up. It made my threshold appear to be 20-50 watts higher than it was. Sprints could read 70 watts too high on the Vortex.

I upgraded to a Kickr and am so much happier. It’s such a pleasure to ride.

I also take power from only my Stages whether I’m inside or outside. Now power is consistent ride to ride.

4 Likes

In terms of vortex calibration, I do it rarely, but what I have done is run one when it’s warmed up and then check tyre pressure once a week to match that calibrated pressure, seems to make it very consistent!

1 Like

Just moved from vortex to h3 so much quieter with a better feeling as well. Also the flywheel just spins for ages but I’ve found my power drifts ever so slightly up and down which gives me something to concentrate on when I’m in the pain tunnel.

1 Like