Ten high-leverage ways to improve your training and triathlon performance | EP#189 That Triathlon Show

Best episode in a while, @Mikael_Eriksson - we’re always chasing “low cost” gains.

Link to the episode!

I have a question though. You say one of the low hanging fruit for you has been to do all your high-intensity rides on a trainer in the TT position, which turned out to be much harder than the upright position. It’s of course very common to produce higher power upright. My question is: which position did you test in prior to the change, and which position will you test in now?

Thank you @kajet!

I have been testing (INSCYD testing) in the TT position but outdoors where my gap between TT and upright positions seems much smaller than indoors. That said, I will keep testing outdoors as that’s where I can really push myself in a test like that, and just be aware of the fact that I’ll have to scale my target power when doing workouts indoors (which I already have been doing).

1 Like

Which begs the question: how do you find out whether to scale by 1%, 5%, 10% or whatever number and - if you don’t mind me asking - how big is the gap for you? (Perhaps I should’ve submitted this question for the Q&A…)

It’s not very scientific, I go by RPE. I want my hard workouts, whether we’re talking threshold, supra-threshold, VO2max, even Sweet Spot to be close to but not quite a maximum effort. I want to feel as though I could have done just a little bit more by the end of them. So that guides the intensity, and then I learn what I managed to do for e.g. a VO2max workout and can use that as a benchmark or baseline for next week.

As for how big the gap is, I’m actually not quite sure as recently I’ve been doing very few hard workouts outdoors. I think at the beginning of the year when I wasn’t at all adapted to hard workouts on the trainer it would have been 20-30 watts, now it might be more in the region of 10-15 watts.

1 Like