Testing Hydration Level

Has anyone tried using the urine test strips that coach @chad described in a previous podcast to track their level of hydration? I wanted to try it and am curious of others’ experience with the testing. (Sorry but I could not find the podcast number with a search on SoundCloud. I wanted to reference it so if anyone knows the podcast, please reply. )

Episode 157…around 1:35:30…I just listened to this last week again because I’ve been cramping more and more lately. I don’t believe he ever says which ones he uses.
I am also interested in this though and would like to give them a go if anyone knows which ones to get.

A way to check your on the bike hydration is to weigh yourself before and after your workout. This is rather informative expecially after long rides. Though it’s not possible to replenish all that’s lost, it’s good to know if you’re under hydrating. I don’t recall the exact percentages, but I believe at 3% + weight loss your performance starts really declining.

When you are thirsty you need hydration. If you are not thirsty then you might not need to drink. Sorry but I keep it simple.

Sorry but you’re sort of wrong. It’s a little more involved than that and can be quite a science in working out hydration. If you’re thirsty, you’re probably already dehydrated, so I personally don’t live by your ideology, either in training or general day to day living.

2 Likes

pH Test Strips for Testing Alkaline and Acid Levels in the Body. Track & Monitor your pH Level using Saliva and Urine. Get Highly Accurate Results in Seconds. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFSEB00/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VGFcCbCT412MD

I literally just purchased these after listening to coach Chad talk about them for a second time. I’ll probably try them over the weekend. I’m not sure if I’m going to know what to do with the data I gather, like with what to hydrate. But I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

1 Like

I ordered Uritest by HealtyWiser from Amazon. One of the parameters that’s measured is specific gravity.

1 Like

Hi @chad could you share which strips you are currently using? I have regular problems with cramping and after las week podcast am decided to give it a try. Did some research in the forum and on amazon and could not find any info. Thanks!

Sure thing, @ayglesias. Uritest 10-Parameter

Ive never used these strips, but want to try them to keep check on body PH - You mention SG how do the srips test the SG ? is it based on colour match the same as PH ?

What data field am I looking at when I’m trying to check my hydration? The pH?

The specific gravity measurement is the one you want to look at, @dannyhirtler. The closer to 1.0/greener, the better/more hydrated.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you so much!
Btw I’ve been trying to find some resources on sweat rates and how you lose Sodium and Chloride at different levels, which is why you shouldn’t use regular table salt if possible. I can’t seem to find anything with my limited google skills. Can you point me in the direction of some materials that can help me study up on that? I know you’ve mentioned it on the podcast numerous times.

Most of this information has comes from Stacy Sims (Skratch, then Osmo, now Nuun), a bit from Allen Lim (Skratch), and some from Andy Blow (Precision Hyrdation) either via their newsletters, directly from their respective websites, or clinics/conferences/summits/webinars, that sort of thing, @dannyhirtler. And here’s a good YouTube video to start with: The Science of Hydration with Dr. Stacy Sims - YouTube