Testosterone, Mid-Race Mechanicals, Dirty Kanza and More – Ask a Cycling a Coach 191

We’re answering more of your coaching questions on Episode 191 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast! Join us live as we discuss testosterone’s effect on performance, mid-race mechanical strategies, Dirty Kanza training, rapid fire questions for Coach Chad and much more!

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

Live Notes

Coach Jonathan’s Post on Knee Rehab:

Pivot Mach 429 SL:
https://www.pivotcycles.com/de/bike-mach-429-sl-carbon-1

Tubeless Tire Repair Kit:

Tire Boot Patch:

Pedros Tire Levers:

Criterium Specialty Plan:
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/175-criterium-mid-volume

The Dirty Kanza Gravel Grinder:
https://dirtykanza.com/

Global DRO:
https://www.globaldro.com/Home

How Aging Athletes Can Get Faster:

Is Alcohol the Reason You’re Not Getting Faster:

4 Likes

You should give a shout out to Von (aka Mrs @GPLama ) for rocking a trainerroad kit in the lama drives video today.

5 Likes

Sometimes the W/O text is distracting. How about a STFU button so you can kill them mid ride. Alternately, how about having James Earl Jones read them as Darth Vader.

1 Like

If you prefer not having the workout text, you can turn them off in settings by unchecking the “Show Instructional Text”

3 Likes

When I find my self annoyed and distracted by the text I’m usually at 150%. :wink:

@Ian hey pass this on to the coaches. Regarding the helicopter pilot rest piece: I have a variable schedule flying red eye flight every week but, then have to turn around and be ready for a early am flight segment. On top of that I choose to bid reserve (on call) so I never know when/if I will fly.
My schedule is different day to day, week to week and month to month…I’ve found sort of analogous to"time at VO2" vs. power, time sleeping in a 24 hour period is the important aspect to combat the problems with our schedules and to keep training. I no longer worry or can sleep 8 hours in a row. But, I can get 8 hours in a 24 maybe in two or three sleep cycles. Only after I attain 8 hours (or whatever works for the individual) do I think about riding.

1 Like

Also @Ian or if the helicopter pilot is reading… since I’ve started using a smart watch tracking HR and sleep I think just for the fact I’m tracking it and aware I’m sleeping more. So track your sleep.

Will do @KorbenDallas! Thank you for sharing your experiences with a constantly changing schedule and night shifts! This is some valuable insight for this with a similar situation!

Any info on a lightweight chain tool to carry on MTB endurance races?

There are a lot of different options. The EDC (everyday carry) form OneUp does it all and can all be fitted in the head tube. Take a look here (oneups website is currently down)

1 Like

I use the park tool brute. It’s a little heavier than I’d like, but I’d be wary of going smaller/lighter until I know the smaller/lighter tool can do the job.

I’ve broken/joined chains with the park tool brute, and even using this tool, it’s not exactly what I’d describe as easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-CT-5-Chain-Brute/dp/B000OYHCHG/ref=asc_df_B000OYHCHG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312094794167&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18434530472195762035&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1028087&hvtargid=pla-493941683196&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=63784736042&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312094794167&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18434530472195762035&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1028087&hvtargid=pla-493941683196If

2 Likes

Just wanted to thank Coach Chad for his input on VO2 Max… thought it was absolutely brilliant summary of how it all works, and gave me a much better understanding how the VO2 max sessions work, particularly around the duration of intervals and repeatability. The point about the effects of over pushing yourself in a workout and its impact on subsequent workouts rang true with me.
It was a good reminder of how talented coach Chad is… it would be great to hear more insights like this from him on the podcasts.

3 Likes

@Ian can i please get a link to “Chad’s Books”?

1 Like

Some older info.

2 Likes

thanks @mcneese.chad, Yeah I guess that 2016 post needs some updating :upside_down_face:

1 Like

All good info, though.

I expect the OP will be updated with the more recent stuff mentioned today.

1 Like

I carry this, 164 grams:

4 Likes

I am curious about how fast it is to get at the tools using the system. I watched their installation video a while back on a whim. I also wonder if it is compatible with a carbon steerer since it was not carbon in said video.

Lezyne makes very light multi tools, some with tire levers and co2 chuck.

@Nate_Pearson you guys jinxed me! I was listening to your podcast (via bluetooth beanie) on my ride this morning and you started talking about tubeless plugs and about 10 minutes later I noticed my tubeless rear tyre was getting flatter. I stopped to pump it up but it went down again. Ended up putting a tube in it to get home! Don’t you know it’s bad luck to say the p word?!?

1 Like