The 2019 Kona Thread + Pro Winner Polls!

Kona week is nearly here! We’ll be on the island Sunday-Sunday recording podcasts and doing group rides every day, as well as a happy hour with apps and drinks at Kona Brewing Company. We’ll have plenty of swag to hand out as well, so we can’t wait to meet up! See below for details:

TrainerRoad Happy Hour
Our Happy Hour reservation is technically “full”, but I don’t think they’d be upset if you go to Kona Brewing Company and just happen to let us buy you some drinks. ;). If you can’t make it, drop us a message below to meet up at another point this week!
Come join the podcast hosts and the rest of the Kona-bound TR crew for drinks, apps, and good times!
RSVP here.
When: Wednesday, October 9, 6:30-9:30pm
Where: Kona Brewing Company (74 Pawai Pl, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740)
Who: Bring your friends and family. All are welcome!

Daily Rides
We are going to be riding from Kona Haven Coffee (75-5805 Alii Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI) Monday-Friday at 7:00am and would love to have you join us!

Everyday beside Wednesday will be some variation of the Captain Cook ride (route here). You can count on being back at the starting point of the ride between 9:00 and 10:00am. On Wednesday we will be doing the awesome/brutal Kaloko Drive climb (route here). This ride is going to be a bit longer, and you can expect to be back at some point between 10:00 and 11:00am.

These aren’t drop rides, so we will be regularly recollecting. I’m sure we’ll pick some segments to hammer on, but we’ll be sure to stop and regroup thereafter.

Podcasts
We’ve been interviewing Kona qualifiers all week and have plans to record a podcast with one of them every day. These podcasts will be have video but will not be livestreamed. We will be publishing them every day on YouTube and all podcast channels. Looking forward to it!

Last but not least, winner’s polls for the pro divisions!

Pro Women Poll

• Daniela Ryf
  • Lucy Charles
  • Anne Haug
  • Mirinda Carfrae
  • Sarah True
  • Sarah Crowley
  • Kaisa Sali
  • Corinne Abraham
  • Linsey Corbin
  • Heather Jackson
  • Carrie Lester
  • Nikki Bartlett
  • Emma Bilham
  • Lauren Brandon
  • Susie Cheetham
  • Mareen Hufe
  • Sue Huse
  • Jocelyn McCauley
  • Laura Philipp
  • Sarah Piampiano

0 voters

Pro Men Poll

• Patrick Lange
  • Bart Aernouts
  • David McNamee
  • Jan Frodeno
  • Sebastian Kienle
  • Timothy O’Donnell
  • Braden Currie
  • Matthew Russell
  • Joe Skipper
  • Andy Potts
  • Cameron Wurf
  • Michael Weiss
  • Ben Hoffman
  • Patrik Nilsson
  • Tim Reed
  • Lionel Sanders
  • James Cunnama
  • Andi Boecherer
  • Cody Beals
  • Alistair Brownlee

0 voters

7 Likes

:tada::champagne:
Really looking forward to watching Kona this year and very jealous you guys are out there.

Have a great time!

2 Likes

Looking forward to riding with you guys again this year. I’m getting in Monday night so I’ll be there for the Tuesday morning ride. I wonder if we’ll see Kienle on the kaloko ride this year🤔. Now I just need to decide which bike I should bring this year…

3 Likes

Last year the TrainerRoad coverage on the podcast and the forum/blog post was really great, good job! Already looking forward!

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you again as well, Josh! I think it’s really cool that Kienle still climbs that every year. Impressive athlete!

If you are doing Kaloko, bring whatever has a lot of gears, hehe.

1 Like

Shelley P wants to know if the group ride is a testosterone-infused hammerfest with all the dudes trying to pummel eachother into submission or will it still be fun for fast females? :joy:

2 Likes

I’m going to have a 39-30 for Kaloko…so I might be walking in certain sections if there’s moss on the road and I’m slipping :scream:.

I hope to see a lot of you on the rides and hopefully for a few drinks at Kona Brewing Company. You should all take pics of Chad drinking and put them on your strava :blush:.

11 Likes

I hope this becomes a yearly tradition :laughing:

6 Likes

Since Shelley is faster than Chad, Chad wants to know if Shelley can keep the watts down so she doesn’t drop him. :laughing:

Nah, we’ll keep it together. We might do short “all out” efforts up from Captain Cook but those are like 3, 9 or 20 min efforts then we regroup. I get dropped on those too :smiley: .

I’m also pretty sure Shelley will beat half the TR crew up Kaloko Drive :smile:.

3 Likes

haha, see you soon!

1 Like

Nate’s right – Shelley will drop everybody beside Brandon as soon as the gradient goes up any more than 0%, haha!

Wouldn’t be the same without ya, Shelley!

Just RSVP’d - all being well I’ll make it along. It’ll be great to meet you all :+1:

I’m on a 55/44 with an 11-28 for the race so I’ll give Kaloko a miss if that’s OK :grinning:

4 Likes

I really want Ali to remind the world that at his best he is an untouchable athlete.

3 Likes

See everyone out on the big island!!

2 Likes

How cool would that be, right!? In my heart, I want to see that result because it would blow all of our minds.

Do you think he has a decent shot at it?

Stoked to see you! Are you and/or your wife racing again?

The question surprisingly after his ITU career is on his run, he’ll be out of the water first pack, he’ll be strong enough to keep up with the runners on the bike but can he hold it together in hot conditions, he didn’t run particuarly well in Nice. I’d love to see it but I don’t.

1 Like

Jonathan, stoked as well man. Qualified for next year so pure vaca mode this year. There is a medical conference in Maui the week after the race so we made a little trip out of it. Will be there until Monday and then cruising over to Maui for the remainder of the week.

1 Like

Are you going to ride with us?