The 2019 TrainerRoad Running Thread

Good podcast listen here regarding training - i thought of this when they talked about different types of fatigue and training in a Houston summer which they mentioned in the middle!

Some good stuff which is equally applicable to riding, some of the research quoted was cycling based.

3 Likes

I have a Landice L7. It was around $2800 when I bought it about 5-6 years ago. What I like about Landice treadmills; lifetime warranty, no maintenance to the belt or other parts is necessary, feels more like the road than others and a powerful motor. It changes speed quickly, way faster than the typical Sole, Nordictracks. Quickly increase or decrease elevation.

At the time I bought mine you could choose between two different belts, I chose the one that had the road feel and not the squishy belt (for people with bad knees). It is a no frills machine, no connecting to anything, they may have updated their machines since then I don’t know. Mine still works great, never had an issue with it. Granted I only put a few hundred miles per year on it. I only run on it when I have to watch the kids or due to weather.

1 Like

I’ve no idea whether they are available in the US but I’ve got a Horizon T4000 Premier treadmill. I’ve had it a few years now, put a decent number of miles on it and it’s been great so far.

1 Like

@GregH

Tapering well? :grinning::crossed_fingers:

@JulianM, yeah I’m easing into the taper pretty nicely. Did two of my favourite short uphill time trials last night, which I feel are always a good barometer of my fitness, and got a clear PB on one of them.
Now just to stay healthy for the next week! Thanks!

2 Likes

It seems we’ve got the exact same podcast subscriptions!

I listened to most of it this morning, really good episode. Some of the most common sense stuff I’ve heard regarding intensity distribution.

There was also a good point that fitness breakthroughs are often attributed to the wrong workouts/phases, due to the fact that adaptation from workouts takes time; you don’t get immediate adaptation. It’s something to think about in the TR world… people often judge the success of a plan based on their FTP increase immediately at the end of that particular phase. Maybe an FTP boost after a build phase is more to do with how your body responded to the base phase, rather than the workouts you’ve recently been doing.

This… this is why consistency is king. I don’t think i really see the full benefits of the build until almost half way through specialty.

Have a good week - the work is done :+1:.

Personally I struggle with taper weeks - I get itchy feet and want to be doing something :blush:

1 Like

Agree 100%. It’s a good Podcast but that episode was particularly so.

@Bioteknik Again 100% agreed. I’d even extend that out further to years as opposed to blocks of training or even seasons. Having a quick look at my last 5 years training I’ve averaged just under 14 hours (swim, bike and run) per week for that period including all the zero/injured/holiday time. I’ve been through times where there seems to have been little improvement for long periods before a sudden performance increase for reasons I can’t immediately put my finger on. The cumulative effect of that 5 year period almost certainly outweighs the particular training block directly before that ‘breakthough performance’ however nice and easy it would be to say that that block worked better than all the others.

Everything you’ve done before today is the ‘base’ you build on moving forward and you can’t just look at the past couple of months, or even years, training inputs without taking into consideration all the work that led up to it. It’s one of the main complications in all the discussions around different training methodologies for example. You can’t disassociate the 8 or 12 week study from the period of training (or non training) the came beforehand.

1 Like

Has anyone used the motorless style treadmills? The type you have to engage your posterior chain to drive the belt? I used one (at LifeTime Fitness) last year training for IM Chattanooga when my knee was injured. It really concentrates your workout, kind of like running up a sand dune. On the road, flat surface, cool morning, I can do 8:00-8:15 pace and keep my HR in the 120’s; equal HR on the motorless TM puts me at about a 10:00 pace. There’s a slight incline to start with, plus you can add resistance to the belt in increments. I feel like the impact is much less than regular TM or asphalt. I equate it to riding rollers.

I started strength training in the summer… it’s only now (about 7 months later!) that I think I’m starting to see performance pay-off from that. Like you both say, long-term consistency is key.

This is a good point. If TR were to ever add POL plans this would be the big problem. Most folk would look to validate POL based on an FTP test immediately following a single POL plan, completely discounting the work they were doing before that.

1 Like

I caught a wild hair and decided to run a streak this year. That is, run every day, at least 1 mile.

I’m new to running. I mean, we all “ran track” in HS, but nothing consistent in my adult life. My wife has run a half a dozen half marathons over the last 5 years or so, and it seemed interesting. Im a strong recreational cyclist in my mid 30’s.

Since I’m new to running I wanted to be really cautious about getting injured and setting back my cycling and lifestyle. I started out with running and walking, alternating every 20 yards or so (mailboxes), now Im up to running maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of a mile without a walking break. Some days I only walk a mile, other days I run/walk 2.5 miles. I know I could run a 5k, but i don’t want to hurt on the next day’s run, so no big jumps in mileage. Perhaps I will build up to a half marathon by the end of the year?

My wife and I just had our 2nd child, he’s now 3 months, and the first one is 20 months. Yeah, 2 under 2, So sleep and recovery are poor and life can be stressful and VERY busy. I think part of this Streak is just to feel like Im still investing something in myself and not giving it all up to the family. After the birth of the first baby I trained for and rode the Assault on Mt Mitchell, a 102, 11k climbing ride, so maybe this is the coping strategy for this baby?

I’ve been running outside exclusively, sometimes in the rain, cold, and dark. Ive seen more of the world than I have seen before and have learned not to let the weather be an excuse. I never wear headphones, and use the time to be alone with myself in relative quiet. I think part of the streak is just a commitment to create a little quiet time by myself each day. It has certainly brought some focus to each day and a sense of accomplishment in an otherwise seemingly endless stream of babies crying and dirty diapers.

Thanks for listening!

7 Likes

I don’t have any race goals just a daily goal of running a least 1 continuous mile every day. I’m a member of the United States Run Streak Association. Started my streak August 20, 2015. I sprinkle in a few organized runs during the year, 5k, 10k 10m and 1/2s. Haven’t done a full yet.

3 Likes

I did not know know this series and listened into this episode: WOW this is pretty good insights on delay of training impact and plateaus. Definitely worth listening - and not just for running.

1 Like

Agreed, it’s one of the best training podcast episodes I’ve listened to. I’ve shared it in another thread as I think some of the cyclists would be interested in listening to it.

1 Like

I don’t know too much about Jonathon Marcus but Steve Magness is well worth taking notice of whether listening or through his books.

Training and exercise can be hugely powerful in many ways. Chapeau.

2 Likes

Jonathon Marcus is good value, although he sometimes gets a bit too philosophical for my taste :slight_smile: They both really know their stuff though. Steve Magness’ “Peak Performance” book is a really good read.

1 Like

Awesome. Running in the early morning hours, especially before dawn (or equiv in summer), is fantastic: so few people out, sometimes none (especially in adverse conditions… like rain in Los Angeles), little to no traffic (if you’re road running)… it’s your own world. And, you can get something out of a 20-30min workout.

6 Likes

first cheers on your run progress and your journey in enjoying the loneliness. it’s great to embrace exploring the world around you. to me this is one of the big joys of running.

in contrast, I despise runs > 70-80min. it’s too much for me in terms of monotony. even when I have music onboard… with cycling, no problems to go for hours.

I hope the 11k were feet ?:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like