The 24 Hours in The Old Pueblo Thread

Yeah, that’s insane that he managed the 32nd fastest lap time after a mechanical and having to wait. He must have been booting it. I wonder what his moving average speed was compared to the rest of the field.

All good! Fun lap.

My shifting started messing up under power on the gas line, but I was so focused on trying to hang with the lead group I didn’t think to stop and tighten the axle. I got separated from the lead group and formed a smaller group with some fast folks and we hung together for about 2/3 of a lap before the mechanical really started getting bad (handling was bad and shifting was terrible). I planned to stop just ahead of where the wheel actually fell out of its slot, making me crash :man_shrugging:.

Crash wasn’t bad, but I had to wait for about 3 minutes for somebody with a multi tool (I meant to grab mine, but was a bit rushed this morning and overlooked it), then about a minute to fix.

Noticed a big difference in pace from most people from the beginning to the end of the lap. Power meter didn’t pair (something to do with starting the activity at the run point far away from my bike, maybe?), but the effort felt consistent.

The dirt has changed a lot. I was toward the front, so I’m sure this has already changed, but the mud is gone and I experienced a ton of loose gravel on top of hard pack. Made the turns much more of a technical affair than they were at race pace.

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/leejonathan/rides/50666702-lunch-ride

13 Likes

Oh man! @Jonathan is the last person I thought that’d happen to! Glad he’s ok!

No cacti involved? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Good luck guys and glad your ok Jonathan!

Brandon’s lap is done! 1:04:33. Awesome lap time!

We should have an update from him soon.

Nate is now on course.

13 Likes

He pulled a Nate?! Great time despite that.

2 Likes

Brandon mentioned he lost a lot of time relative to those he was racing with in the lower portion of the course where it is tight and windy. The frustrating part is he knew he was stronger than them, but just couldn’t utilize it. Such is mountain biking!

9 Likes

Keep it up TR crew!

Did you make sure @Nate_Pearson had a multitool when he left for his lap?

2 Likes

This reminded me of 2018 Leadville Stage Race. On the inbound Powerline walk, there was one dude in a red and black Audi Team kit (long blond hair) who loosened his rear axle before he started to walk up and then before he got back on the bike, he tightened the axle. Wondered if there’s less drag when you’re walking up a hill with a loose rear axle. I’m not saying that this is what Coach Jonathan did, but a loose rear axle situation just reminded me of this.

Oh man @Jonathan your next MTBpodcast has a topic all set for it! Sorry dude.

Nate came through with a 1:08:01. Great lap, and the advice some of you gave that the third rider has to deal with the most riders on course (if you’re a fast team, you come across a lot of teams on their second lap).

We were in 12th in our division and 24th overall before Nate’s lap. We’ll see where we stand after Pete’s lap.

12 Likes

It should now be referred as pulling a Jonathan :wink:.

11 Likes

Lots of traffic on the third lap. 3rd lap people passing second lap people. Such is racing! This will probably help me not have such a drop in race time though :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Great updates! I’m in Newcastle, Australia watching the live results and the forum. Looking forward to your posts in the witching hours:scream::hot_face: of the morning. Need an update from Chad:partying_face:
Good luck guys.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson Fair enough😀

How’s the team morale so far?

How drunk is Chad?

1 Like

Chad’s out by the rock giving out beers, he’s already napped so he’s in high spirits.

The racers are good too, although there’s probably no chance of us getting top 5.

6 Likes

1:09:47 from Pete! What happened? Did he pull a Nate?

Stay positive and focus on your process goals!

2 Likes