The Ironman in 2019 thread

FWIW I know a few people who have done Copenhagen and they’ve only got good things to say about the race. Sheltered swim, flattish bike and lots of support on the run.

Copenhagen sounds perfect for 2020 for my first M. race. Although Outlaw again is much cheaper

Great idea. I’m returning to the Nottingham Outlaw Full Distance in July next year. I will be following the Full Distance plans. Currently filling in the time until they start by loosely following the Full Distance Base plan to identify current weaknesses.

I will be on an aid station make sure you put your race number on towards the time

1 Like

@Simo429 Will do. Look forward to seeing you.

I’m fond of the Outlaw. It was my first triathlon in it’s first year, 2010 and raced it 4 times although only finished it twice! It would definitely have been my race of choice next year if other things hadn’t come up.

After the frustration of a DNF this year I definitely be back again one day.

1 Like

I love outlaw because its local and I can sleep in my own bed the night before but I would like that m. experience at least once

That’s good to know. I still have 12 weeks or so from finishing trad base until I need to start the HIM base/build/specialty cycle so maybe the Olympic plans will be a good filler.

1 Like

I have done it twice before, absolutely loved the atmosphere. My last attempt two years ago resulted in a 14hr 4min time. Those 4 mins have stayed with me for 2 years so I’ve just had to go back.

1 Like

We would have finished quite close, my day was really disappointing was sure I could have done something with 12 on the clock, had 2 bad mechanicals one inside Holme Pierrrpont and ended up coming in at 14.30

Plenty of time to find those 4 minutes next year. Hopefully the weather will be more like it was 2 years ago rather than this year which was horrific :umbrella::tornado:

I had to drop out after the Northern loop this year because my eTap gearing went haywire in the rain making the bike unrideable. All ifs and but of course but I would have been pushing for an overall podium spot I think. Gutted, but I’ll be back one year.

Friend of mine did it this year and gave me the story of the weather, definitely hoping for the weather of 2 years ago. Sorry to hear of your problems.

1 Like

Was hoping for 13 something, so gutted at first. However, I developed a cold the day after so reckoned that had a little to do with it.

Such is life. If I had finished well at the Outlaw I wouldn’t have even have thought about going to do IM Maryland. It turned out to be an very expensive mechanical :blush:

2 Likes

Hi y’all,

@JoeX cool thread idea, I was pinged at the top, so here I am :smiley:

I am planning on signing up to Ironman 70.3 Gdynia when the registration opens in December. The race will be taking place on 11th August 2019, so plenty of time for training!

I recently got a wahoo kickr core and set my trusty Canyon Ultimate on it, then promptly signed up to trainerroad and loaded up the mid-volume half distance base program. Then I realised I have way too much time between now and the race, so I need to pad it somehow! After doing a week of the program and asking for help on the trainerroad forum I switched to mid-volume sweet spot base.

I then tried to fit some swims (my weakest leg) and runs (my strongest leg) around it. That worked the first two weeks, then less so as life gets in the way. I had to skip one week due to illness as well, so today I just finished a repeat of week 2 of the SSB. But so far so good, my motivation is still at a very good level. I got the trainer to up my cycling game so I don’t regret having to skip the runs and rides now and again when needed, focusing on the riding bits. I know I will have plenty of time to train swimming and running when I move to half distance base some time in February.

So, here’s my piece. Stay motivated lads and gals, I’ll check in here again some time later :wink:

5 Likes

this is a great thread! @JoeX

I am planning two 70.3 events, one in June/July (first peak, B race) and one in September (A race). The races should be spread out by more than 6-8 weeks to allow sufficient time to rest & build further fitness. I have a shortlist of race options but not sure yet which I will pursue. I am choosing between local races (where I can be more competitive, which is fun) and courses with more elevation/hills as I am a very light rider (and I live in Holland where the world is dead flat).

plan to go to B race is SSB1 and 2 → Sustained Power Build → part of SSB2 → HIM Build → HIM Speciality. I am already on the way and have left a few extra weeks for travels/possible illness and to have time off to recuperate mentally and physically.

3 Likes

I’m preparing for my first Ironman - 30/06/2019 Nice.

It was on my ‘must do before I die’ list for 10 years already and I’ve never took a step towards this goal. This year I finally decided to do something about it. Bought a road bike, done my first triathlon in July and a half-iron in September.

I’ve managed to put swimming in running easily into my agenda - swimming at lunch time, and running back home from work every other day - this one is such a no brainer once you’ve tried it !

Cycling though is much tougher to schedule (2 kids). Just bought a home trainer and discovered Trainer Road. Oh my ! This is the best way to spent money ever (both the home trainer and Trainer Road) ! I was a bit worried about how I will train for the bike leg, but now it’s just sooo easy to fit into agenda - loving it.

I literally have tears in my eyes every time I workout, thinking about the fact that I will complete an Ironman in 8 months, while sweating damn hard in my pain cave.

9 Likes

Heads up: LONG post, but I’d appreciate advice/guidance from those who have experience

I’m doing Ironman Canada (Whistler, British Columbia), July 28.
Background:
It’s been my dream of twenty years to do an Ironman, ever since I saw the special on tv back in the late 90s. I was going through a rough period with clinical depression & thought completing an Ironman would be the biggest middle finger salute to mental illness.
I wasn’t able to train much due to depression and/or anxiety (diagnosed w/ social anxiety in early 2000s) so I stuck to sprints.
Fast forward to 2016-ish, having had a particularly bad period of severe anxiety where I was in bed most days for over three years, I started to come out of it. I suspect the anxiety got bad due to several undiagnosed concussions (mountain biking, dirt jumping ~ cracked 5 ribs in 7 places, snowboarding) in a one or two year period.
I decided to go for it, started a mental health advocacy campaign & race team called The #TriAgainProject (I’d appreciate a like/follow/share on Facebook & IG), found some sponsors & teammates.
I’ve been struggling with low ferritin & fluctuating levels for the last year and a bit, plus an old injury from previously mentioned MTB crash where I apparently tore my lateral quadriceps & deactivated it. So my hill climbs are notoriously slow due to functioning with only 3/4 of my quad muscles firing. This is not ideal especially since the Whistler bike course is pretty much all hills.
I did Ironman Canada 70.3 in 2017 (w/ low ferritin, having had flu at the beginning of race month) w/ a time of almost 10½hrs; I just decided to keep going until they took me off course & I wasn’t, so I’m listed as an official finisher. When I’m feeling bad during a workout, I think back to that race to remind myself I can get through pain.
I was going to do IMC 2018 but my ferritin levels were all over the map, so I deferred.
Signed up for a half iron distance instead & had to DNF 40km into the bike due to my quad cramping & compressing on my ITB ~ it was 14°C, torrential downpour (at times hail) and gusts of 17km/h winds. The course was easier than the 70.3 I did the year before, so I was (still am) irritated. But it prompted me to finally start getting physiotherapy.

So I decided to get a smart trainer because it rains where I live November to April pretty much. I live close to Whistler, so once it’s nicer out I can actually go ride the course. I’ve driven part of the new course and it’s tough!
The plan is to train using the course gpx file in the winter. :slight_smile: «-- I’m sure that smily face will not be as smiley in a few months… haha.

Where I’m at:
*Half-marathon: 2h52m (May 2017, didn’t train much for it)
*70.3 : 10h28m (July 2017, low ferritin [25], bad case of flu race month)
*Marathon: 6h54m (May 2018 this race sucked)
*Standard tri: 4h09m (March 2018, 3 loops, with 1km long gradual climbs)

My race calendar is as follows:
Februray 10: Half-marathon
Goal: 2h30m

March 9 triathlon: standard distance (1500m/40km/10km), pool swim
Goal: sub 3h15 (bonus if I can get under 3hrs)

May (first Sunday): marathon
Goal: sub-5hr

May 20: triathlon (600m/18km/5km)
Just for fun

July 28: Ironman Canada
Goal: sub-16hr

I’m just getting back into working (very) part-time (a couple hours 6 days a week coaching youth triathlon and tutoring), so I have time to train, but since I was inactive or so long & due to my ferritin issues, I’m out of shape. My brain is several steps ahead of my body’s capability.

I just started seeing a naturopath for nutritional consultation; I’m seeing a physiotherapist; I’ll be getting my bike re-fit by a physiotherapist soon; I’m also going to be starting planning sessions with a personal trainer in the next few weeks. I’ll be getting a fitness membership so I’ll have access to the pool & weight room w/ stretching areas whenever the facilities are open.
Plus Trainer Road. (possibly Zwift)

Swimming: strongest of the three disciplines; former lifeguard & swim instructor, taught for 8+ yrs, so I’m not worried about the swim as long as I can get my fitness up. I am blessed to be a confident swimmer. Can’t do flip turns though, haha. That’s probably making my times slow.

Biking ~ I just got a full carbon bike this past year ~ what a difference. Aerobar set up. I like riding outdoors, but bike fit is not the best, but as mentioned, I’ll be getting re-fit soon. Bike handling skills are decent, so I’m confident going fast on descents. Need to work on the climbs. I was That Person on the climbs: carbon bike, aero bars & getting passed by everyone, including the people ridind steel bikes w/ paniers… sigh

Running ~ meh. I see it as something I have to get through to earn the finish line. I enjoy intervals/track workouts. I don’t run w/ music, ever.

I have had very slow times for my races, as I was unable to train as much as I wanted to. Let’s be honest: I’m out of shape, trying to get my life back together after being bedridden for over 3 years pretty much and my metabolism is messed up I think from going from inactivity to racing again.

Equipment & facilities:
Tacx Flux ~ Trainer Road (total noob)
Garmin 920XT (w/ foot pod, HRM strap)
Garmin Edge 500
Foam roller, resistance bands, 5lb medicine balls, rotating disc thing you stand on
Swim: 25m local, but can travel a bit to use 50m pool; OWS group in summer drop-in; master’s swim group drop-in @ pools where I’ll be getting a membership 5 days a week, 2 ability levels
Weight room: circuit room, traditional workout room

Pros:
» I have time
» confident swimmer
» Motivated (finishing Ironman Canada is the cornerstone of my campaign)
» Like structured, prescriptive workouts
» Am motivated by watching the numbers & graphs on display screen during a workout
» mentally tough to push through long workouts/races
» I don’t get too discouraged by being slow AF, I take time to process the DNFs or bad races, then look at what I need to do to improve
» I have done lots of triathlons (10+ sprints, 2 standard, half iron), so I’m familiar w/ race day/transition etc
» I know I have endurance, I’m just slow
» I have the facilities nearby

Cons:
Low cash flow due to being off work & just returning to The Real World

Anxiety & overwhelm: need to stay motivated & be able to stay focused; hoping TR will help

No reliable baseline of potential: most races in the past couple seasons I was sick or injured (I’d start training & ferritin would drop, I’d get sick before races etc)

Concerns:
I’m not sure what program to choose, as I have time but don’t know how much I can handle.
I did a lactate threshold run test a couple weeks ago (10 m warm up, 20 min tempo, 5 min rest, 2 hill intervals) and needed 3 days rest. Sometimes it’s difficult to separate psychological fatigue from physical, but I’m cautious about overtraining as I don’t want to go back to being mentally ready to train & have my body unable to handle doing day-to-day Things.

Do I choose the long distance triathlon (iron distance) plan? Or start w/ the Olympic plan (I’d like to be strong for the race in March) and switch to iron distance after?
How do I adjust my training around my races?
Thoughts on how to incorporate Zwift into Ironman training?

I’ve been reading through The Triathlete’s Training Bible, so I have some background knowledge.

Can I get ANT+ antenna at a computer shop?
I’m considering buying the Tacx ANT+ antenna, but that would mean I’d have to wait a couple weeks for it to arrive.

TIA for your insight.
I’m looking forward to training.

5 Likes

Escape from Alcatraz is on my bucket list:)

Awesome man! Nice is a superb Ironman location!
We will have our first Ironmans at the same day. You in Nice, me in Frankfurt. :smile:

Will you commit to a training plan for this event?

1 Like