The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

Cheers for the updates @JoeX and everyone else. I’ve been in an injury hell since October, unavoidable accidents to first my knee, then shoulder, then turned my ankle badly just walking.
Done virtually nothing apart from a few short commutes.

Anyway, tested at 259w then did Shasta last night and Tunnabora tonight and nailed them both. Still can’t run and swimming off track but legs feel ok on bike, surprisingly.

Plan builder in place, playing catch up but time to trust the process and be consistent. Hopefully get to 75CTL for IM in June then closer to 90 for September.

6 Likes

That’s quite big increase. Just as well you tested. Good work.

Nice job! The bad news is things will be tough for a few weeks.

@TG333, mind if I ask what the coach charges? I’m thinking of hiring one soon.

@Simo429, I use T26 for swim and BarryP for run. But right now I’m not running due to my Achilles tendinitis

I pay 60€ per month for a monthly plan and the occasional consultation, over the phone or face to face. We discuss progress and he adjusts the plan each month accordingly, also accounting for business trips or other work commitments. I’ve never really got into the TR tri plans and bought plans on TP before, but I must say especially for my running the frequent updating and adjusting has made all the difference.

2 Likes

I’m tossing my hat in the ring for 2020. Will be doing the Kinetic Half May 9 in Virginia and IM Maryland 9/19.

On that note, has anyone here used TR for first IM or use it after you have gone the distance a time or two when you want to start adding speed to the equation?

Many thanks!

I didn’t use it in 2018 and I’m using it this time. I’ve already upped my FTP by 42W, so… probably should have used it last time.

1 Like

got Allegheny scheduled tonight … :worried: :

2 Likes

I did, worked perfectly and I finished very solid. I did however do a few long outdoor rides in addition to the TR plan, mainly to test position, fueling and to gather some more confidence.

2 Likes

3.25h of bliss! :grinning:

Will you be staring at the TR blue graph or do you have another tactic?

2 Likes

Since it clogs up my insta feed I have to ask (I guess the advertising works?): Anyone tried the magic 5 swim goggles? They’ve got a convincing pitch and advertising, but I’ve never heard of them. Before I waste a lot of money on spa pair of goggles I’d appreciate some first hand experience. If they work however I might take the plunge.

Just a PSA out there to remind folks that just because you are “comfortable” on your bike, your fit might still be out of whack and you could be losing many many watts.

I got my new bike back from the shop and it supposedly had been setup according to the measurements sent in by my fitter. My first ride was Phoenix…I completed it, but for a 0.8IF workout, it was way harder than it should have been. I figured maybe the fit was off a bit and I was trying a different shaped extension. Then I did Shortoff + 1, and failed miserably. I did do a tempo XC ski the day before so I chalked it up to that. Then Redlake + 4, and again failed miserable. During that one I spent a fair amount of time tweaking my fit as I started to suspect it at that point. Finally I went back to Phoenix before I was due to bring it in to the fitter which again was horrible. But all of this was simply a matter of I couldn’t hold the power. Actually being on the bike and pedaling was absolutely fine. I was very comfortable.

Basically when I was putting out 270 Watts, it was the same RPE as 300 Watts before the new bike.

Bike fitter saw what I came in with and told me to get off the bike after seeing me on it for about 5.3 seconds. It was off quite a bit. Fast forward a couple hours later when I have it back home and everything is back to normal. 270 Watts feels like 270 Watts. 300 Watts feels like 300 Watts. Etc.

TLDR: Even if you’re comfortable on your bike, you could be sacrificing many many many Watts if you don’t have a good bike fit.

5 Likes

I’ve always been happy with whatever goggles I see on clearance and use them until they die. Never really have a problem with leaks and I guess I’m not bothered by a higher pressure on the goggles to keep them secure. Is this a normal problem for people?

1 Like

You made me have a mini heart attack. I am only on week 3 of my plan, and I thought i might of got the dates wrong. Had to do a check (28 weeks away, still fine hahaha)

1 Like

Not sure what’s normal, but I have exactly one pair that doesn’t leak, which I save strictly for racing only. Everything else leaks at least occasionally when I push a flip off the wall. Tried many different goggles, even ordered the same goggle (sort of) again with no success (there a shockingly many different versions of a Zoggs predator). It’s particularly annoying because I wear contacts and once there is water in the goggle they can pop out easily.

3 Likes

Do you swim with “swimmer” goggles or “triathlete” goggles, in that is the goggle wide lensed for the “open water” experience or are they competition goggles meant for competition pool swimming? I have tried a bunch of the open water ones and I can’t fit them for the life of me; I assume its my beautiful “asian eyes” giving me the problem but regardless, I only use competition pool socket goggles now and they work much better. Plus they are way, way cheaper. I like the Vorgee goggles but I also have some good ol’ Speedo Vanquishers and while the Vorgee’s seem to fit better for my ugly face, the speedos work fine and are found everywhere and are pretty cheap. IMO the wide goggles are kinda almost all marketing IMO. Anyways my N=1 experience. Still have yet to try swedes in the pool but I assume I would like em but I kinda like the soft seals.

I settled on these last winter and haven’t looked back.

I’ll be at the Kinetic Half as well, though not participating – some friends are doing it and I’ll be supporting. The Kinetic events are great, though (I love the swim at Lake Anna) and I’m doing a few of their other events this summer and fall.

Thank you! Sounds like a solid plan.

This will be my first Kinetic event. Lake Anna looks beautiful and it’s drive-able and economical for me!

Just watched the graph … The last 15mins - i always have to dig in.
I did listen to an audio book though

I enjoyed a nice 400m swim afterwards to cool down :slight_smile:

1 Like