Those who squat - how far do you go?

For those struggling with ROM check your ankle mobility (lots on youtube) as this can have a big effect.
The rule of thumb I’ve seen coached and cued is a med ball, if you can squat down and tap it with your ass, as long are you’re not abnormally tall or short you should be getting adequate depth. NOTE: I didn’t say perfect i said adequate. It can be a useful cue if you are wondering exactly how deep you need to be going without bottoming out.

1 Like

It depends where the bar is on your back. Higher the bar the lower the squat

Ex Bodybuilding enthusiast here.

Get the range of motion right. Go right to the bottom.

Perform stretching exercises if you have to. Warm up properly (I start from the bar every time, then add +20kg till at half my current squat weight).

Also get a belt, your back will thank you.

Doing this I can squat 150KG, for reps 2-3 times a week and have never been injured training. And I go well past 90 degrees

1 Like

If squats hurt, or are too awkward, try single-leg work. The rear foot elevated split squat (RFESS) is a no joke movement. I wish I could still squat and deadlift, but my dumbass-at a very young age- was a bodybuilding enthusiast as well, and did a deadlift wrong. I’m lucky I can still ride a bike. I don’t suggest any older person load their spine up and move up and down. What’s older? 30s on up. My opinion, and take it for what it’s worth

Everyone in this thread thinks I have a problem squatting… I don’t. I’m weak compared to many and not very good at it, but every rep I do at the moment had always been to breaking parallel, and I lift to the best form I can.

I just wanted to know if that was “best” for strength with for a cyclist :slight_smile:

Sorry if you got that impression from my comments. I think appropriate depth is going to vary depending on squat style (low bar / high bar / front) and your personal anatomy. Greg Knuckols argues you should usually go as deep as you can, but also points out how much that changes depending on technique (he even suggests some technique tweaks to raise your bottom closer to “just past parallel” for competitive lifters).

In general, “half squats” will usually trigger less adaptation (even with more weight), and as long as it’s not a “half squat” then the appropriate depth is probably “what feels best.”

1 Like

I should have clarified that I only do bodyweight squats, mostly single leg squats so I go all the way down for full ROM. I learned several years ago that all that extra weight did not make me stronger, but it did hurt my joints. I feel much better now that I don’t lift heavy weight.

1 Like

@Mauroj due to my injury, I cannot squat anymore. I do BW squats myself. Want to feel like you can’t move for a few days? Try 20 sets of 25 BW squats :grimacing: Have you tried split squats with dumbbells?

Definitely tried them. Most of the time, I do single leg squats, on a plyo box or, if I’m feeling really frisky, pistol squats.

I think one benefit of lifting is doing things that AREN’T cycling specific. Going deep without having you lower lumbar back round over will make you a stronger off-the-bike athlete. IMO super important for all of us!

Good luck and lift safely!

Brendan

3 Likes