Tire Pressure Gauge

Any suggestions on tire pressure gauges? I don’t think my pump gauge seems to be accurate. Any gauges y’all recommend?

I like this Topeak digital gauge:

Ask yourself this though: Does it need to be accurate or just consistent?

Mike

7 Likes

I have this gauge and used it twice before giving up because it let air out when I was measuring just like most pumps. I recommend getting a pump you trust or calibrating your pump by knowing how far off it is.

3 Likes

I have topeak gauge and great for cx where pressures much lower and need to be accurate. For road, I wouldn’t worry. If using 90-110psi…then what’s a few either way!

1 Like

Cool! Consistently is what I want, I just need to know what the number my pumps gauge is really reading so I can go off of that you know.

In that case, see if can borrow one of a mate. Compare it to your track pump at few different pressures. Do same a few times over couple days to check consistent…If so - give gauge back and job done!

1 Like

This happens with mine as well. I intend to give it another try to at least try to ballpark the difference with my floor pump, and weight the difference as needed, then strive for consistency.

1 Like

All gauges need to let same air out of the tyre to measure the pressure. Are you saying that the air continues to leak when you have the gauge on the valve? That shouldn’t happen.

With these gauges it best to over-pump and then use the release button to get down to the pressure you want before quickly pulling the gauge off the valve.

Mike

2 Likes

Accu-Gage Presta. They are very consistant and don’t leak air.

ACCU-Gage

3 Likes

The Topeak Smartgauge D2 is both accurate and easy to use. Unless you are hamfisted that is.

2 Likes

I have this gauge as well and it is not accurate in my case. How do I know, two proven floor pumps that are within a few psi of each other. The SmartGauge is around 10 - 15 psi out believe it or not.

I have the Topeak Smartguage D2. Works well but maybe I’m hamfisted and I seem to lose some air too often. Too many buttons I think too. I don’t regularly use it. This SKS one looks promising. The pro teams I’ve seen seem to go between these two brands as well all as the schwalbe. Review: SKS Airchecker | road.cc

You can also retrofit a 2nd gauge to the pump using a T connection. Plenty online. 2 gauges are better than one haha :slight_smile:

As mentioned, with prestas the pressure from the pump must overcome tyre pressure, that is what pump gauge measures. To get a close tyre pressure reading, I pump with shorter strokes near target pressure, this way I don’t overshoot too much.

I guess you gave been unlucky with a less accurate specimen. As I was when I bought a Lezyne track pump. That gague always reads 5 psi to low.

1 Like

I had a leznye track pump for years. The gauge stopped working so i opted for a Topeak D2 mentioned above, to get accurate readings for my TT tyres. It is ridiculously crap.

Sometimes it just doesn’t record the pressure. Other times it lets out too much air when taking a reading.

Worst cycling product I’ve bought in years.

1 Like

If you have the $$$ to spare and desire accuracy then you can always go to Silca.com for one of their fancy schmancy pumps. If I could justify the purchase I would do it in a heartbeat. My parktool FP-3 or whichever model it is works fine, is consistent and has both valve types on one head so I can use it on the kids bikes and my own.
Both park tool and silca have replacement parts for their pumps so you may never need another one.

1 Like

Small and accurate-- AIRACE Bike LCD Digital Tire Pressure Gauge: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I3U3EQK/