To disc or not to disc

+1 for discs, the confidence they give you descending is next level.

Appreciate you might have settled on the Scott Foil but if the weight of a disc bike is your main concern there are lighter alternatives on the market. I’ve just picked up a Canyon Ultimate medium weighing 7.5kg with 105 & DT Swiss wheels, so there’s room to drop that weight further with Ultegra / lighter wheels.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t lose sleep over 750g, personally. It’s a little less Gucci and you’ll get laughed out of the WeightWeenies forum, but the aero benefits of the frame should make up for the weight on most courses.

2 Likes

Disc, you won’t regret it.

1 Like

I also picked up an Emonda last year but a rim brake version (w/ carbon wheels). Before I bought I really considered what kind of riding I was most likely going to be doing (dry, hills).

First big, fast decent I did I was sure I was going to die. White knuckle braking but with very little slowing!

Shoulda gone disc because now I’m having to reconfigure my brake/wheel set up. Also, I’ve decided to keep racing instead of just hobby/KOM riding which requires a different kind of braking.

Live & learn.

1 Like

This. My guess is that in 5 years, all higher end bikes will be disc.

Or less?

Why Rim Brakes Will Be Extinct In 2 Years | GCN Tech Show Ep. 45

2 Likes

THIS :point_up_2:

1 Like

It does when that control is available with more modulation and control.

1 Like

It also assumes the rim brakes can overwhelm the grip from the tyres. In dry conditions that’s fine, but we’ve all been down a wet descent applying more, and more, and more pressure with no corresponding reduction in speed. :grimacing:

1 Like

Disc brakes, without question.

1 Like

FWIW I’ve got ultegra hydro discs on my Genesis Datum. 14,000km and aside from changing pads (5/6 I think?) and rotors (once, recently) I’ve not had a single issue. I was nervous too but now completely sold on discs.

2 Likes

2 years it is. That guy from Vision knows a lot more about it than me.

1 Like

I’m not planning in go for disc any time soon, I’ve got 4 bikes at home sharing wheel set and a smart trainer, so for me disc is a no go.

I see you are in the UK like me. Have a look out of the window at the moment and I bet it’s raining where you are. Discs definitely!

1 Like