Totally New Desktop App! 🎉 🎉 🎉

I’m very excited to announce that we have an all new Windows and Mac app launching today!

Our existing desktop apps have grown a little long in the tooth. The technology platform they were built on is outdated, and it took us too long to develop new features relative to our mobile apps.

Because of that, we decided to bite the bullet and modernize our desktop apps over the last few months. The result is a much faster, more capable, and stable app!

Calendar Integration

When we launched our Calendar on the TrainerRoad website, we got a lot of feedback that users wanted all the Calendar functions in the apps.

We’ve now built in the ability to add/edit/delete workouts (swim, bike, run, other), rides, annotations, and training plans directly in the desktop app.

Note: The only thing we’re missing is the “grid” view of your Calendar. That’s about 80% of the way there, and we are using it in internal builds. It still has some bugs that we are smoothing out before we release it to everyone.

Training Plans

You can now add training plans and re-arrange the days; just like you can online.

Workout Variations

It’s also easier to find variations and schedule them on your Calendar. Just drill in, click schedule, and you’re off to the races!

Keyboard Shortcuts are Back!

We’ve had varying support for keyboard shortcuts in our desktop apps, but now they are back!

Up/Down arrows - Change intensity
M key - Switch trainer modes
Left/Right arrows while in Standard mode - Increase/Decrease resistance

You can also type in to change the intensity, or hold down the up/down or mouse button to change a lot at a time.

Workout Stats

You have the option to turn on workout stats while you’re working out. We’ve had this on the mobile app for a while, and it’s a big hit.

Multilingual!

Our app text supports the languages below. We’re working on getting workout descriptions, goals, and instructions translated.

Available Today:

• English
  • French
  • Italian
  • Spanish (Spain)
  • Spanish (Latin America)
  • Simplified Chinese
  • Japanese

Coming in the next few weeks:

• German
  • Portuguese (Portugal)
  • Portuguese (Brazil)
  • Traditional Chinese
  • Russian
  • Dutch
  • Korean

Better Duration Filters

We’ve also updated our duration filters to make it more intuitive. We’ve now got standard time buckets when trying to find the right workout. Before it was confusing with the ranges, we had.

If a workout falls outside of one of these buckets, it will be included into the closest time bucket. For example, a workout that is 1:01 long will be included in the 1:00 bucket.

And Lots More!

We’ve made around 100 other minor improvements that we think you’ll love when you use the app. It feels much faster, fluid, and modern.

Download the Beta

Although we’ve tested this app a lot, we still need more rides! If you’d like to download the beta, please go here:

Bug Reporting

We’re going to try a new bug reporting method. We’ll have a thread that’s dedicated only to Desktop Beta bugs. If you experience a bug, please report it in this thread:

We’ll keep the top post in that thread updated with known bugs, what we’re working on and what’s fixed.

We’ll also have dedicated support agents in that thread responding to everyone and keeping everyone updated.

Questions?

Ask them here and we’ll respond!

93 Likes

Thanks team :slight_smile: been waiting for this one for a while

3 Likes

Awesome update, and excellent news about the updated language support!

2 Likes

One question: Will the new language support be available for the mobile versions of TR in the near future as well? Or not currently in the pipeline?

1 Like

Does this mean Bluetooth on Windows relies on native BT support instead of custom support via the one dongle now?

3 Likes

@PeterDee It is something we have planned, but we’re tackling one piece at a time.

@matthew.weigel Not yet, but again something that is in the pipeline.

2 Likes

Happy to be a guinea pig on this. Thanks for the work you put in guys.

2 Likes

Great work on the new update, looks great and easy to navigate :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Woah! It’s dead sexy.

2 Likes

Thnx team!!! im happy !! Russian lang yahooo!!

4 Likes

What are the system requirements for the new Mac app? I’m using an old (late 2008 aluminum) MacBook with El Capitan for TrainerRoad. Will it still work?

Will the percentage of plan fulfillment be in a new application?

What about push workout to wahoo head units. My god I will be able to sell TrainerRoad to more of my mates if we can do that soon. :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks Nate. Downloading Beta now!

1 Like

Thanks very much all at TR. Looks greats Switching back to Beta. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is splendid. Thank you can’t wait to give this a whirl! Bring back the old PRs and I’d be the happiest customer in Trainerroad history.

2 Likes

Awesome improved experience on windows pc :white_check_mark:. Couple of erg mode drop outs but much better than before. Only other comments are stats and interval text is a bit small for my workout blindness :eyes::joy:
Great work TR

1 Like

Noice. Will give the Mac version a spin this weekend.

Awesome! Can’t wait to try it on my Mac.

One clarification question, what did this line mean? Type in what exactly?

If you need help translating into Swedish then let me know. :slight_smile: