TR 2020 Running Thread

I do very similar – shoes in a range of drops and styles:

• 10mm Mizuno Wave (recovery)
  • 8mm Adidas Ultraboost (easy/tempo)
  • 5mm Hoka Challenger ATR (trail)
  • 5mm New Balance 1500 (speedwork/races)

I thought I had read somewhere that it stops your body adapting to one particular style and ‘deficincies’ it may mask. Probably mumbo-jumbo, but I can say for certain you won’t find me running cross country in those New Balance shoes: they’re white :open_mouth:

I think people also have a tendancy to round to nearest miles/kms for increasing, espeically in the formative months of building up a run. Jumping from 4 to 5 miles in a single run doesn’t sound much but is a 25% jump., 20% when going from 5 to 6 etc. The discipline to do 10% is often easier if you focus on time spent running rather than distance.

Not massively running but then when I did triathlon I was running through the field at the end as not many vet age groupers are running sub 37min 10k off the bike and it is incredibly motivating picking up places (once got off the bike 37th in a race and finished 9th!) but I did have it in my only Ironman tri many years ago when I was in the water so long I was convinced I’d taken a wrong turn and was swimming in a completely different stretch of water to the rest of the field ….70mins in the water is a long time :grin:

1 Like

You can always ask the front desk, they might have a clue. They might have set it to 60 to keep people from doing a group of power walking and group chat, I’ve seen it many times… My gym has a weird 97 min, I think it’s the limitation of the treadmill. Luckily, most people walk for 10 minutes and leave.

1 Like

I’d heard about that sort of thing, so when I did my first long treadmill I started getting stressed as I got closer to 60 mins…but nothing happened. Then, I noticed the number counted up to 99…would it shut down at 99:99? No, the font just got smaller and the number kept getting bigger :slight_smile:

They have techno gym treadmills in our gym. I want to use the wood way curve or similar techno gym skills thing, but they have nowhere to put all my paraphernalia; iPad, iPhone, gels, water, keys :sweat_smile:

No, but a significant amount. I’m doing an unusual but popular pace-based program. If it’s not on pace, it’s no good. So treadmills are pretty handy. I do most of my long runs outside, but again, it’s very hard to maintain target pace as it’s not easy running like any other program.

My question to @jdman was not about my running today, but the running I’ve been doing for six or so years now. I’ve done every kind of running terrain, type, distance, interval, virtual, I think in existence - motivation ebbs and flows like the weather, it seems.

Personally I enjoy the treadmill during the week but I run around 245 am for three to five miles. Weights before or after. Some times before as kind of warmup, plus two minutes on the treadmill for warmup. Put some music on and zone for 24 to 40 minutes. Weekends I try to do longer runs outside when it’s nice, not much for cold and rain which is Oregon in a nutshell. After the weights and run, I have an empty class room to stretch and do some yoga. Side note, I use Stryd for power, so I can pretty much use the speed of the treadmill to choose what zone to run in (I’ve run enough with stryd to see what levels produce what power), really handy. Outside, I just let how I feel that day determine my pace.

1 Like

Roikyou,

I’d like to know how a treadmill can be enjoyed? Since you like it, you must have discovered something I don’t know about… Any insights is welcome because I avoid them as the plague but cannot eliminate them completely. I’m not a fan of watching TV and I cannot read on a treadmill given the bouncing.

I’m in Oregon too (in Bend so on drier side) and I’d rather run outside in the rain, snow, icy roads than on treadmill. To me weather is just a gear problem. I can also swap the timing of a run and do a TR workout instead and run earlier / later.
A " dreadmill" is my last resort but hey if I’m in a business trip in a very polluted city in Asia or it’s -18C in Montreal with 20cm deep of slush everywhere, … then I’ll use one. Also my Stryd addresses the random calibration of these threadmill and shows me watts so that’s much better ; I cannot rely on the machine’s displayed pace (it’s off by 10-20%) nor on RPE while running indoor.

1 Like

It’s hard to describe my craziness. Never liked TV in a gym or when I work out, it’s a distraction to why you are there. I’m not a sports person, so no loss of whatever is on the TV. I’ve done this for 20 plus years. Recent issues with shoulder put me back off the bike again, so I’m back full blown on the treadmill. I’m nearsighted, so on the treadmill, I take off my glasses. Funny, on the weekend distance runs, I see people literally come and go if I do long runs, some people pull in, walk into the building and walk right out. Can’t make out anything in the distance (I can kind of see people but no detail), I can see in my peripheral next to me but I just zone. Sometimes things throughout the day float through my mind. Now on the treadmill, I revert to all my metal music when I run. I don’t listen to music outside, I don’t trust people or the environment. So I can put on some Gojira, Meshuggah, Lamb of God and just go. Funny, the slower people are around me if there is anyone around me, the faster I go. During the week, I have 20 plus treadmills to myself. Trying to think if I can recite this properly, I remember hearing something along the lines of learning patience, to sit perfectly still and leave everything around you alone, for “x” amount of time. We’ll, I consider this kind of the same, in a way. To be able to patiently, keep a pace for “x” amount of time with crazy metal music is honestly, calming. I treat the bike in the garage the same way, except that can be an hour to two hours. Plus, I have weights, yoga and a place to stretch in a warm environment right there.

1 Like

Got a question, how many people run with Stryd? And where I’m going, do you ignore pretty much training with heart rate and work with power zones? And what zones do you primarily train in? I’m asking because I’m catching myself working all my runs at zone 3/threshold. I did a run yesterday at zone 3/moderate, felt slow but good considering I did hour and fifteen minutes before the run of hot yoga, so slow and steady felt good. But it’s hard to really slow myself down to zone 2. If you run zone 2 and zone 3, what would you say your percentages are for these runs? How much time do you put into zone 1?

1 Like

I use stryd but I dont run to power quite yet. I look at the data afterwards and find it interesting, but for now I got the stryd for the very accurate pacing indoors and outdoors. Just using my GPS watch it took forever for the pace to catch up when I sped up/slowed down, but with stryd is pretty much instant.

1 Like

I did find they’re training plans.

I’ll have a lot of changes to the way I do things. Most of these plans work in the zone 1 and zone 2. I have a bad habit of running at almost 100% cp at the top of zone 3.

I use the treadmill to set a pace (usually an easy/recovery pace) and then just go into my mind for the next 30-60min. I don’t try to watch TV or do anything else, instead I let the machine worry about pacing and I just focus on myself. It’s almost meditative and thus I actually look forward to treadmill sessions.

3 Likes

https://giphy.com/gifs/kPMwTWvKadCG4/html5

6 Likes

I used to despise the treadmill. Now I’m doing 1-2 shorter sessions a week on it for convenience since it’s set up next to my trainer in the garage. TV, Roku, movie whatever I want. Can knock out a short 20-30 minutes tempo workout no problem, go straight into cool down, goes by fast. It used to be that every minute on a treadmill felt like ten, but I’ve become so accustomed to my entertainment on the trainer that I watch that on the treadmill and the workouts go by fast.

I’ve only done one longer treadmill run (1 hour) in the past year, which wasn’t too bad, but I still prefer runs of that length or longer outdoors. Outdoors does give me a better workout, but as I age and am not doing events anymore, I care less and less about maximizing gains from the running sessions.

what you describe is how I feel running outside. Outside I may get bored after 2 or 2 1/2 hours or I simply get tired. DOIng it on a treadmill feels twice as long so it’s ok until about 60 min. Beyond that is quite taxing on the mind.

1 Like

Thinking of doing a 2-3 month run focussed block (and just keep bike ticking over with 2 TR rides a week) as this is the area I need to improve to meet my duathlon goals (bike is about where I need it).

Focus is on 5km and 10km races and usually run 3 times a week (could up to 4 if reducing bike). Any recommendations for training plans - looking at getting Jack Daniels book - any good?

Current 10k PB is 40:39 and 5km - 19:30 both set in last month or so. Want to get 5km down to about 18:30 and 10k to about 39

RunLess Run Faster is good for multi sport athletes, and designed for 3 runs per week.

1 Like

Heard mixed things about that - some v positive and some far less so - saying doesn’t build much long term progress.

In 2017-2018, I ran with a Stryd. I was focused on ultramarathons and training exclusively on the trails. I found it useful because it provided decent info during the run and good post-run analysis. Also, the community comparisons chart was interesting. That said, I had problems with it. I wore it in ultras and either the duration killed it or it was tiny streams (run-off crossing the ledge) or the cold (below 0 C). Stryd support was great and, well, supportive, but its inability to handle the off-season and in-event conditions limited its utility to me. They’ve updated the unit since then (the permeability of the membrane to water was a known issue) but I haven’t used my two units (a replacement that replaced a formerly dead unit that came back to life after a month or so) for well over a year. And, of course, your mileage will, not may, vary.

Overall, I think it has potential with particular value on not-flat courses in not-cold, dry conditions. In my case, it just failed too often.

1 Like