TR 2020 Running Thread

A lot of it is in your head. I think at normal pace the wind drag is almost negligible, but it surely contributes to RPE. It helps me to remind myself of this fact during a run or race.

Effect of rain can go either way. On a hot day it obviously is a welcome cooling effect. But since your in the UK it’ll probably be cold rain, which can be terrible - or push you to go hard af just to keep warm. Make sure to keep hands and arms warm, I sometimes loose feel in my upper extremities because they’re exposed to rain and wind and receive relatively little blood during a run.

A final word of my motivation my track coach in high school used to give us on rainy days: How far do you think you’ll come in life if you let a few liters of water hold you back? :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about running my first half marathon this year in May.
I’m also already registered for a 10k in May.

I’ve run in two 10k events in the last two years, but running has never been that big of a focus. And as my name suggests, I’m a Clydesdale at 6’8" and 245 lbs (203cm, 111 Kg)
My fastest 10k time so far is 1:03:46.5
My goal is to be under one hour this year.
I think the sub-one hour mark is achievable, so my stretch goal is a 55 minute 10k.

On the topic of the half marathon, I’m not sure what to set as my goal.
Right now I’d say a pace goal of 6:30/km, but that might change over time with training and preparation.
For now, I’d say the bigger goal is to be patient and not rush myself. Build up volume and speed over time and stay healthy.

How long between each race?

I would tend to train with the longer race in mind and merely hope for the benefits to show in the shorter.

1 Like

The half marathon is first. The 10k is 7 days later.
So it’s not ideal, but it’s not the worst.

The 10k is traditionally just a fun thing to sign up for with some extended family.
We all start together and everyone runs their own race.
So while I have time-based goals, I’d be ok with setting those aside for the half marathon.

1 Like

@canadian_clydesdale For someone doing a 60 min 10k then I’d say about a 2 hr 15 half (maybe 2 hr 10)

1 Like

Three weeks into the first build phase for a marathon in April and subbed a long run for an open 15k… I completed two hard workouts that week, one being hill repeats the day before, so was not expecting much.

Finished at 56:59 which isn’t bad but not as good as I’m know I’m capable of… All things considered I’m still happy with the finish time but even more eager to see how well I could do if with a few more weeks of dedicated run training and some good rest leading up to race day.

1 Like

Nice work! Sounds like you are well ahead if you were able to hit that right in the thick of a training block!

1 Like

It wasn’t wise to race outdoors today so I went to the treadmill. No I don’t think Incouldnhave got this time in the storm and on the hilly course I was registered for, but still it felt good to set a PB for the half distance by seven minutes.

And a fair indication that the training for sub 4 marathon is in course. :hugs:

5 Likes

Solid treadmill workout :muscle::facepunch:

1 Like

Increasing the gradient for all treadmill runs to 1 or 1.5% is a good idea as it kind of simulates the lack of air resistance for not moving. Also more importantly if you have a flat moving belt under you then it can strain the tibialis anterior muscle as you slap your foot down and you could get shin splints. Don’t increase it by more than this though as it can over extend your achilles and cause tendonitis. Treadmills were a good place to do intervals though I found when I ran as you can keep the pace constant and focus on the pain…bit like TR turbo training :grin:

The science I’ve read is that this general 1% advice is only applicable at or below 4:00/km, hence I don’t bother.:slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve always gone with 1% on the rare occasions that I run on a treadmill, although to be honest nothing feels natural about running on one.

I did have a bit of a laugh when a coach on twitter was suggesting that the 10% rule is often too slow for people. Even if it is, you can double your miles every 4 months if you only increase 2 out of every 4 weeks. That would take a 20 mpw runner to a 80 mpw runner in 1 year.

Does this sound too slow? I think not

2 Likes

PSA…

Change your shoes more frequently than you probably think they need to be changed… I was thinking 400 miles wasn’t too bad on my older pair of shoes, and then I do my first run on a new pair and I’m instantly almost 10s/mile faster and recovered from my long run in about an hour.

1 Like

You may be correct I used to run 2:47 for the marathon and sub 17min 5K so it mattered to me…I thought it applied to everyone but I suppose I didn’t do any running outside 7:30/miles which is about 4:30/km pace so I never tested it ……I’ll take your word for it

1 Like

Nice running :+1:. I’d be happy to break 4h!

Something occurred to me today, not for the first time, I just want to quit. Never a problem swimming, I can only recall it happening once or twice on the bike…but practically in every run I do.

You ever had that problem?

1 Like

summers in Dallas would sometimes have this effect on me… heat was draining me physically, mentally and motivationally.

if it’s this frequent, try to change something:

• run different places or time
  • explore a new route
  • do trail running - nature is great
  • join a running club (i did join one 2 weeks back, run with them once a week and i like it . All of my runs prior were solo)

I ran on threadmill today too and was surprised when the settings didn’t allow more than 60min.

1 Like

Oh yea. I’d also add to have different shoes in rotation. It is a bit more costly at first, but having 3-4 pair in rotation spreads the wear. Even if some pairs get closer to 400mi you don’t run in them all the time.

I like. buying shoes, so I took this as an excuse anyway, but I’m doing much better now. I have everything in rotation from max cushioning Hoka‘s to classic flats like the adios. It’s also an additional way Toningenieure variety to your runs, which helps with boredom / motivation.

1 Like

Are you doing all of your running on the treadmill? That might break you!

If you’re not looking forward to running, it could very well be that you are not running easy enough and/or too often pushing yourself to hit a certain pace which is making it a chore. Easy is relative and everyone is different. In my case, I could be in 85min half marathon shape or completely out of shape, but either way my easy runs are never faster than 5min/km and typically around 5:30/km. If I see I’m going faster, I will force myself to slow down. Interval and tempo pace are the only thing that change w/my fitness.

As for heat, that slows everyone down. It also requires more on the recovery side.

As @asteryx mentioned, perhaps try a different route, different place, run w/other people, and/or maybe try some music.

2 Likes