TR Workout Warm Up Period-Why So Short?

This is really a question for one of the coaches but, perhaps another coach or someone who has studied Kinesiology/Physiology could chime in…

Many workouts have 2 minutes at 50% FTP followed by 2 minutes at 70% then 2 minutes at something close to threshold. Then a couple jumps and a few minutes at 40% for a total of about 10 minutes.

To me, this feels too hard too quick, but maybe it’s mental or most likely my age which is 50. Specifically the first 6 minutes. Physiologically, is there an optimal warm up for the majority of cyclist?

I think they are aiming for 60, 75, 90 minute workouts and that makes many of them with too short warmup/cooldown periods. But also it works better for planing these workouts and putting them into the plan. Imagine, if you want to do a morning workout expecting it to be 1h hour but it turns out to be 1h 9m and you somehow miss your morning bus :slight_smile:

You are always welcome to extend warmup/cooldown and there is this new feature which allows doing this on the fly.

3 Likes

Im 51 and not crazy about their warm ups either…I made my own 10 min warm up that I do before every workout. On the opposite side Im not crazy about hour long workouts that you get a 2 minute cool down…then other 2 hour endurance workouts give you a 10 minute cool down.

2 Likes

You can now extend warmup and cooldown on TR workouts. Currently only on Android I think, but coming to all devices soon. It’s a great feature. Some workouts have to cram a lot into a short time, so being able to tailor them yourself is excellent.

3 Likes

I’m 65, soon 66, and these short warm-ups worried me at first, before I actually did the passes. When I am out with a group, I need significantly more warm-up than the 40-year-olds. Once I started doing the workouts, I was pleasantly surprized to find that the TR warm-ups worked out just fine.

I do prefer a longer cool-down occasionally. I just keep pedalling even though the workout is over. Sometimes I think the cooldowns are way too long … I just want off that $€I# bike, but I do them anyway.

3 Likes

also on iOS

1 Like

I use the pc version…Im anxiously waiting for them to roll out the new version to pc.

1 Like

Ok I need to figure this out. I use a macbook pro…

1 Like

I used it yesterday on beta version of PC application, go get it.

I have never experienced any serious issues with TrainerRoad Beta apps, they are quite stable.

1 Like

Ok thanks. I need to figure this out. New to TR. I use a macbook pro to follow the workouts…

1 Like

Not sure if the Macbook pro application has it . The app for the iPhone/Ipad has it for sure

2 Likes

The beta has it, you can download it here Join the TrainerRoad Beta Program to Get the Newest Features - TrainerRoad

2 Likes

At 47 i need a couple of minutes of ticking the legs over at 100w before i start the warm up at 150-160w. i go into the spindown mode and noodle along for a bit just to give me a gentle start.

10 minutes is how long it takes a SMART TRAINER to warm up. The average athlete almost certainly takes longer.

2 Likes

Depends on which trainer you use. A Neo doesn’t need to be warmed up for example.

2 Likes

I ride Zwift and TR at the same time. I start the ride in Zwift on my PC and start the iPad TR app around the 10 minute mark. Mostly because I also need the extra warm-up and cool-down, but also for the Strava mileage and elevation stats to be included for my yearly numbers :slight_smile:

1 Like

A short warmup is not for everybody but is just fine with me, makes workouts efficient and as short as possible while getting the work done.

2 Likes

Yep I think that’s the deal. I’m outside the Bell Curve so-to-speak. These workouts need to be efficient and that they are.

2 Likes

I prioritise finding extra time to add time to my warm up, I normally only need an extra 5-10mins, but my workouts are a lot better for it. Will sometimes use zwift for my warm up and just ride around. For cooldowns I might add a couple mins depending on the workout, more likely on vo2max type workouts.

1 Like

I would like to add the extra time to the warmup before I start. I am working out on rollers and I have to get off the bike to hit the +5/+10 which I find a bit annoying but it is better than not having the extended WU.

1 Like