TrainerRoad and FirstBeat metrics on Garmin

Hello magnificent forum,

I recently purchased a Garmin FR 935, and it comes with a whole slew of FirstBeat metrics (recovery status and such). I never used these kinds of metrics on my old Polar V800, but I thought that I want to give it a go. But how do I best synchronize this with TR? On my workout yesterday I had my PM connected both to TR and the watch, but then I ended up with two activities in Garmin connect, as TR apparently syncs both ways. Any workaround out there? Other than manually deleting one of the workouts in connect each time.

(BTW, @nate, if you prioritize auto sync of swim and run into the calendar, this would solve my problem in the best way possible, as I wouldn’t need to ever look at connect then :wink:)

Are the metrics actually useful??

Also they don’t appear to be reliant on previous data from what I’ve seen with my edge 820.

It does a ‘performance condition’ calculation based on my first few minutes of riding (usually within the first 2km) and gives me a recovery time afterwards. Neither number has a tendency to be especially useful to me.

I don’t know.

They certainly were not useful on my V800. But I figured that there might be some more validity to these, as they seem to be developed by a company who focus only on that. So I just want to give it a try.

Usually they telle stupid things like 50+ hours to recover :smiley: (our group rides are so hard!!)

I found those metrics to be somewhat useful while only using my FR935 as a running watch. After getting used to my usual training, the recovery time and training load estimates on the watch seemed to track fairly close to my perception (and also to TP ATL&TSB, so no additional value there).

Since adding cycling and especially TR workouts to the mix, I stopped using them and have kept those fields hidden on my watch. In addition to the question of value provided by those metrics, there seems to be no way to get TR workouts to the watch from garmin connect (GC and Garmin TrueUp are not designed to work that way).

I’ve wear a Fenix all day and record my exercise either on there or my rides usually on a 520+, until Garmin can successfully integrate information from various sources and platforms I don’t think their metrics will be all that useful.

I don’t understand the performance condition thing where I’ve got to go ride my bike for it to tell me anything.

Even on a basic level the devices don’t recognize stuff I’ve done elsewhere. My watch thinks I’m a couch potato right now because I’ve mostly been using the 520+ or TR lately. Even on my phone in the Garmin app on my daily dashboad it will display ridiculous things, right now let’s see it says both that I’ve ridden a little over 100 miles the last few days, but that my calorie expenditure is my BMR because it isn’t capable of adding in those rides for some reason, even though the information is there and I can see it on the app.

Do some form of multiple workouts in a day with a Garmin(s) devices, I’m not sure exactly what the software tries to do, maybe it is only capable of viewing the one workout but it produces stuff that doesn’t make sense.

I like both my devices in general but they’ve got some work to do on integration between their devices, their apps and if they want them to truly be useful they need to truly interact with other platforms like TR, TP, Strava, etc

It sounds like there’s a market for a fitness app company to aggregate all the data from watches, head units, phones, training apps, etc. and put together a holistic view which includes not only workouts, but non-workout metrics like nutrition, sleep, steps, weight training, daily stress, etc. If one already exists, please let me know. :slight_smile:

Thanks all,

Seems like there is no workaround other than recording activities on multiple devices and then manually cleaning up in GC. Oh well. I might try this for a few weeks, just because it’s fun. But I don’t expect any real insights into my training that I can’t get elsewhere.

I do sometimes record on both Garmin and on tablet and then clean up afterwards.

I agree that the FirstBeat metrics aren’t super useful at this point. However I do like seeing the interpretation after a workout regarding aerobic and anaerobic efforts. Does it change anything… not really.

Does anyone know who the “performance condition” rating that pops up at the beginning of a workout is calculated? Is it using heart rate elevation as it relates to the exertion?

At the end of the day its info, not unlike the “fitness and fatigue” ratings in Strava. Not always super useful.