Trainerroad visit to Australia

Always found “block” to be the most awful to be in. At the start, all your main competitors are already gone, and you can hear kids in “scratch” giggling behind. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

count me in.

What’s block and scratch? I’m confused on that part.

It’s the fastest group? Or are some groups block and some scratch?

I’m excited to try it out! It sounds like fun!

1 Like

“Scratch” is the fastest group and starts last.
“Block” is the one that starts just before that.

1 Like

Sorry for going offtopic again, @Nate_Pearson but this is sort of thing, we’re dealing with at the moment.

2019’s bush-fire season compared to Australia’s worst bush-fires:

Ash Wednesday in 1983 destroyed 4.3 million acres (1.7 million hectares) and resulted in 75 fatalities.

Black Saturday in 2009 destroyed 1.1 million acres (0.5 million hectares) and resulted in 180 fatalities.

The 2019 fires has destroyed over 7.5 million acres (3 million hectares) and resulted in 6 fatalities (so far… it’s not even over yet).

To compare, the 2019 fires has so far burned through almost 2 x Ash Wednesdays, or nearly 7 x Black Saturdays. And it’s still not over.

The 2019 fires have burnt through the equivalent of almost 42 Singapores, nearly 3 Lebanons, or just over half of Croatia.

Oh no! That’s horrible!

Come to Melbourne Nate.

We have no fires (at the minute).

It will be 43 degrees (celcius) tomorrow though, with furnace-like winds.

'Straya.

We had 43C at my place on Monday, dont recommend it without AC, good luck Melb :slight_smile:

It’s unlikely that a state handicap where “block” and “scratch” get used in context will be:

a) on; and
b) accessible

while you’re in Australia. I hope it is though!

1 Like

What’s on and accessible mean? :smiley: All these crazy words! :smiley:

Just adding to @SomeCallMeTim - essentially from fastest to slowest would be:
Scratch → Block → Group 1 → Group 2 → Group 3 → Group 4 and so on…

Some handicaps just use Groups or Grades as their terminology, but the race rules are usually the same ie:
Group 1 → Group 2 → Group 3 or
A Grade → B Grade → C Grade

Essentially its a good old fashioned case of catch me if you can…Small groups of 10-20 riders are released at regular intervals. After the first bunch goes the next one is expected to be a little bit faster, and the next one faster again, and so forth.

Don’t forget ‘limit’! Just to add more confusion. They’re the first starters.

You might find this old CT article useful: Australian Handicap Racing - CyclingTips

Most handicaps are state open’s, essentially the next level up from club racing. Our season for those races is over winter (at least in NSW) so there’s not too many happening in March.

Have put myself down to join the bunchie. See you then!

Sorry. There is usually only about one a month, and during winter. So you’ll probably miss out. Also, most of them are more than 3 hours out of Sydney and start early, so it’s unlikely to fit with your schedule.

I found a teammate for you for Heffron, he’s on TR as BadCyclist

2 Likes

Someone will need to keep Wardy and AlexNaz at bay… :wink:

meme

1 Like

You should definitely look at doing Lansdowne Crit. It’s Masters racing and you should definitely be racing A1.

It’s in a closed park, lots of twists and turns, a fast down hill with sweeping turns followed but a small pinch. Lots of bush so its prime for a break away (out of sight, out of mind)

WMCC - Lansdowne Criterium - YouTube - video of the course

EDIT: Here is the race calendar and what do you know, 8th March is at Lansdowne! Club Racing Calendar – Waratah Masters Cycling Club

Happy to throw some cameras on the bike to make for some sick video

1 Like

Oooo, nice! I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

I’ve locked in flying up to NSW for the weekend. Keen to race or ride. Or both. I’ll even shout you a good beer @Nate_Pearson

1 Like

Can we do all three? :bike: :beers:

2 Likes