Training for a 112 mile bike race

I completed my first 20mph metric century this year, and am building up for a sub-5 hour 100 miler in 2019. The Century plan looks good, but I’m more likely to go with 40k TT for the extra helpings of threshold work:
40%20AM

1 Like

That’s a SUPER cool chart. Where do you see that?

Here’s a quick side by side of some Mid-Vol plans:

Century / 40k TT / Climbing RR

Plenty of work to be had in all, and it’s really minor differences in focus.

1 Like

Mac app.

1 Like

Nice. I have to see if I can find that in mobile or PC.

Got to Plans in the app, select one, then use I button in the top left.

1 Like

Yeah, I found it in my PC app now. I just use the web most times, as it seems to have better control most of the time.

This is another interesting point where we see the differences (pros/cons) between the platforms. Would be nice if these details had parity on all of them.

How’d you find that plays inside and out?

I estimate was doing around 600TSS per week for 32 weeks in 2016 easy riding outside only, but on the TR plans I can burn out on 300-400 in a relatively short time.

Virtually all indoors on TR. Aside from racing and the odd recovery ride or race week rides at the venue all my riding was indoors this year.

My TSS chart for this year - the average line is around 560. Up to the 2018 Build was a SS Base Mid/High Volume Mash up. I got a running injury after that but could still ride so the 2018 build was Sustained Power Build High Volume with extra rides on the day off and occasionally stacking endurance rides after the main ride of the day as well. I rode every day for about 7 weeks, all indoors aside from a TT or two. I got quite bike fit after that :grin:

These are 4 weeks training earlier this year in that period. I would preface that by saying that I’ve build up to that over a number of years and have certainly bitten off more that I can chew at times but I’ve got to the point where that level of TSS can be sustainable for me.

After that my TSS and CTL gradually dropped as I started running again and I raced more during the TT season which tends to accrue far less TSS than consistent training (there’s a lesson there!) and ramping up again towards IM Maryland when for the first time I pretty much followed the rides from the Long Distance Tri Plan - the first time I’ve not used one of the cycling plans as a base to work from.

Been ‘relaxing’ back on Traditional Base for the last few weeks in the off season…

3 Likes

Anyway back to the OP…

There’s no need to do consecutive 700 TSS weeks but I would look for a plan, certainly when it comes to the Speciality phase, that includes long intervals of 20-30 mins over 2-3 hours at or around 80-85% FTP as in a standalone long distance TT that’s where you’ll be spending a lot of time. Supplement those with some longer endurance rides either indoors or outdoors - especially as you’re local and can spend some time on the course as the weather gets better next year - and you’ll perform well.

There are lots of ways you can make it work - pick one which floats your boat and can stick to and enjoy the process.

1 Like

That’s great info. Thanks very much. I’m going to look at these plans in more detail.

One last question! I like having all my stuff on Training Peaks, is there anyway to get the Trainer Road workouts on there BEFORE they are completed?

No, unless you are a premium member and create your own library of workouts. I provided an example here:

OK. Might just look at Trainer Road then.

Thank you

Revisiting old thread. Curious to see if you did the 40k TT or if you did the century plan. Also how you felt your results were.
I would like to focus on some big TT hill climbs next year and I think the century the plan is the way to go from what I’ve read.