Training for Gravity Enduro racing - standing for intervals?

TLDR version: Should I stand for shorter intervals if targeting Gravity Enduro racing?

Wordy version:

After the cancellation of my A event, I’ve had a complete rethink of my focus for 2019. I had been targeting some long distance road events, but instead I’ve decided to race a full round of the local Gravity Enduro series. I’ve just finished SSB, so fortunately it’s still early enough to change my training plan for something more suitable. I’ve ditched Sustained Power Build and Climbing Road Race in favour of Short Power Build, followed by the Gravity speciality plan.

While rescheduling my calendar for the year, I got to thinking about specificity of training. The races I’ve entered are quite varied. The first couple of rounds are very technical and more about bike handling and carrying speed than anything, but the later rounds have some long 6-7 minute stages with very pedally sections. Some of these sections will be non-technical and I’ll be able to put the dropper up, sit down and spin the pedals, but many of them will be out of the saddle efforts. As such, should I be doing shorter intervals, like VO2 max intervals, out of the saddle in order to see the most specific gains?

I’ve got an old road bike on the trainer at the moment. I could potentially swap this for my hardtail, which has the same bar width as the bike I’ll be racing on, but am reluctant to do so as I like to just leave the bike on the trainer. As such, my standing position will be different (would still be different on the hardtail, but less so) but at least I’d be targeting the muscle groups that will used more.

Or, does it not matter too much. I won’t be sprinting on the trainer in the same way as when racing anyway (i.e. far less upper body movement), so would I see equal benefits from just focussing on the aerobic/anaerobic target gains when on the trainer and leaving the out of saddle efforts for outside?

1 Like

Short reply (will try to do more later), but…

“Train like you plan to race”

A common motto that really means to consider and apply the efforts and approach you need for your events.

Additionally, if you plan to sprint and do hard standing efforts, proper technique and form are required to not damage the bike. Consider a rocker plate ss well. We speculate that they reduce stress on trainers when standing and sprinting.

1 Like