Training Plan for Newbie

I am new to Trainer Road and new to structure training I have some training Plan question.

1). Am I suppose to be most “READY” for an events right after following the Base, Build and Specialty plan?

1. I am in Week 5 of Base Sweet Spot 1, do I start Base Sweet Spot 2 the following week immediately?

2. I am aiming for a 100km events next year in June. I am planning my training for the events.

I started with Sweet Spot Base 1 and will continue with Sweet Spot Base 2 then one week rest to Sustain Build. That will lead me to December with Three week rest, then Sweet Spot Base 1 and 2, follow with one week rest. Finally Century Specialty then 1 week rest to my Events. Does it sound right??? Please rate my plan.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey mate i’ll chip and and see what I can do as best I can.
1). Am I suppose to be most “READY” for an events right after following the Base, Build and Specialty plan? Yes thats right this will lead you to peak “FORM” for your chosen A event.
I am in Week 5 of Base Sweet Spot 1, do I start Base Sweet Spot 2 the following week immediately? Yes you do simply follow on after each section of Base, Build and speciality. You will notice at the end of each phase there is a scheduled “recovery” week. This is planned as exactly what you need to rest, repair and reset for the next block of training.
I am aiming for a 100km events next year in June. I am planning my training for the events.

I started with Sweet Spot Base 1 and will continue with Sweet Spot Base 2 then one week rest to Sustain Build. That will lead me to December with Three week rest, then Sweet Spot Base 1 and 2, follow with one week rest. Finally Century Specialty then 1 week rest to my Events. Does it sound right??? Please rate my plan.

OK A few questions why the 3-week rest in December? In an ideal scenario, you would go like this.
SSB1, SSB2, Sustained Build, Century Speciality Event. You may extend SSB 2 OR build by a few weeks if you have to time up your sleeve. The idea is that there should be minimal breaks between ea that they flow from one to another. Now life isn’t perfect and stuff happens but that’s the plan.

For what you have I would try to minimise the break in December and try to do the following
SSB 1, SSb2, Sustain Build, SSB 2 ( a few weeks), Rolling RR build and then Century Speciality to finish with.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Build your calendar backwards from your A event in June 2020. So load the specialty plan to finish the week of your 100 K. You can do this on the calendar by picking your end date of the plan. Then load in your build plan to finish leading into specialty. Then load sweet spot base 2 to finish before the build, and lastly load sweet spot base 1. None of these plans need any weeks off between, you just roll into the next plan in a base, build, specialty format for 28 weeks straight.

Before you start these 28 weeks I would throw in 2 to 4 weeks of unstructured training and just enjoying the bike or cross training. This allows your body and mind a downturn before you ramp it up towards your A event. It would be quite taxing and mentally exhausting to push towards an event that is 10 months away and possibly lead you to burn out by the end of it all. Even more so since this is your first go at structured training/TR. Between now and the 30-32 or so weeks before your A event I would see how much time you have left and do a base or build plan that interest you depending on your current fitness level.

1 Like

I heard Chad from the Pod Cast that it is the rest that build you up and not the training, so I figure what the best time to take a break; Christmas.

Maybe I should minimize the break and throw in a workout here or there.

1 Like

On a planning that long (25+ weeks), I usually add in a few weeks of buffer for sickness, minor injuries and the things in life that get into the way of our plans. Best case, you don’t need them, and do a repeat week once in a while to eat them up; worst case, you need more, and use them plus cut into some of the plan(s). This is one example of experience coming into planning; the more you know yourself, the more you know how much buffer you may need.

2 Likes

That make a lot of sense. Thanks