Last year I decided to take triathlon more seriously in preparation for my first half ironman. Part of doing that was buying an entry level ($850 10.3 kg) road bike. I added some aero bars and got it fitted for a more aero position, but feel like upgrading to a proper aero road bike or TT bike would help me move up the field.
- I’m a middle of the pack age grouper
- I’m working on upgrading the engine and this new bike will be my reward for hitting a W/KG goal
- My budget is in the $5K range
- I will be doing at least one HIM distance triathlon in 2019 with some shorter courses as warm ups
- I live in a hilly area and would like to do group rides in the off season
- I only have space for one bike (<— that’s the biggie)
I am leaning toward an aero road bike so that I am comfortable on it for training and riding around, adding clip on aero bars when in triathlon season. I had been convinced that I would get the Canyon aeroad, but haven’t found very many reviews of using it for triathlon. I would like to get a Canyon since they seem to have the best components for the money and the bikes look the best to me.
So my two questions are:
- Would you go with an aero road bike or TT bike if you could only have one?
- If you chose aero road bike, would you go for the Canyon Aeroad (pro geometry), Ultimate (pro sport geo), or Endurace (sport geo)?